Forums > General > Watch thread

WATCH THREAD
Previous | 12 | Next

Where would you guys try to sell a reasonably pricey watch, i.e. £6k+?

I initially thought eBay, but Paypal fees would be eye-watering and as it's used and not as-new, I would want a buyer to see it first.

But what do people use for payment for pricey items? Paypal is expensive, and there's no security for the buyer if they direct transfer the money to my account.
Plus I've heard stories of people paying by Paypal then disputing that the item was received etc.

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

Fellows Auction

Local reputable jewellers. Or dare I say it, might be worth a look on the Boat shoes dedicated watch forum for some recommendations :shock:

Updated February 24, 2013 at 2:03 PM

eBay is the last place I'd go to. I'd be taking the watch to a few of the local but well established independents. They'll be a straight forward transaction with no come back, it'll be secure and you can sell it to the company which offers the best price.

There's no way I'd put £6k into the hands of eBay/PayPal and have them charge me. For example I sold an iPad mini on eBay not so long ago, I got a decent amount for it then I was hit with fees. I'd have actually made more money taking it to the local electronics exchange and getting cash in hand for it.

I would try any shop selling used watches - though I do not know what kind of commission they'd charge (probably high, but may be limited if they accept to put the watch for sale without buying it upfront themselves).

Updated February 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

If you're a member of TZ-UK that would be a good place to start. Otherwise as others have said a jewellers would be a good place for an easy sale although you'll probably get less than you want. Blowers might be worth a try.

John said...

If you're a member of TZ-UK that would be a good place to start. Otherwise as others have said a jewellers would be a good place for an easy sale although you'll probably get less than you want. Blowers might be worth a try.

Remember a dealer needs to sell it on at a profit, so you are not going to get market price. But it is by far the safest way to go

P.S Don't want to disappoint you but don't think you are going to get £6k for a Jorg Gray;)

Thanks. How disappointing, so even in this age of online everything, the safest way to sell anything worth over £x000 is to let a dealer rip you off...

--

www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

David_Yu said...

Thanks. How disappointing, so even in this age of online everything, the safest way to sell anything worth over £x000 is to let a dealer rip you off...

PayPal isn't a dealer but they'll rip Yu off too ;)

David_Yu said...

The world we live in :cry:

How about http://www.chrono24.com?

What watch is it out of interest?

David_Yu said...

Check the sale results versus charges, not too shabby.

David_Yu said...

Where would you guys try to sell a reasonably pricey watch, i.e. £6k+?

I initially thought eBay, but Paypal fees would be eye-watering and as it's used and not as-new, I would want a buyer to see it first.

But what do people use for payment for pricey items? Paypal is expensive, and there's no security for the buyer if they direct transfer the money to my account.
Plus I've heard stories of people paying by Paypal then disputing that the item was received etc.

I always thought the word reasonably was an adjective that was used to convey the idea of sensible and rational to a degree...

John said...

They charge 2% with no guarantee of sale and no escrow payment facility so you're still stuck with the whole secure payment issue.

It's an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore in titanium. Probably worth a fair bit more than £6k, but it has a few dents and scratches.

--

www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

David_Yu said...

John said...

They charge 2% with no guarantee of sale and no escrow payment facility so you're still stuck with the whole secure payment issue.

It's an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore in titanium. Probably worth a fair bit more than £6k, but it has a few dents and scratches.

Only 1 sold on eBay in the last 90 days (and then re-listed)

Updated February 24, 2013 at 6:40 PM

--

Tim

M135i 8 Speed Auto. Alpine White. Faster than Yu.

Tim said...

David_Yu said...

John said...

Only 1 sold on eBay in the last 90 days (and then re-listed)

Point proven. Ebay is a no go.

--

www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

www.watches.co.uk seemed ok a short while ago when I considered selling one of mine. Didn't take it any futher as changed my mind so can't comment on whether they are reliable.

--

BMW Car Magazine @QuentlyBentin

ShockDiamonds said...

www.watches.co.uk seemed ok a short while ago when I considered selling one of mine. Didn't take it any futher as changed my mind so can't comment on whether they are reliable.

Yeah they're who I'm going to call and see tomorrow. Chiswick's a lot nearer than the usual Hatton Garden lot and outside the congestion charge zone.

I went to see them years ago when I was interested in a Daytona. Only thing is, they already have one identical to mine listed, so don't know how many they want...
Click.

--

www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

Wonder what the mark up is? Have often toyed with the idea of selling the Navitimer as I seldom wear it. No idea of the value though.

--

BMW Car Magazine @QuentlyBentin

on a dedicated watch forum

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular