Forums > General > Biggest opinion changer

BIGGEST OPINION CHANGER
Previous | 12 | Next

Despite all of us slewing sideways to work in R500 Caterhams while looking cool, what car has changed your opinion the most?

I wasn't a fan of big school run behemoths till I had a Q7 for a few days and loved it. It's spec sheet reads like a list on how to ruin a motor vehicle but it was bloomin good fun in the end. So now a big diesel engined land yacht is on the cards.

Not even the much fabled MX5 had me wanting one so what had you surprised after a drive?

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

Not driving, just being a passenger. But travelling in barge taxis when in Vegas in 2004 made me come home, sell my Civic Type R and buy a V8 car with an auto box. I've had big engined autos ever since.

I had the opposite in a GTR. Spec sheet to die for, driving experience just completely lacking.

It also completely turned me off considering ANY DCT equipped car. EVER.

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

Audi RS2

before that all estates where beige cortinas driven by old duffers in cardi's and deeply uncool

then all of a sudden your dog can travel at warp 10 in the snow 8) and avants/tourings etc where the only thing to own

Audi A6 BiTurbo Diesel

gets huge hype, put 1000 miles on one i had on loan, one of the dullest and most involving cars i have ever been in (i have driven a polo 1.2 DSG!!!) it wafts along on the torque and makes a great cruiser but trying to push on in it is like trying to steer an oil tanker through cones, you have to aim at the corner about 3 minutes before you get there and hope you plotted the right course ...

Updated February 25, 2013 at 3:03 PM

--

Making pancake mix on your mums pancake tits

WIBBLE

Eric Pisch said...

Audi RS2

before that all estates where beige cortinas driven by old duffers in cardi's and deeply uncool

then all of a sudden your dog can travel at warp 10 in the snow 8) and avants/tourings etc where the only thing to own

Do you not have an interest in any other marque? Or is it Audi and that's it?

Mike Rainbird said...

In comparison to a manual box, or to any torque converter or SMG auto?

I still remember riding in our neighbours Merc 230E as a child and being complelely awestruck by the smoothness and quietness. Then again, we had an Austin Princess !

GTR
Completely turned me off considering ANY non-DCT equipped exotic performance car. EVER.

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Alex88 said...

Eric Pisch said...

Audi RS2

Do you not have an interest in any other marque? Or is it Audi and that's it?

95% of my cars have not been Audi's but the question was what car had the biggest impact, and prior to the RS2 I would never have bought an estate now its my preferred choice

I would love to have ago in an M3 Touring but BMW rarely bring the touring versions over the the UK (my friends V10 M5 Touring was lovely)

--

Making pancake mix on your mums pancake tits

WIBBLE

Jobbo said...

Mike Rainbird said...

In comparison to a manual box, or to any torque converter or SMG auto?

It's the "auto" feel of the 'box I don't like, particularly the way the engine note sounds like a slush-box changing gear.

I love the clutch slur that the SMG 'boxes give, as it feels more involving and characterful, as well as still requiring some throttle modulation to make it completely smooth (AKA DRIVER input).

I just found that DCTs remove a level of involvement that (for me) is really important to "gel" with a car.

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

Most of the times I manage to have appropriate expectations regarding cars.
The Lexus RX400h (that I got after a BMW E53 X5) came as a huge disappointment though, for many reasons (even though I did not expect a brilliant sports car).

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

Mark BT52 said...

GTR
Completely turned me off considering ANY non-DCT equipped exotic performance car. EVER.

But your Scooby is better "drive" according to Christine :p ;).

--

Mike Rainbird said...

Mark BT52 said...

GTR

But your Scooby is better "drive" according to Christine :p ;).

She also dislikes the Princess (incorrect to label it an Austin by the way), so no-one's perfect.

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Mike Rainbird said...

It's the "auto" feel of the 'box I don't like, particularly the way the engine note sounds like a slush-box changing gear.

Hmm, that doesn't sound right at all.
Using the paddles it sounds nothing like that. You get a nice wobble in the engine note like early paddle shift F1 cars, not like a torque-coverter at all (which I particularly dislike)

--

Mark BT52 said...

Mike Rainbird said...

Hmm, that doesn't sound right at all.
Using the paddles it sounds nothing like that. You get a nice wobble in the engine note like early paddle shift F1 cars, not like a torque-coverter at all (which I particularly dislike)

It was in full attack mode with everything switched to R. I just don't like the way the note changes on a DCT car and I think I'll agree with Christine - purely as she seems to have the best (most driver focused) car and most sense (seeing as she agrees with me ;)).

--

I agree with Rainbird on the noise. They still don't sound rigt on the upchange. See CH's Cayman vid for evidence.

Our CRV. Really didnt fancy a 4x4 but it came up at the right price with a towbar fitted so I just swapped for my Legacy.

It is a fantactic family car; easier to put the kids in and out of, high up to so they get a good view and large windows so my littlest gets any view out of.

The Boot can be made bigger with the sliding rear seats and the boot floor comes out and is a picnic table. It has not transmission tunnel so leg room for a 3rd passenger and it is actually to drive too (although I usually take a corner or tw to get used to the roll and understeer after the Saab).

Large glass roof will be on my next CRV as that really tickles the kids.

Ford Ka and AWD Subaru Justy.

--

This ^

While killing a bit of time at a driving day had a go in a Bentley Conti GTC. Always thought of them as lardy footballers cars and in some ways they are. Felt pretty damn good though, roof down, exquisite interior, passing a Gallardo down the straight and not getting caught by it through the turns either. Never been pass the ton so easily or with so little fuss, would worry for my licence every time I joined a dual carriageway. It's certainly no sports car but for crunching serious miles it has lots of appeal. Still got a long way to go until I can afford one though and hate to think what unleaded will cost then :(

The MX-5. Hertz gave us a free upgrade to a 2.0 roadster-coupe version in Sicily two years ago. Up until then I had never really seen what all the fuss was about. Ok, you could argue that 10 days in Sicily during the summer is going to cast a rosy glow over any motoring experience, especially a convertible one, but actually that's not true. Last year our Sicilian steed was a diesel Peugeot 308 and I was left unable to imagine why anyone would ever buy one out of choice.

Anyway, the Mazda was a delight to drive, just as everyone said. Not quick - it wouldn't see which way my Z1 went and that's no ball of fire - and the interior plastics are a bit on the cheap side. But it was just fun and unexpectedly characterful. My GF wanted to take it home with us.

If only all rental cars were like this:

--

Exploring the dark side in a brace of Bavaria's finest.

http://www.auto-journals.com/journals/BMW?model=Z1&journal=188

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular