Forums > General > Goodbye Insignia, hello Avensis

GOODBYE INSIGNIA, HELLO AVENSIS
Previous | 12 | Next

The Insignia has gone and it might even be missed for a while!

Had an amazing ability to cause travel-sickness, particularly in the rear, but also I found myself feeling a bit nauseous in the front at times.

It had a terrible diesel clatter at idle, much worse than the previous A3, but upto speed on the motorway it was quiet and refined enough. Bit of diesel vibration but not too bad.
And it was huge. Enormous boot and loads of legroom. Seats were very good. Supportive and better on long journeys than the Astra we had.

Ride was pretty poor, maybe not helped by the 18" wheels, but it did stay quite flat.
However I took it for a more spirited drive over the weekend and it didn't like that at all! The steering was just dreadful, no feel, no feedback, would either turn too much or not enough so I was constantly having to do small corrections. And of course the diesel didn't offer any more performance over the, admittedly, impressive initial offering.

So not great, but it might be missed because for one month only we have an Avensis...
Much smaller on the inside. Feels very narrow, boot is smaller. Seats are horribly hard with no support, 1.8 petrol engine is quieter, but gutless and displays little willingness to rev either. Softer suspension, but much less jiggly so hopefully no travel-sickness.
Noisier on the motorway with increased wind and tyre noise.
Steering is apparently much better though.

Interior quality is several notches down from the big Vauxhall.

Frankly the 3-Series cannot arrive too soon.

Updated June 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

I had an insignia SRi with 20" wheels for a month when we were over in the UK. Modern, roomy and as you say very quiet.

Sadly the 1.8 petrol engine was gutless so despite decent handling with average steering feedback it was luke warm at best.

Rather have one over a Ford or Toyota!

readmoo condensed

--

I'd rather be wrong than dull

You're lucky you've got some interesting cars too mark, or I'd be campaigning for you to be banned for posting such a dull thread! ;)

--

Cheers

Rich

I find it quite refreshing to drive the automotive equivalent of porridge sometimes.

It makes you appreciate the full english more. :)

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Stirring someone elses porridge may have tempered your view.

--

Waiting to die.

At this rate, you'll have a different car every week. I've probably missed a thread on why you have so many cars for a little while?

Anyway, you must be so glad you've got a GT-R in the garage too, for when the porridge gets a bit too much. :D

Christine got a new job that included a company car.
Except the company were in the process of changing their supplier.
So we have have a range of temporary hirecars until that was sorted out.

Hence Astra->A3->Insignia->Avensis

Now it is sorted out we had to choose from a list of 316, 118, A3, B-Class, Avensis, Insignia, Prius, CT300, V70.

316 arrives end of July.

--

Has that list changed since you first asked for opinions? I'd be intrigued to try the A3 and V70, though I imagine the V70 would be a 1.6 diesel.

Mark BT52 said...

316 arrives end of July.

That'll make the spec C feel special :D

Weymouth utrVen

Updated June 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM

--

I'd rather be wrong than dull

Mark BT52 said...

Now it is sorted out we had to choose from a list of 316, 118, A3, B-Class, Avensis, Insignia, Prius, CT300, V70.

316 arrives end of July.

CT300? - I'd have that! (Though I'm guessing this is a typo and you mean the CT200h - which I would not have!)

316 is the pick of that sorry bunch!

--

Cheers

Rich

Jobbo said...

Has that list changed since you first asked for opinions? I'd be intrigued to try the A3 and V70, though I imagine the V70 would be a 1.6 diesel.

You would be correct it's a 1.6, but actually I was wrong, it's a V60 :oops:
(Ironically the 316 is actually a 2.0)

It seemed a little small and dull. And very slow on paper.
Christine had a problem with Volvo image, although I thought it was a great looking car.

A3 only came onto the list recently, thought it would feel too small again.

--

Rich B said...

Mark BT52 said...

316 arrives end of July.

CT300? - I'd have that! (Though I'm guessing this is a typo and you mean the CT200h - which I would not have!)

316 is the pick of that sorry bunch!

D'oh, yes CT200. Pathetic boot. Pathetic interior space.

--

Mark BT52 said...

You would be correct it's a 1.6, but actually I was wrong, it's a V60 :oops:
(Ironically the 316 is actually a 2.0)

It seemed a little small and dull. And very slow on paper.
Christine had a problem with Volvo image, although I thought it was a great looking car.

A3 only came onto the list recently, thought it would feel too small again.

Ah yes, I did say last time I'd be interested in the V60. Volvo manage to make their higher spec cars look quite desirable these days.

Still intrigued about the A3. I suspect it'd feel more like white goods than the 316d, but I liked the mk7 Golf far more than I expected and it didn't feel cramped in the back nor have a tiny boot. Not sure whether it'd be fair to compare it to an F30 though.

I think Volvo do a similar thing to vauxhall - their new models are quite striking the first time you see them, but seem to look dated very quickly after - not helped by their brand image.

The V60 looks great, but I'd still not want one for the reasons above.

--

Cheers

Rich

The A3 we had at the start of the year felt very small compared to even the Astra, but that wasn't the very latest model so not a fair comparison. Impressive refinement from a 4 Cyl diesel though.

I'd imagine this year's car is a lot bigger, but probably still not up with the 3-Series.

I guess it is only because it is poverty ES spec that a 3 even appears on the list. (Although we do get Nav added)

Is there no such equivalent pauper A4 or C-class? (Or maybe the servicing works out cheaper with the BMW)

--

V40 - Small rear space / small boot
V50 - Small rear space / big boot
V60 - Big rear space / small boot
V70 - Big rear space / big boot

HTH

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

Dinny_G said...

HTH

Also
V40 - pretty
V50 - ugly
V60 - pretty
V70 - ugly

--

Rich B said...

I think Volvo do a similar thing to vauxhall - their new models are quite striking the first time you see them, but seem to look dated very quickly after - not helped by their brand image.

This. I was actually thinking that the other day when I was parked next to a newish Astra and a new Cascada. Amazing how these slick, nice looking cars now appeared to be so utterly boring.

Mark BT52 said...

Dinny_G said...

HTH

Also
V40 - pretty
V50 - ugly
V60 - pretty
V70 - ugly

So Volvo's are pretty ugly all round then :lol:

"Goodbye Insignia, hello Avensis" - the thrill of driving.

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular