Forums > General > £15k Heroes - Any suggestions welcome

£15K HEROES - ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME
Previous | 1234 | Next

I'm in the market for a new car and I was hoping to get some inspiration from the motorists on here, as no matter how hard I seem to look I keep arriving at the same car...

My criteria is as follows:

Rear Wheel Drive – (front drive not an option having been a Beemer boy for the past 8 years)
Sub 7sec 0-60 – (previous cars include e46 M3 and e39 M5, so preferably sub 6sec really)
No bigger than 3.5ltr – (previous car was an e39 M5 in central London, 8MPG anyone?)

I’m also keen to get something that’s reached the bottom of its depreciation curve, as I’ll probably want to sell it to buy something practical in 2-3 years’ time as we’re planning a family.

The biggest one though, is that whatever I choose will need to be reliable enough to take on a 1500 mile European trip to the south of France and Spain where we plan to honeymoon after getting married next year.

I considered an old Merc 300SL, maybe an 1988 model or something, but I just don’t know if I’d want to live with it on daily basis, would I regret it when the weather turns nasty again??

I also considered a Boxter, but my price range (around £15k) seems to only get you an early one, and really I’d be after the 3.2 or 3.4s.

With all the above I keep on coming back to the same car…… an e46 M3 CS.

It seems the prices have solidified around the £12-£16k mark, and as I’ve previously owned an M3 (albeit I made a mistake and bought the convertible SMG when I should have gone for the manual coupe) I know exactly what I’m getting.

Am I overlooking anything? Can anyone point me in the direction of something else that might be fit for the above purposes?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

I like a CS. Be sure to post up a few pics when you get it!

Can you get a Toyota engined S2 Elise for that money? That would be just about perfect for that kind of trip.

Edit - As long as your missus can pack light.;)

Updated May 13, 2013 at 1:53 PM

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Great minds....I had exactly the same idea, but:

A: On a three week honeymoon, packing light wont be an option.

B: The best you can get for that money is the K Series 111, Toyota engined exapmples being a little out of my price range unfortunately.

Also, this will be my daily driver, and while i love the Elise. I'd probabyl want an X5 on the drive too!

We did two weeks away in my Exige (to Sorrento and back) and I fail to see why you would need to pack any more for three weeks... just get your clothes washed.;)

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Benny13 said...

I'm a BMW fanboi and want an M3 CS, please agree with my choice.

Sure, go for it.

--

It's not a Golf | Neither is this | This one's just a posh Beetle

A friend of mine has an '88 300SL - 0-60 is probably close to 10s, not sub-7, and economy isn't great. They're also very much classic cars now so not all that sensible for everyday use.

As for only early Boxsters being under £15k...?! Even when I bought mine back in 2010 an early 987 was no more than £14k from a dealer. You'd easily find a wide range of Boxster 3.4s for £15k now.

Sundayjumper said...

Benny13 said...

I'm a BMW fanboi and want an M3 CS, please agree with my choice.

Sure, go for it.

Haha, i can see why you say that, however thats exactly my predicament. But serioiusly I'm open to considering other things...

I was even looking at Jag XK's the other day, there is a lovely looking black "final edition" model on PH which looks awesome in black with black leather. But they depreciate SO FAST, you can get an early XK for under £3000 now.
So spend £12k on one now and have it worth £5-6k in 3 years if i'm lucky??

What about a Maserati 3200 GT?
They seem to be in the price range, are relatively modern cars and may not depreciate too much from now...

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

If it's any help, I used to be a massive BMW fanboi, mainly E36s (about a dozen of them all the way from 316 to M3), but also E30, E38, E39, E53 along the way and I still have an E46 Touring for dogs / gardening duties but my main car is now a 996 and I'm very happy with it. Glad I went for it over an E46.

--

It's not a Golf | Neither is this | This one's just a posh Beetle

Jobbo said...

A friend of mine has an '88 300SL - 0-60 is probably close to 10s, not sub-7, and economy isn't great. They're also very much classic cars now so not all that sensible for everyday use.

As for only early Boxsters being under £15k...?! Even when I bought mine back in 2010 an early 987 was no more than £14k from a dealer. You'd easily find a wide range of Boxster 3.4s for £15k now.

Yes i'm aware the 300SL's are slow, I dont think it was ever really an option but I was trying to thnk outside the box. My main reason for consideration was resale value, unlikely that you would lose any money in 3yrs. plus they look so cool!

Boxters - I'm not sure which one's are which. All i know is when I was looking on the net the ones i really wanted were a little out my price range and where starting at around £17 - £18k

Plus i'm a little scared of making the jump to two seats only.

Is there anything to worry about?

I'm honest the Boxter is interesting. Would you recomend ownership if it were your only car?

Sapphire Cosworth.

Of all the cars mentioned, the CS just does everything so well and still looks a pretty thing.

The Cossie will be just as much fun (stage III), but finding a good one will be a mission and a half, they're starting to look dated and parts for them are becoming increasingly hard to find.

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

pilouil said...

What about a Maserati 3200 GT?
They seem to be in the price range, are relatively modern cars and may not depreciate too much from now...

Yeah, i did look at them. I dont know why but i'm just not blown away by them. I liked the boomerang rear lights when they came out, hmmmm....

What are they like for reliablilty and servicing costs?

Impreza

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Benny13 said...

Boxters - I'm not sure which one's are which. All i know is when I was looking on the net the ones i really wanted were a little out my price range and where starting at around £17 - £18k

Plus i'm a little scared of making the jump to two seats only.

Is there anything to worry about?

I'm honest the Boxter is interesting. Would you recomend ownership if it were your only car?

I'd say the Boxster is a fine only car - better in that role than as a second car (as mine was) since it's far too usable just to get out at weekends. Obviously 2 seats is a limiting factor but there is plenty of space in the two boots.

I'd suggest having a look at the market for Boxsters; there are loads for sale at any time and they didn't change that much year on year, except for PDK replacing Tiptronic which would probably be too late for your budget.

Economy will be better than an M5, running costs can be a bit pricey, but the main thing is that you should probably keep up a proper Porsche warranty to cover you if the engine blows.

You should/might be able to find a Toyota engined 111R for £15k?

JIC on the Boxster. Plenty of 987s in S spec with <50k for your budget. I sat in a mate's the other weekend though and was full of 'meh', as the kids say.

--

This ^

You'd get a decent facelift Porsche 996 for that money.

--

I like it round the 'ring.

i'd be looking at 911s. this 4S looks good 8)
ebay

although plenty of nice carreras if it has to be rwd.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

integrale_evo said...

ebay

that C4S looks very, very good

integrale_evo said...

ebay

haha, since somone suggested the 911, i'd actually been looking at that exact one. Looks nice in black/black.

At the risk of offending 996 owners, I was so happy when Porsche decided to return to round headlights, and i know that if i were to get a 996, every time i saw a 997 i'd be gutted i didnt shell out for one of them. This is tempting though.... hmmm....

Previous | 1234 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular