Forums > Moaning forum > Being a poncey expat brat

BEING A PONCEY EXPAT BRAT
Previous | 123 | Next

I'm back in the UK this weekend for a funeral, and despite being somewhat terrified of the weather (I haven't worn a coat in about 5 years* - seriously) I can't even remember what you need to wear in the say-5C you guys are having.

I guess Geordies would favour a white t-shirt with tabs rolled into the sleeves, however I'm after advice from and for actual people.

* = actually it was December '09 :lol:

Updated February 26, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Layer up - Jumper and a few smaller outer layers.

Oh and a wolly hat.

for the service itself, not much you can do with a suit except a propper overcoat

sorry to hear about the funeral - never a good reason to come home :?

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

I recently invested in a scarf, which I've previously considered to be an item worn only by football cretins or homosexuals, however it has proven to help in the keeping warm stakes. That + what Dinny said.

--

She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro.

You live somewhere seriously warm, no?!
So I suggest this bad boy 8)

Just so you know JL, it is stupidly cold here at the moment.

--

Cheers

Rich

You're dealing with someone here who wears a hoodie when it's less than 25C, and shivers if it's less than 20C.

Big F-O coat FTW then. If it hasn't fallen apart from being about 14 years old, that is :lol:

Dinny_G said...

Thanks Dinny - it was my grandma who very sadly passed away recently, but we're all trying to remain positive. Every box is ticked - lived to 91, was still driving, sharp as a tack, went peacefully in her sleep with family present, always had her own place, and had had a long and amazing life. According to the old dear (mine, that is) it's a celebration rather than a mourning.

I still haven't quite made my peace with "Food, Glorious Food" being the walking-out-of-the-church music, however - apt though as she was a proper foodie :lol:

I've started seeing people wearing shorts around here now that it's sunny and above 6 degrees.

--

Entirely pointless

To clarify - the sartorial preferences of what are obviously Northerners are of no interest or relevance to me.

I have been outside a few times in the last few days in a t shirt but others have suggested that is daft.

THe sun is blazing here today but it is only 4 degrees so Cords and polo shirt! HTH

PS, sorry about your Granny.

Condolences JL.:( Although, similarly to what you imply, if I could choose a way to bow out, that would be it.

As for the weather, tasteful scarf, gloves and coat should do the job.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

duncs500 said...

Condolences JL.:( Although, similarly to what you imply, if I could choose a way to bow out, that would be it.

As for the weather, tasteful scarf, gloves and coat should do the job.

Condolences, reconciling death and 'celebration of life' sounds difficult. Like the exit music though :).

JL, it's easy, in addition to your suit and shoes, you just need long johns, thermal vest, thick socks, scarf, gloves, heavy coat and Fedora.

I'm sure you have all of that in Dubai, just in case :lol:

--

Food | Large format print & graphics

A hipflask of decent whisky is good for taking the edge off the chill.

--

I often drive for a road travel

JL said...

[quote="Dinny_G"]sorry to hear about the funeral - never a good reason to come home :?

According to the old dear (mine, that is) it's a celebration rather than a mourning.

These are very true words.

I lost a close friend of 20+ years in a car accident in 2009. Whilst in many ways the day of his funeral was one of the worst days of my life, the wake was also one of the best nights.

--

www.leatherbetter.co.uk
Make imperfect leather brand new again.

Catholic Funerals tend to have that celebtation feel -

"while we'll miss them, they're the lucky ones who get to go to heaven first while we have to wait down here"

I never buy into that :?

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

JL said...

Dinny_G said...

Thanks Dinny - it was my grandma who very sadly passed away recently, but we're all trying to remain positive. Every box is ticked - lived to 91, was still driving, sharp as a tack, went peacefully in her sleep with family present, always had her own place, and had had a long and amazing life. According to the old dear (mine, that is) it's a celebration rather than a mourning.

I still haven't quite made my peace with "Food, Glorious Food" being the walking-out-of-the-church music, however - apt though as she was a proper foodie :lol:

Condolences.

My grandmother sadly passed away last week. 95 but recently had breathing problems and lived in a care home for the last 10 or so years. I feel like crap for not making more effort to visit her even though we are in different continents.

We haven't nada properly cold spell in the UK yet so I wouldn't worry. I'd pick up a set of gloves and a scarf, thermals and a decent coat and jumper.

Sorry to hear about the funeral but as you said its a celebration (and I'd be pleased if I could still drive and be Independant at 91!)

it's not that cold here at the moment, 5-6 degrees, which compared to last weekend when it was zero with a pretty hefty wind chill effect on top.

for general day to day stuff i just wear jeans, t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt and a hoody. for spending more time outside the hoody gets swapped for a jumper and a coat.

if I'm outside working on cars or pottering in the shed it will be my standard outfit plus a wooly hat and an extra pair of socks.

only when stupidly cold do i go ott with layers, and i've not got loads of natural insulation either :lol:

I also never wear a scarf as theyre for hooligans, old people and bumders.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

That reminds me, I must call my gran :?.

Sad times but sounds like the way all of us would want to go.

ETA: Especially the 'still driving' bit!

Updated February 26, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Warm thick socks, cold feet and it doesn't matter how warm everything else is you'll feel uncomfortable.

A crappy reason to come home but I like the family logic about the funeral :D

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

Previous | 123 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular