Forums > General > Twingo133 cup, Panda 100hp, Swift Sport or Clio 200

TWINGO133 CUP, PANDA 100HP, SWIFT SPORT OR CLIO 200
Previous | 12 | Next

Hi everyone, I've never started my own thread before so not sure if there is a certain etiquette or anything. Anyway, I would appreciate some advice.

My brief car history is like this: having previously owned a 1.3 Ford Ka for 5 years as my first car, I then bought a 1.6 SportKa 3 years ago.

I'm now 25 with 8 yrs NCB so am now thinking about upgrading to something quicker now that insurance is not so horrific.

Shortlist is: Twingo 133, Swift Sport (old model), Panda 100HP or do I save up for a year or so to stretch to a Clio 200?

They seem to be the best small hatches according to evo but am open to any other suggestions. Budget is approx £7000. Would consider cup or non-cup versions of the Twingo or Clio.

So what to get? Would love to hear from anyone who has/does own any of the above.

Cheers

If you are dead set on a hot hatch then just drive them all and pick a winner. £7k could get you something nice and RWD though...;)

--

Cheers,
Mike

E36 M3 Evo
Porsche 944
Mazda RX8

Out of that lot though the Clio.

Cheers

Steve

£7k is going to get you a LOT of car.

Twingo and Swift will be great. 197 Clio in range too unless you save for the epic 200. Honda S2000 in reach easily and as stated others too will be affordable.

Depends I guess what size you want.

The Panda 100HP will see you with A LOT of change from £7k (unless you get robbed.)

--

The Clio 200 - has gone :(
The ST220 will follow
The Golf R will arrive!

350z

--

Cheers,
Mike

S2000 would be my choice, rwd and a truly epic drivetrain. Out of the choices though, Clio 200 all day long.

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

£7k....Clio Trophy. The Twingo isn't much of a step up in performance. A 200 is fine but pricey. Clio Trophy is a legend....200 performance for less than Twingo money?

They tend to be well looked after. Their residuals are very strong and you could have about £1-2k change from the your budget.

Twingos are like hen's teeth and last time I looked not many that would fall into your budget.

Updated February 24, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Twingo is great but thrashy
Clio is its grown up brother.

Get the clio.

Better still - a megane r26 is creeping into your budget.

--

GiraffeIT.com / Installations / Support / Training
evo featured Renault Megane R26 (c) Barry Club.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies.
I hadn't even considered RWD. RX8 and 350z do sound good but I'm going to stick with hot hatches for now. Due to all the praise that they lavish on it evo, I think my heart is set on a clio 200 but... after mctavish's suggestion and after reading that it is Harry M's favourite hot hatch in this months's issue, I'll look at Clio trophys as well.

Is a clio trophy the same as a clio 182? Also, I'm sure I've read about the steering wheel being in an awkward position - like you are driving a bus. Any truth in this? Is it an issue?

copse said...

Is a clio trophy the same as a clio 182?

Also, I'm sure I've read about the steering wheel being in an awkward position - like you are driving a bus. Any truth in this? Is it an issue?

No. Different suspension about sums it up.

No. You sit higher than most in a clio , some say on the seat than in the seat. You can remove spacers ( washers ) and lower it.

Updated February 24, 2013 at 7:01 PM

--

GiraffeIT.com / Installations / Support / Training
evo featured Renault Megane R26 (c) Barry Club.

How about an Integra DC2? Get one for sub 4k and spend the rest on road trips and track days.

If not then Clio Trophy, find a good standard one and enjoy some depreciation-proof motoring.

--

Kintegra y0!

andybond said...

Better still - a megane r26 is creeping into your budget.

This.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Worth considering a MINI Cooper S?

Coaster is right - a newish car will tend to depreciate rather a lot. So DC2, Trophy or R26 are good options as they're likely to hold a bit more value in a few years when you want to move on.

Updated February 25, 2013 at 8:30 AM

copse said...

Thanks to everyone for all the replies.
I hadn't even considered RWD. RX8 and 350z do sound good but I'm going to stick with hot hatches for now.

You said you wanted advice but really you wanted affirmation :) - don't worry, most people who post up like this know what they want before they ask the question. Stock response - drive them all and buy the one you like the best. Magazine and internet opinions only go so far. One of the cars, while not as well received, might have some killer detail for you personally that makes it the one to have.

You only need to spend £4000 on the Panda.
That makes it cheaper than the other two and IMO better.

But really for your budget it sounds like you'd be better off with something else entirely.

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Ignore Mark hes a massive Fiat fan boy and wont have a good word to say about any other marque

Cheers

Steve

My other suggestion to corpse would be a low mileage Fiat Croma.

Updated February 25, 2013 at 1:07 PM

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Surely by 25 and with 8 years ncb you could be looking at much more interesting vehicles than circa 100bhp warm shopping cars?

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

Rather than taking this thread further off-topic, I'd just point out this parallel thread on which fun car you could get for £5k - have a read of that and see if anything grabs your fancy over a warm hatch ;)

copse said...

Hi everyone, I've never started my own thread before so not sure if there is a certain etiquette or anything. Anyway, I would appreciate some advice.

My brief car history is like this: having previously owned a 1.3 Ford Ka for 5 years as my first car, I then bought a 1.6 SportKa 3 years ago.

I'm now 25 with 8 yrs NCB so am now thinking about upgrading to something quicker now that insurance is not so horrific.

Shortlist is: Twingo 133, Swift Sport (old model), Panda 100HP or do I save up for a year or so to stretch to a Clio 200?

Good shortlist, I owned a 100HP for 2 years and its was a fine drive on A & B roads, ultimatly it did lack straight line speed, the seat build quality was bit low rent... but at £4k as posted above it should not be ignored.

I had a spin in a friends Twingo 133 and it was also entertaining but the dashboard was 'blunderbust' shooting with controls and i didnt like the speedo position.

Worth a consideration, Smart Brabus Forfour.... You £7k would buy best of the best 2006MY with low miles and 177PS... but also not the earth to insure and run.

Just for the thread here is my ex-100HP

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular