Forums > General > A sense of duty about running 'evo' cars?

A SENSE OF DUTY ABOUT RUNNING 'EVO' CARS?
Previous | 1 | Next

So I have a 10 year old Focus ST170, by most measures an 'evo' kind of car despite being relatively underpowered compared to modern hot-hatchery. The contrast between this 10 year old car and a current gen Focus reveals much that is depressing about progress; it's lighter, more airy, isn't over-styled with acres of 'funky' plastics, you can start the damn thing without your foot on the brake or clutch etc etc.
My problem is that despite all that, it's actually become a bit of a dog to run with a succession of breakdowns and dubious behaviour in cold weather. Maybe I bought a dog, but I can't help thinking move on to something more reliable/modern.
Except I've got this little petrolhead voice on my shoulder going "you have a duty to keep cool cars alive and running, because if you don't and cave in to new fangled creature comforts, it's as bad as buying your groceries from Tescos because it's convenient rather than shopping locally."
Anyone else feel that about keeping evo cars?

Depends on your circumstances. I usually have my small kids in the car so if started breaking down it would be traded for something newer or more reliable.

Good luck with the watch though! :D

Keep cool cars alive? Yes. Keep ST170s alive? Not so much.;)

Just kidding, I love to see older interesting or performance cars still going and on the road. I salute anyone that does it... but I don't know if I'd have the patience to do it myself if it was my main car.

Updated February 26, 2013 at 12:37 PM

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Tried having a "purely transport" car.
Didn't like it. Sold it, got a decent fun car.

But I still shop at Tesco.

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Mark BT52 said...

But I still shop at Tesco.

Tasty :)

Will an ST170 lump go in a Puma?

--

Get in the back of the van

brotherharry said...

Maybe I bought a dog

No you bought a Ford but the end result is much the same! :D

nuttinnew said...

Will an ST170 lump go in a Puma?

It'd ruin the handling like it does in the ST170 ;)

I know your pain, OP - my Puma is having wheel bearing/ABS/thermostat fun at the moment, and I do sometimes think I could just fvck it off, but if I spent another £1000-1500 on another cheap car (screw getting finance) it'll just be the same set of problems all over again.

That's more an economics issue though. I tend to agree that if you take driving/cars seriously, it's a bit hypocritical to just let a nice car fall apart if you can help it.

I don't feel it's my duty, I just prefer older more interesting cars and would rather spend my money on fueling, insuring and maintaining something quick than chuck it away in depreciation on something new and rubbery.

To people who don't 'get' cars they're just old bangers, people at work wonder why I don't buy something nice and new like they have, and how many miles per gallon they get out of their diesel peugeot.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

I prefer running old cars. The only thing which could perhaps stop this is if they kept breaking down.

Both of mine are fine at the moment (infact, neither of them have ever broken down, in the combined 18 years I've owned them) and I quite like the fact that I can do alot of maintenance jobs myself.

The fact that modern cars don't allow you to tinker puts me off them for the most part.

Updated February 26, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I can't wait to have a 924 to tinker with and 'improve'.
I have the Cinquecento but it means going to go see it at the lockup whereas having something mobile and useable but needing small stuff gives you something to plan for the weekend or when you get home at night etc.
And I do like a good tinkering after work.

Beany said...

I know your pain, OP - my Puma is having wheel bearing/ABS/thermostat fun at the moment, and I do sometimes think I could just fvck it off, but if I spent another £1000-1500 on another cheap car (screw getting finance) it'll just be the same set of problems all over again.

That's more an economics issue though. I tend to agree that if you take driving/cars seriously, it's a bit hypocritical to just let a nice car fall apart if you can help it.

My man maths goes something like this
Get a MK1 Focus ST for £7/£8k (run one before and loved it)
spend nothing on it and lose £3k in depreciation over next 2 years.
or
Spend £2k on the ST170 sprucing/freshening up/mild tweaking getting back to box-fresh and sell for £1k less than I paid in a couple of years.
Either way I'm £3k out...

Updated February 26, 2013 at 7:32 PM

There is a sense of joy at fitting new brakes, new tyres, fixing something, servicing it regularly and seeing the mileage climb and still have everything in fine fettle.

With a brand new car, it doesn't matter what you do it will just become worse over the years, with an older car you can slowly improve stuff.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

All of my cars are old and while none are as new they all run well. I prefer having something old that I can keep running myself with my moderate mechanical skills and fairly cheap parts. I'd rather spend a bit of money keeping my old 525 going than buy a new 520d.

--

just the tip

I run a 12 year old Golf, 1.8t, 200k, usual tweaks incl -70mm ride height, custom custom remap which is now into an eco rephase, as my daily driver, and then a 1994 E36 M3 for my LOLs car

Not hugely EVO, but currently I cant bring myself to throw money at the 328 to make it handle and steer properly. I'd rather put that in the E46 M3 fund.

Keeping interesting older cars running well is cool, but I also really get the appeal of taking a hit in order to enjoy something new(er) and interesting.

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

Zonda_ said...

[quote="brotherharry"] Maybe I bought a dog

dont worry dogs arent in the tesco lasagna... yet :lol:

--

Pain don't hurt

mattcambs said...

Not hugely EVO, but currently I cant bring myself to throw money at the 328 to make it handle and steer properly. I'd rather put that in the E46 M3 fund.

Keeping interesting older cars running well is cool, but I also really get the appeal of taking a hit in order to enjoy something new(er) and interesting.

i was knocking around in a newer (05-06) Megane 225 this week. traction control and esp could not be turned off above 20mph... my experience of new cars is that theyre not a good thing

Duty does seem a sentence for some, but looking after older cars really makes sence if you like them.

I recently purchased a Mk1 MX5, as a cheep broad blatter that was not supposed to be looked after......but I fell for it.

So far;
New water pump and cam belt
New wheels and tyres
Front lip
Front grill
New lower number plate
Removed the orange bits from side lights
Clear side repeaters
Coin try and radio cubby hole
Flocked interior
Stainless interior trim bits
Alignment
New alignment an east road settings to go.

Not cheap or a justifiable cost, buti love it and want to save it.

--

My Glass is always half full

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular