Forums > General > The lengths I go to, to run an "evo" car.

THE LENGTHS I GO TO, TO RUN AN "EVO" CAR.
Prev | 123 | Next

duncs500 said...

Rich B said...

caneswell said...

JL said...

2 cars FTW. This wlll always be the way.

Indeed. Why not get a sheddy estate for the commute and bike miles?

i have run two cars before when i had the navara and rx8 - it didn't work for me tbh - I ended up never using the rx8.

Yeah, but is an RX8 special enough to get you out in it every time you get the opportunity? :?

nope. But I still wouldn't go down the two car choice unless I could justify the cost of the sort of pairing you have.

--

Cheers

Rich

The second car needs to be very cheap and a bit shit. Then you would only drive it when the M3 wasn't suitable.

--

Cheers,
Mike

Rich B said...

duncs500 said...

Rich B said...

caneswell said...

JL said...

i have run two cars before when i had the navara and rx8 - it didn't work for me tbh - I ended up never using the rx8.

Yeah, but is an RX8 special enough to get you out in it every time you get the opportunity? :?

nope. But I still wouldn't go down the two car choice unless I could justify the cost of the sort of pairing you have.

Mine cost peanuts to run! ;) Don't forget I've got an i10 instead of an R26 these days.

I think having a bit of a sh!tter of a main car encourages you to drive the weekend car as much as possible, with the added bonus of making it feel ballistic in comparison.:)

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

duncs500 said...

Rich B said...

duncs500 said...

Rich B said...

caneswell said...

JL said...

Mine cost peanuts to run! ;) Don't forget I've got an i10 instead of an R26 these days.

sadly, for the cost of my e46 m3 I could just about afford 2 leggy i10s or about 1/3 of an exige S...

--

Cheers

Rich

Similar situation, I use my van more than my cars, hence I've sold a couple of cars and bought a better van, could have stuck with my decent enough van and gone the 997 route but it would only be sitting on the drive and probably have a flat battery when I did want to use it.

Rich B said...

sadly, for the cost of my e46 m3 I could just about afford 2 leggy i10s or about 1/3 of an exige S...

I need to introduce you to my friend Dave from Ocean Finance.:lol:

--

- Uninspiring soundtrack

Mondeo Diesel Estate. Infact any Ford Estate for £1500 (petrol would be easier to fix yourself) and make sure it has a squeaky interior and a wheel bearing half way out or something.

You'll drive the M3 then ;)

Rich B said...

It really doesnt suit my "lifestyle" in the slightest, yet still I hope to never sell it!

It reads to me like it almost exactly suits your lifestyle.
Public transport gets you to work in a similar time / cost as a car and at all other times you drive one of the best all round cars ever made. It seems the only compromise is having to sling your bike on the roof rack. A small price to pay.

JustMax said...

Rich B said...

It really doesnt suit my "lifestyle" in the slightest, yet still I hope to never sell it!

Public transport gets you to work in a similar time / cost as a car and at all other times you drive one of the best all round cars ever made. It seems the only compromise is having to sling your bike on the roof rack. A small price to pay.

i like your way of thinking!

--

Cheers

Rich

I came to a similar conclusion a few years back and opted to get a second bike and use that for the mundane commute and small trips, but then I realised that I still needed a sensible car for the dull things like shopping and carrying the mountain bike about. As is well documented in here however, this doesn't work either so I'm going to try and get a half way house with a hot hatch instead. It still won't get used for sunny weekend runs (maybe the odd evening thrash), I have the big bike for that, but at least I won't want to self harm when I get somewhere in the car.

Rich B said...

JustMax said...

Rich B said...

He really has a point though. It's a quick car with a decent boot, you can carry the bike when needed and it can even return decent mpg if you feel like it. It won't depreciate a huge amount and it gets the bitches wet.

Careful or I'm filing this under a firstworldproblem, or White Whine if you prefer :lol:

JL said...

Rich B said...

JustMax said...

Rich B said...

He really has a point though. It's a quick car with a decent boot, you can carry the bike when needed and it can even return decent mpg if you feel like it. It won't depreciate a huge amount and it gets the bitches wet.

Careful or I'm filing this under a firstworldproblem, or White Whine if you prefer :lol:

Yeah, completely different point to the one I made just a few posts from the beginning...

:lol:

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

I was surprised no-one else had thought of it, I must admit.

You should work on boosting your online profile Dave, people just aren't noticing you...

--

Cheers

Rich

Key - IMO - to having two cars is making sure that you do use the nice car for mundane stuff some of the time, to remind you what it's like. My first M3 I kept tucked up in the garage while using a motorbike to commute. Got bored of justifying the dead money sitting there and sold it. Ditto the Chimaera.

Now with the 996, I use it at least a couple of times a week and every day when the weather's good. Not bored of it and I don't feel like I have to justify it. Not planning on selling it.

QED.

--

It's not a Golf

lepetitoeuf said...

JL said...

I disagree.

I seriously considered getting an economical runabout for commuting and business miles, plus something juicier I could enjoy at the weekends.

Then I realised I would never use the 'fun' car. One car FTW.

i tried the 2 car route, Volvo V90 auto estate and a 2 year old ST205 GT4 heavily modified for track use with cage etc

it suxed balls, 90% of the time you where in the car, after a few weeks i started to loose the will to live driving the volvo (still better than a passat to drive), running costs where higher and i almost never used the GT4

so i sold them both and bought a new B5 RS4, was the right car 90% of the time :)

in an ideal world thou i would be very happy with a RS6 avant and a 996 GT3 RS as a weekend toy 8)

Updated February 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM

--

WIBBLE

To have multiple cars they all need to be completely different. It's a rule. Convertible versions of the same car do not count, it's always creepy when you walk past a house and they have 2 identical cars except one is a convertible. Must be a his and hers thing...

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

Eric Pisch said...

in an ideal world thou i would be very happy with a RS6 avant and a 996 GT3 RS as a weekend toy 8)

I thought you were gripped by fear when driving anything other than 4wd? ;)

--

- Uninspiring soundtrack

David_Yu said...

JL said...

Rich B said...

JustMax said...

Rich B said...

Yeah, completely different point to the one I made just a few posts from the beginning...

:lol:

I'll mention Yu in the credits next time ;).

duncs500 said...

Eric Pisch said...

I thought you were gripped by fear when driving anything other than 4wd? ;)

after a long day at work at night in the rain i wouldn't trade 4wd for anything else

but a play thing is different, and then i to can imagine i'm a "driving god" like the rest of you do, rather than the ham fisted ape i know i am :P

--

WIBBLE

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular