Forums > General > Flappy paddle usage

FLAPPY PADDLE USAGE
Previous | 1 | Next

I've got them in my car, and thought to myself, I very rarely use them. Stick it in Drive and just let the car get on with it.

Does anyone make use of them in day to day driving? I did have a go driving home tonight. Makes me want to drive faster :twisted:

Also read earlier that the Range Rover Evoque is getting the first ZF 9 speed auto 'box. Can't imagine what that's like to use in manual mode!

I used them rarely in my GTi, stuck the thing in auto and wished I'd bought a manual.

Exact opposite in the M3, tried auto once stuck it back into 'manual' and used the paddles / lever every single time.

I use mine all the time. However, it's a Picasso diesel and I try to consume a little as possible on my commute.

I love mine :D

--

I can only please one person a day. Today is not your day and tomorrow don't look good either.

Depends entirely on the car and journey. I looked for ages for an Audi Allroad with the Tiptronic buttons on the steering wheel as I was certain I would use them. I think I did. Once.

In the GT-R, I let it start in Auto whilst it's warming up, then switch to Manual unless in stop-start traffic.

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

David_Yu said...

Depends entirely on the car and journey. I looked for ages for an Audi Allroad with the Tiptronic buttons on the steering wheel as I was certain I would use them. I think I did. Once.

In the GT-R, I let it start in Auto whilst it's warming up, then switch to Manual unless in stop-start traffic.

Thats exactly it. On a family/dog wagon you're never ever going to use them. Anything remotely fun to drive you will.

Other comment above: I was reading about the 9 speed gearbox just earlier wondering who would ever venture into all of those gears with the paddles.... :roll:

I honestly cannot see the point in 8 or 9 speed gearboxes. Why not just give up and fit a CVT?

6 is plenty, with maybe a 7th for cruising overdrive.

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

R32 - yes all the time. Very rarely used Auto

A5 - rarely used it all

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

I thought 9 was overkill. I've not driven anything with more then 6 gears. I could imagine the 7th overdrive gear being useful on the motorway, but 1 or 2 more? That said the ZF 8 speed does get really good reviews.

I use the paddle shift in my S6 quite a lot, as in D it wants to get into 6th as quickly as possible, and dicks about changing down 2 or 3 gears every time you squeeze a bit of throttle on. Annoying.

So I let it get away in D (starts in 2nd, as pulling away in 1st in manual mode is utterly pointless) then slide it into Manual mode and keep it in the gear I want.

--

Tim

M135i 8 Speed Auto. Alpine White. Faster than Yu.

I use the manual mode on my 996 Tip if I come into a series of twisties and or if I up the pace a bit to have a little fun. Other than that I'd drive away in auto if on a motorway or in heavy traffic.
I think it is great to have the choice being honest.

Always preferred to use the gear lever on my SMG. Never used the Auto mode and had to remind myself I had paddles every so often.

On m ways and in traffic I leave it in auto

Every where else I use the paddles, I tend to use the stick when chasing down the box breaking into a corner and on slow twisty stuff

--

WIBBLE

JohnmcS2000 said...

I use the manual mode on my 996 Tip if I come into a series of twisties and or if I up the pace a bit to have a little fun. Other than that I'd drive away in auto if on a motorway or in heavy traffic.
I think it is great to have the choice being honest.

That's how I've always used my Tiptronic/Steptronic autos. Mostly they haven't had paddles or buttons on the steering wheel but that hasn't changed my usage. Which is mostly about keeping it in gear rather than changing gear.

Perfect example would be moving from D to M when getting off the A74(M) for the last 40 miles to Edinburgh up the A702. Much more comfortable to change down before a bend, for instance.

Re: 9 speed box, it's not like a manual where you need to know which gear you are in at any point, with an auto you just go up or down if you want more or less acceleration/revs - who cares what the number is.

--

Cheers

Rich

The paddles on mine are wheel mounted, and I've found it really awkward pulling away in first in to a turn. Have to either rev up and wait for the wheel to centre up or try and catch it whilst in a random position.

Updated February 28, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I think I never use the auto mode in the 599 GTB - actually the first thing after starting is to trigger the manual mode, typically by engaging second gear with the right paddle before it shifts automatically (the F1 box is in auto mode by default at startup).

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

9 speeds is far too many, you barely use any rev range and any application of the throttle has you jumping up and down a few gears like Tim says.

The ML500 was great with its box but only when leaving it in comfort, in standard mode it was shifting far too much when connected to that engine.

Letting an engine work and hearing and feeling the character change as it does this is one of the fun things to do in a car. Swapping gears every few seconds and using a 1500rpm rev band makes it sound and feel like a city bus.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

I'm always flipping it around to get in the right gear for manoeuvres.

--

Large format print & graphics

Brannen said...

The paddles on mine are wheel mounted, and I've found it really awkward pulling away in first in to a turn. Have to either rev up and wait for the wheel to centre up or try and catch it whilst in a random position.

i have driven cars with wheel mounted paddles and column mounted paddles, neither are ideal, there is always positions where there in the wrong place but it happens less often with wheel mounted paddles imo

why i use the paddles and stick changer

--

WIBBLE

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular