Forums > General > OT - Private healthcare.

OT - PRIVATE HEALTHCARE.
Previous | 12 | Next

Pretty much fed up of waiting to get appointments with the GP for pretty minor things so had a quick look at the Bupa site. Does anyone have any recommendations for others to look at or is it best just to stick to the 'brand name'? No point paying extra for healthcare cover and then finding you still have to wait 14 days for a GP appointment.

We are on Standard Life, now known as PruHealth and they have been very good with covering on-going check ups.
Don't know about how they compare pricewise as I can't shop around now with my medical history.

But one point, all PMI involves first getting an appointment with the GP then getting referred. It doesn't bypass that stage unfortunately.

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

David_Yu said...

But one point, all PMI involves first getting an appointment with the GP then getting referred. It doesn't bypass that stage unfortunately.

This...

I'm fortunate in that our GP surgery has a Fast Track service which is basically show up, take a number - get seen. My not be my doc but a doc none the less.

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

David_Yu said...

That's the rubbish bit really isn't it? Is it down to the GP to then refer you, or can they pretty much decide that there's nothing wrong with you and hence PMI is a waste of money?

Case in point, every now and again my knee flares up, have had an MRI scan and it's all come back clear and GP says nothing to worry about, however when it does 'go wrong' it's swollen and bruised for 4/5 days, but by the time I get an appointment it's all cleared up. Could go down the emergency appointment route but that means ringing at 8am every day to get 1 of 3 slots for a same day appointment and if it isn't an emergency (which it isn't in fairness), you don't get an appointment. And repeat for 5/6 years.

NicDale said...

David_Yu said...

That's the rubbish bit really isn't it? Is it down to the GP to then refer you, or can they pretty much decide that there's nothing wrong with you and hence PMI is a waste of money?

Case in point, every now and again my knee flares up, have had an MRI scan and it's all come back clear and GP says nothing to worry about, however when it does 'go wrong' it's swollen and bruised for 4/5 days, but by the time I get an appointment it's all cleared up. Could go down the emergency appointment route but that means ringing at 8am every day to get 1 of 3 slots for a same day appointment and if it isn't an emergency (which it isn't in fairness), you don't get an appointment. And repeat for 5/6 years.

Hmm, not sure you can insist on a referral if they genuinely don't see a need. But NHS tends to prioritise acute conditions I guess and would consider palming you off to the private sector for a less serious but recurrent issue.
PMI is for getting seen quicker and having a choice of consultant.

--

www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

Troubles me enough that I can't run for around 3 months but not troubling enough that it stops me working. Hence the catch 22 situation.

Just cancelled mine as its a total waste of money.

Explain Simon?

SimonB said...

Just cancelled mine as its a total waste of money.

Everyone says that about insurance until you need to make a big claim.
My family has "made" a huge amount on insurance over the last few years. All of it legit!

--

www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

Ok where to start.

My grandfather was in Bupa for years - needed a knee op, went private they fucked it up so after exhausting all expertise at the private place they shipped him off to the nhs where he later died.

Last year my father had gall stones and because he didnt follow the correct procedure with these folk he ended up with a massive bill.

The truth is the NHS used to be terrible, it isn't these days. And you get the same people treating you cept one avenue you pay the other you don't.

Updated February 27, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I didn't have health insurance here for a bit - one minor accident on the quad, requiring a bit of doctor's time and a very small procedure to drain blood buildup on my back, and it cost more than the annual premium would have.

But then you lot have the NHS :lol:

Which isn't that great, around here you only seem to be taken seriously if you're on benefit, I hadn't been to the doctor for 9 years before going back in about my knee, was told to suffer it as they couldn't 'see' anything wrong. No referral, no offer of physiotherapy, nada.

Is there not another GP near you? We had one which was much the same, long delays etc. changed now and the current one is so much better, always on time and they text you your appointment the day before and an hour before so you turn up on time.

Private healthcare can actually be worse for operations in most places since they simply don't get as much money as the NHS to buy the latest equipment to fight cancer or CT scanners etc. I've heard they even buy some of their things secondhand off the NHS. Their service really varies place to place and a lot of people do just end up being sent back to the NHS...

--

How about not having a sig at all?

I've only been in America for over a month but I'll never moan about the NHS ever again.

Updated February 27, 2013 at 12:24 PM

NicDale said...

Which isn't that great, around here you only seem to be taken seriously if you're on benefit, I hadn't been to the doctor for 9 years before going back in about my knee, was told to suffer it as they couldn't 'see' anything wrong. No referral, no offer of physiotherapy, nada.

Ask for a conflicting opinion.

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

Dinny_G said...

David_Yu said...

This...

I'm fortunate in that our GP surgery has a Fast Track service which is basically show up, take a number - get seen. My not be my doc but a doc none the less.

this is the system the doctors near Uni worked on. It was perfect.

I think my current doctors (Maybe you could confirm, Yu) has appointments in the afternoon, but first come first served in the morning.

I've not been in years though.

I'd like to add, that i think the NHS is just amazing. As a nation, in my opinion, its our crowning achievement.

If you was a massively bias, mega left wing view on the american system, I suggest you watch SICKO my Michael Moore. It's an interesting watch.

RichardMajor86 said...

I'd like to add, that i think the NHS is just amazing. As a nation, in my opinion, its our crowning achievement.

If you was a massively bias, mega left wing view on the american system, I suggest you watch SICKO my Michael Moore. It's an interesting watch.

You don't need to watch sicko, all you need to know is that the US spends 18% of GDP on healthcare (twice the western average) and has worse outcomes... it's fine for me, as I have insurance and aren't sick, but if you don't have insurance and get sick, you have to go bankrupt.

Your link text

Updated February 27, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Jimmy Choo said...

NicDale said...

Ask for a conflicting opinion.

This. In my humble opinion you have to learn how to 'use' the NHS - you have to be persistent and very clear about what outcomes you want from each meeting (whether that be GP or consultant). If you go to a GP and tell him your knee swells up badly now & again, he'll give you some ibuprofen and send you on your way. If you're firm and say you're seriously concerned for the future as the pain is serious, inhibits your ability to work/drive etc, and you want to be referred for a new scan & 2nd opinion, then you don't really give the GP an opportunity to say no. YMMV, or something.

Cheers,
Jon

As Mr Yu as mentioned, all private health care does is fast track you. You get to see the same consultants - just much, much faster.

Unless you have cancer, the NHS guideline for being seen is 18 weeks. Then you have to wait another few weeks to get your results.

If you have private cover you get seen that week, with your choice of hospital and get your results straight away.

Like all things you can buy, their are different levels of cover and some are better than others - hence the different experiences mentioned.

It's also worth mentioning that with illnesses like cancer, the NHS won't always cover the cost of some of the treatment because it's too expensive. So you can be left to die. With some private policies they will cover it, with no limits.

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular