Forums > General > Caterham vs Cayenne

CATERHAM VS CAYENNE
Previous | 123 | Next

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRvUH1sJvEQ

Bit of daft from Dickie Meaden. The Cayenne powerslides beautifully :D

Enjoyed that. Reminded me of my Cayenne experience - uncanny grip on smoothe tarmac, but no tactile pleasure in there, and the whole thing felt very unsettled - mid corner bumps sending shimmies through the whole car.

Glad to see Dickie appears as confused by the whole concept of "performance 4x4" as I am.....

It's not a very complimentary camera angle in the Cayenne...
The reason I'd want a 4x4 would be ride comfort, to deal with terrible roads effortlessly. I wouldn't mind numb controls as long as I was similarly isolated from everything else.

--

Moon on a stick.

nuttinnew said...

The reason I'd want a 4x4 would be ride comfort, to deal with terrible roads effortlessly. I wouldn't mind numb controls as long as I was similarly isolated from everything else.

Yet it looks like it may be numb controls and not isolated, shimmy in the corners etc.

nuttinnew said...

Which is what you get in some proper 4x4's. But you cant get in a "sports" 4x4. (Imho)

Range Rover V8.

I'm Marvin and I want a Caterham.

--

Speed holes.

Chris after watching that I really want to drive your car on track :lol:

--

Done.

I rather want a go at Bedford specifically. Should happen over the summer Dan!

speedingfine said...

I'm up for that, I'll do you a swap if you promise not to bin it.

--

Done.

was anyone expecting anything different? the caterham was obviously going to murder it.

definitely entertaining though, gotta respect the uncanny power the cayenne is making. i want to see the jeep srt8 on track - 0-60mph 5.1 seconds :shock:

Dan said...

speedingfine said...

I'm up for that, I'll do you a swap if you promise not to bin it.

Heh you can happily drive mine, but too nervous to drive yours :) Maybe one day on the road though!

Lightweight Lotus based "track biased" car beats 3 ton lard arsed 4x4 shocker! :shock:

Daddydadbo said...

Lightweight Lotus based "track biased" car beats 3 ton lard arsed 4x4 shocker! :shock:

You're not surprised that a massive 4x4 gets within 2secs of the Caterham's time? Mr Meaden highlighted on Twatter that it was a full second faster than the archive time for an E46 M3 CSL.

I still find these facts barely believable, but these vids prove that - with enough power + grip you can make unlikely vehicles do surprising things. Little pleasure in the experience however, and - ironically in my head - as soon as the surface gets a bit rougher the 4x4 takes a disproportionate hit.

The Cayenne I drove wasn't a turbot but it had the air suspension and 20" wheel upgrade : if you were giving a lecture on unsprung mass it would be the perfect demo platform : hit a ridge mid corner and the whole thing shimmied during the battle to control the masses....

Note to Dickie : if doing another one of these, can you remind us of the times at the end? I didn't commit the Porsche time to memory, so had to scroll back to find it.

Marv said...

I'm Marvin and I want a Caterham.

+11ty (apart from not being Marvin)

That Supersport looks nicely set up too. Shame I can't afford to have one of those and the Exige. I will have one at some point!

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Can someone give me a clicky for where I can hire a 7 for a weekend?

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

duncs500 said...

Can someone give me a clicky for where I can hire a 7 for a weekend?

Presumably you want to be able to drive it properly...

openroad

highlandhire

The latter have a CSR200.

Updated May 12, 2013 at 10:28 AM

nice vid, i know which one i would want to live with every day thou

--

Making pancake mix on your mums pancake tits

WIBBLE

Cameron_Hill said...

w i want to see the jeep srt8 on track - 0-60mph 5.1 seconds :shock:

slower than the cayenne turbo s then...

--

Cheers

Rich

Rich B said...

Cameron_Hill said...

w i want to see the jeep srt8 on track - 0-60mph 5.1 seconds :shock:

slower than the cayenne turbo s then...

i thought the turbo s did 0-60 in 6.1 seconds? but thats the gts.

ah right turbo s 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. my bad.

Previous | 123 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular