Forums > Moaning forum > What's the point of that?

WHAT'S THE POINT OF THAT?
Previous | 12 | Next

So I was on holiday last week. I took my work Blackberry with me and once a day went through my mail and deleted all the crap so that on my return I'd only have mail in my inbox that I needed to action.

Except, as default, when you delete an item on your Blackberry, it doesn't delete it from your mailbox so they're all still there in Outlook. FFS.

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

I wasn't aware of this - last time I used a Blackberry was a few years ago but I'm fairly sure it did delete/mark as read anything you deleted or read, though?

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

Apparently it's been the default setting since at least 2009. It marks as read, but doesn't delete. Stupid, that's my morning wasted. Although I've now got my mailbox down from ~6000 to 13 emails.

--

Jobbo said...

there is a setting that allows you to delete them from both. I certainly had it on mine,but can't remember it now I've switched

Seriously, you advertise all those communications services that you can do and you can't even open the "options" on your phone and change the email reconciliation to delete on mailbox & handheld...

It took me about 30 seconds to find that btw.

--

Cheers

Rich

Yes, it took me 30 seconds to find it and change the setting. However, I didn't realise that the setting needed changing until today. No other device I've ever used decided that delete didn't really mean delete. Stupid Blackberry. The problem is, if you change the setting after the fact, it doesn't delete all the stuff you deleted previously unless you allow the phone to "win" in a conflict situation. And that's generally not a good idea.

Any time you want to have a tech-off, Rich, I'm more than happy.

Updated February 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM

--

Jobbo said...

Surely you choose this yourself at the point of setting up your account, which means you did it wrong in the first place?

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 320d MSport

Phone given to me already set up. I try my best not to use it at all. It's shít. As soon as my account gets transferred to the new Exchange server I can switch to an iPhone. Sucks having a surname that starts with W...

--

Jobbo said...

NotoriousREV said...

Any time you want to have a tech-off, Rich, I'm more than happy.

I'm not in the least bit techy. It all works fine on my bb though, and surely it's worth putting the handheld device in charge temporarily rather than wasting a whole morning sifting through emails like a chump.

--

Cheers

Rich

I simply wouldn't trust the Blackberry or BES not to fuck it up completely. I consider RIM products to be somewhere beneath iTunes in terms of its competence.

--

Jobbo said...

Rich B said...

Seriously, you advertise all those communications services that you can do and you can't even open the "options" on your phone and change the email reconciliation to delete on mailbox & handheld...

It took me about 30 seconds to find that btw.

:lol:

NotoriousREV said...

I simply wouldn't trust the Blackberry or BES not to fuck it up completely.

so you are annoyed that it won't delete your emails but you won't turn on the function to make it delete your emails. Brilliant!

--

Cheers

Rich

Rich dishing out some serious punishment in this thread.

:lol:

--

"Drink, drugs and driving a black Porsche Carrera what a big brave man he is, also a father and husband, HOW SO VERY SCARY!!!!!!!"

Rich B said...

NotoriousREV said...

so you are annoyed that it won't delete your emails but you won't turn on the function to make it delete your emails. Brilliant!

No, I won't turn on the feature that allows the device with the poorly written software that interfaces with a badly implemented server to take command of my mailbox.

Please, continue to share your extensive experience of managing mailboxes with Blackberrys, BES and Exchange.

Updated February 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM

--

Jobbo said...

Revs is only being petulant because he wasn't given an iPhone at his new job :D

Blackberrys are shit and I'll be glad when they go bust.

--

Jobbo said...

NotoriousREV said...

Rich B said...

NotoriousREV said...

No, I won't turn on the feature that allows the device with the poorly written software that interfaces with a badly implemented server to take command of my mailbox.

Please, continue to share your extensive experience of managing mailboxes with Blackberrys, BES and Exchange.

you're the dork who sat on holiday deleting your emails on your BB every day happily assuming the feature was on! :lol:

--

Cheers

Rich

Well, for every other device I've ever used (and I've used every type of smart phone with an Exchange account) and it's worked out of the box without having to change a setting. It shouldn't be unreasonable to expect that deleting a mail deletes it. I can't think of any situation where I'd want to be able to delete stuff on one device but not have it delete on another device accessing the same mailbox. Its a pointless setting and shouldn't be default behaviour, and indeed is not default behaviour on decent devices.

--

Jobbo said...

Did iOS not used to do similar - the IMAP purge on delete wasn't enabled by default initially, or something equally silly?

We had some six companies using BES. Now only have one IIRC. And they're shuffling off of it ASAP because they hate it.

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular