Forums > Moaning forum > Parenting in 2013

PARENTING IN 2013
Previous | 1234 | Next

We just came back from our honeymoon and noticed a disgusting display by at least half the parents.

They simply don't look after their kids, they throw them an electronic device or simply stare at their phones for hours on end.

One particularly lovely family at the same table at us during some Teriyaki barely looked up when the chef was doing his cool moves.

We were genuinely amazed by the amount of kids being ignored while people twiddled with their phones, the ones actualy engaging with their kids seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

Went out for a meal for my dads 70th on sat. My 2 and 4 year old niece and nephew were in attendance. Id have been pleased if they sat quietly looking at their stuff. They ruined all conversation and my peroni as uncle simon likes their discarded lemons in there oh yes.

I think if you have your own one day you'd reach a point where you want them to leave you alone for a bit.

My sister was telling me of her none life - sounded amazing :lol::lol::cry:

As a child growing up in the 1970's I knew that I had to behave appropriately at social functions otherwise a tanning of my ar5e would take place at a suitable moment after the event. One look from a parent let me know that there was line that was about to be crossed and that if I were to proceed with my course of action then I would have to suffer the consequences.

I found that it taught a certain sense of responsibility for ones own actions that proves invaluable throughout life's many adventures.

It seems that a lot of kids nowadays are rather unruly as they know that the consequences of their actions are a little tame in comparison to "in my day" so sitting them down with an electronic device might seem the only way some modern, relatively powerless parents can keep their kids under control.

:)

Bollocks, you were a little shit and you're remembering it wrong. If your parents read this, they'd laugh.

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

GraniteV8 said...

We just came back from our honeymoon and noticed a disgusting display by at least half the parents.

They simply don't look after their kids, they throw them an electronic device or simply stare at their phones for hours on end.

One particularly lovely family at the same table at us during some Teriyaki barely looked up when the chef was doing his cool moves.

We were genuinely amazed by the amount of kids being ignored while people twiddled with their phones, the ones actualy engaging with their kids seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Dave!

When you have bear cubs, remember this.

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

:roll: We were all little angels :twisted:

Just remember that times have changed and you can't really hit your kids anymore (not hard anyway). My kids aren't the best. With their mother, they are right pains in the ar5e. However, when I'm around, it only takes one look.

They both play with theirs DSs or on our phones if we need them to shut up a bit. This doesn't really bother me as they always repond if we speak to them (almost all the time) and say please and thank you.

Times have changed. Get used to it ;)

--

Nuts on the road

I rarely judge other people on their parenting. Partially because I don't have any kids but mostly because you never know the whole story.

My sister's son has Asperger syndrome and at the best of times he's unruly. Sometimes he'll completely lose his shit in public and you can see other people judging you but you just have to ignore it and focus on trying to get him calmed down.

Obviously there are shitty parents around but looking after kids is about a million times harder than people who've never had them can imagine so don't be too harsh on the breeders :).

Updated July 3, 2013 at 8:49 AM

--

I often drive for a road travel

I cannot understand why you would have kids then not interact and play as often as possible. I know that although at the moment I get told I am the best Daddy in the world daily it will not last and all too soon I will be an embarrassment to her. I am making the most of it in the meantime and hopefully they will both carry on being well adjusted and polite kids.

If not, I will blame the wife! :)

Not being able to beat them is no excuse for misbehavior. I never got hit as a kid, but I knew not to cross my mum. If I played up, something I valued would be taken away, and she didn't back down.

"Do that again and you're grounded for the weekend"
*does that again*
Come Saturday, it's my friend's birthday party, or the grandparents have offered to take me to a movie: no.

Adjust the thing of value according to the age of the child

SimonB said...

They ruined all conversation and my peroni as uncle simon likes their discarded lemons in there oh yes.

Maybe they'd read your posts on here about not drinking any more and were trying to help ;)

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

phut said...

Not being able to beat them is no excuse for misbehavior.

I was thinking that.

I have seen some friends with mental kids which are exteremely hard to control. But if you put an iPad in front of them playing a cartoon it's like some Derren Brown mind trick; they're under. I can see why they use it.

--

Food | Large format print & graphics

childless adult moaning about other peoples parenting skills non shocker :)

To be honest our kids our pretty good and we go out as a family to eat most weekends. Ben the older autistic one often has one of our iphones to play with at the table as when he wants to leave the table nothing we tell him will stop him however an iphone will.

Sam the terror is different he can usually be calmed down with another bread roll to add to the two he has already crammed in his mouth.

We are all wary of disturbing other people enjoyment of their meals, anything for an easy life and all that.

I had donkey kong when I was a kid, have things really changed ?

Updated July 3, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Even the best parents aren't on form 24 hours a day and there's nothing wrong with kids learning to behave without constant attention. It's bloody hard work entertaining kids from what I've seen/experienced - they were probably just staring straight through their phone screens in a vague attempt to shut off for a break!

--

Cheers

Rich

Jobbo said...

Maybe they'd read your posts on here about not drinking any more and were trying to help ;)

Haha possibly. I was driving so don't think 2 lemony lagers would bother my pancreas.

To their credit tho they didn't bother the rest of the restaurant which is a massive bugbear of mine.

The thing is you're only witnessing a snapshot of the parents and their kids. Sometimes your kids can be little angels without you doing anything different and sometimes they're absolute monsters despite trying everything Supernanny says you should do.

I fell out with an old couple in a restaurant on holiday once. We were playing games at the table with the kids to keep them occupied rather than have them playing up whilst we waited for food. The woman rather haughtily told us that restaurants were for eating and not for playing. So you can't win, either we're wrong for interacting with the kids and enjoying ourselves or we're wrong for keeping them quiet with the DS/iPhone/iPad etc.

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

I judge everyone and everything.

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

Ignoring kids for hours on end for the win.

I've never witnessed so much of it in my life, I certainly don't see it with family and friends all sat staring at phones instead of actually being together.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

NotoriousREV said...

The thing is you're only witnessing a snapshot of the parents and their kids. Sometimes your kids can be little angels without you doing anything different and sometimes they're absolute monsters despite trying everything Supernanny says you should do.

I fell out with an old couple in a restaurant on holiday once. We were playing games at the table with the kids to keep them occupied rather than have them playing up whilst we waited for food. The woman rather haughtily told us that restaurants were for eating and not for playing. So you can't win, either we're wrong for interacting with the kids and enjoying ourselves or we're wrong for keeping them quiet with the DS/iPhone/iPad etc.

Are playing games or playing on handheld devices the only possible options at a restaurant?

We wouldn't do either of those things ourselves.

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

NotoriousREV said...

Bollocks, you were a little shit and you're remembering it wrong. If your parents read this, they'd laugh.

:lol:

Surely you cannot be suggesting that I am looking back through rose tinted spectacles. I am positive that I was the model of a perfect child. I must go seek reassurance from mother!

;)

Are playing games or playing on handheld devices the only possible options at a restaurant?

We wouldn't do either of those things ourselves.

Books, cars, etcher sketch, colouring pad ? same thing surely shirley

Previous | 1234 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular