Forums > General > How many motorists does it take to change a lightbulb?

HOW MANY MOTORISTS DOES IT TAKE TO CHANGE A LIGHTBULB?
Previous | 123 | Next

I have a bulb out (N/S low beam). When did this become such a faff?

To replace the bulb I need to strip the frunk and all sorts of faff. Apparently there is a chance the bulb type may vary, so I need to do this, check, get bulbs, strip again, fit bulb.

Are Osram Night Breakers still the low beam of choice? Any downsides?
My lights aren't bad, but they're not as good as Xenons. If I have to take the car apart, I may as well do both.

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

mr2 roadster?

ours where a total pig to change ...

--

Making pancake mix on your mums pancake tits

WIBBLE

They're easy compared to some cars!

ONB's still give quite a yellow light, if that bothers you. I fitted some 'show use only' MTEC's.

Cheers,
Jon

I'll be sticking with road legal stuff.

I'm glad it's not a Megane, but surely this is a design issue. Manufacturers clearly don't care about owners replacing consumables.

--

I'm happy with Nightbreakers. Much better in the E46 than the 996 though, and both are better than the E53 ever was.

--

It's not a Golf

Si_ said...

I'm glad it's not a Megane, but surely this is a design issue. Manufacturers clearly don't care about owners replacing consumables.

Of course they don't. margins are so slim they have to try and make money back on parts and servicing.

If someone tries to change their bulb, and realises it's a bit more involved than removing a cap and popping them in, the chances are they'll go to their dealer and pay x amount for them to do it.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

Or give Halfords £3.

--

I thought the EU had put paid the manufacturers requiring bumpers to be removed etc.?

I was pretty sure that the French requirement that you should be able to change your bulb by the side of the road meant that the current crop aren't as bad as the Megane-era cars.

Si_ said...

Or give Halfords £3.

Well, yes, but a lot of people think their car will implode if anyone other than a manufacturer trained technician even breathes too closely to their car's oily bits.

surprising how many relatively new cars you see with failed bulbs too.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

integrale_evo said...

surprising how many relatively new cars you see with failed bulbs too.

Absolutely! I saw a 61 with a bulb out yeaterday. Then realised it was 2013 :?

The RR Sport has very directional LED tail lights. I was leaning from side to side in traffic trying to work out if the n/s one was half out or not. Odd design.

--

integrale_evo said...

Si_ said...

Or give Halfords £3.

Well, yes, but a lot of people think their car will implode if anyone other than a manufacturer trained technician even breathes too closely to their car's oily bits.

I would be scared of my car imploding if someone from Halfords tried to change a bulb.

--

It's not a Golf

the headlight bulbs on the megane make that car bloody dangerous..
My brother has one
I once had to deliver it to the supplying dealer to the the o/s headlight replaced . Drove with the foglights on so ppl knew it was a car and not a bike. Wouldn't want to drive one in the dark with the headlights blown if it had no foglights fitted.

POS that megane its a wonder renaultsport made a decent car outta it

Si_ said...

To change the headlight on the 166 required 4 joints in your arm between the elbow and wrist.

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

I've seen a couple of new-shape (F10) 5-series with one front headlight not working.

I got Osram Night Breaker Plus for the MX5 when I replaced the sealed beam headlights. They're great, and they're whiter than normal halogens but still properly road legal.

Haven't had a go on the Mazda yet, but the Volvo (and Micra before it) was a right doddle.

On the Volvo you slid up the locking pin and the whole light assembly slid out. Disconnect the power lead and then flip the little latchy bits on the bulb and voila!

Did the front O/S main beam bulb in a motorway services car park in less than two minutes.

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

Jimmy Choo said...

Si_ said...

To change the headlight on the 166 required 4 joints in your arm between the elbow and wrist.

A 147 needs 5 and a 156 needs 6! I actually needed a new headlight on the 147 (and fingers) after my ham fisted attempt at changing the bulb.

Updated July 3, 2013 at 2:03 PM

--

Your opinion is very important for me. Thank you please.

DeskJockey said...

Haven't had a go on the Mazda yet, but the Volvo (and Micra before it) was a right doddle.

On the Volvo you slid up the locking pin and the whole light assembly slid out. Disconnect the power lead and then flip the little latchy bits on the bulb and voila!

Did the front O/S main beam bulb in a motorway services car park in less than two minutes.

This is how I imagine it should work.

--

JezH said...

Jimmy Choo said...

Si_ said...

A 147 needs 5 and a 156 needs 6! I actually needed a new headlight on the 147 (and fingers) after my ham fisted attempt at changing the bulb.

only had to replace a sidelight bulb in the gt ... access doesn't seem that bad though

Disco3 = 30 seconds to remove each headlamp unit. Changing any of the bulbs is a doddle.

VXR8 nearside = 1 minute to change. Plenty of access.
Offside = 30mins. Need to remove a front wheel and go in through the wheelarch liner. Massive PITA.

Updated July 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM

1er. 30s to get in and pop the cover off the back at which point you think this is going to be a right doddle.

2 minutes to prise off the absurdly strong metal clip which you fear (through years of French ownership) is liable to snap/ping off into the depths of the engine bay/take your eye out.

30s to change the bulb.

10mins to try and wrestle the damn scaffolding back into position, all the time digging the metal right into the soft tissue of your digits. Time also includes for attempted use of flat-headed screwdriver to assist, but to no avail, lots of swearing (in Deutsch of course) retriving the torch you've been holding in your teeth so you can see what you're trying to clip home.

And upon return to the house, with cuts up arms, purple bruise marks on your fingers, and a look of triumph on your face and the wife doesn't even say thanks :evil:

Updated July 3, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Previous | 123 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular