Forums > General > Following on from the Evo forum track day post...

FOLLOWING ON FROM THE EVO FORUM TRACK DAY POST...
Previous | 1234 | Next

...hands up who HASN'T taken their current car on a track day and then explain reasons why not?

I'm just curious as to what deters people from doing so? Obviously economic reasons excluded, as that is a given for not doing something.

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

Hands up.

I drive a 11 year old Volvo V40 with 145k miles and a bit of rust.

Need I go on ??

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

I bought a lotus Elise 2years ago to start doing track days in went on my first one and failed the noise test :( not been on one since

--

New Skool Turbo Power

YouTube Channel

Even though I've had the opportunity to drive my car on track, it would need some suspension and brake upgrades first which I don't see the point on doing as it's my daily car. If it was a second car then I'd love to do some track days.

And I don't have a second car because I'd have nowhere to put it, and the economic reasons of course.

I dont have a car right now, but if the HP4 comes off then I'm going to go and do some noobs group track days on it.

--

Bunta's Tofu

Yep, the cost (more the consumables, rather than the cost of the event) has kind of put the idea out of my head for a while, But I'll get round to it one of these days...

How much do you spend on a day (averaged out) LOLbird?

--

Cheers

Rich

My car is pretty slow so I can explore its limits on any old country road.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Not really got the time nor the money being a student. Plus, I have a feeling despite the Civic not being slow that I will just get in peoples way even if I'm giving it death.

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

I've never taken any car on a trackday. I've done a couple of track experience days and that's it. My plan was to buy a cheap RS Clio 172 and give it death at Oulton this year but then I accidentally bought the Merc coupe :?

--

Out of step with the forum.

Lack of talent :D

I'd love some proper tuition but like most things, the more confidence and interest you establish, the more money it will inevitably cost.

Alex88 said...

Even though I've had the opportunity to drive my car on track, it would need some suspension and brake upgrades first

But you have a Puma!

Whilst I've taken mine on track a few times now, I've needed time away because I quickly got to the cars limit on track (lack of grip in my case) & therefore lost the inclination to go back.

Sure, I could spunk £600 on a set of wheels & 888's, but then you end up needing more power. I can easily see how & Why you've got your car to such a level Mike! :lol:

I will go back to combe with it in the summer though, just to re-kindle my love for it.

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

Rich B said...

Yep, the cost (more the consumables, rather than the cost of the event) has kind of put the idea out of my head for a while, But I'll get round to it one of these days...

How much do you spend on a day (averaged out) LOLbird?

Normally just fuel and cost of the track day, but obviously every now and again you get a big bill when pads and / or tyres need replacing prior to an event or just after one.

Front discs (due to their size) tend last a few years, but when they do need replacing, it's eye watering even at trade prices.

As to the average, I have never bothered to sit down and work it out as it would probably deter me (in the same way working out how much all the cars "owe" me would be a bad idea :lol: ).

I tend to look at things from a "if I can afford to do it, I will" kind of attitude - you're only on this planet for a short time..... And as the saying goes, you tend to regret all the things you never did as opposed to all the things you actually did.....

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

If I'm 100% honest I don't find it that fun :oops:

I tracked my MK1 Golf gti (2.0 16v) and played with busty driven Elises. I did a tutorial day in a GTI6 and a good day passengering in a Tamora but nothing silly fast.

Unless I had a Caterham or dedicated track car I much prefer a good cross country drive.

If I did a proper track day in the Merc it would be just plain abuse.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

I quite want to get out on track this year :)

Never really had the right car... Mk2 golf gti was nice but too old to thrash. didnt own the 306gti-6 for long enough. Puma would have been OK, but felt like I might have been a bit unwelcome amongst the gt3s and evos....
Am determined to get out there this year.... Mk3 mr2 should be just quick enough, but more importantly fun enough..

Hopefully doing a novice day at Cadwell in April 8)

First one for years. Of course cost & the right car are a factor, but trackdays generally have changed so that it's not so much 'run what you brung' anymore; quite ofen it's race-suited idiots doing unofficial testing in pretty fugging quick stuff. The speed differential that creates is pretty dangerous.

Cheers,
Jon

Just Jon Innit said...

quite ofen it's race-suited idiots doing unofficial testing in pretty fugging quick stuff. The speed differential that creates is pretty dangerous.

Cheers,
Jon

I'm doing a day at Donington soon and 90% of the cars entered are racing the following weekend. That's going to be interesting.

You say fuel costs, having never been on a track day, are we talking a tank, 2 tanks? What's normal for a half decent car (bearing in mind I averaged 11mpg up and down the stelvio pass, I'd expect worse on a track.)

--

Cheers

Rich

N said...

Alex88 said...

Even though I've had the opportunity to drive my car on track, it would need some suspension and brake upgrades first

But you have a Puma!

Haven't seen that in a while! 8)

Previous | 1234 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular