Forums > General > We sure are a nation of animal lovers

WE SURE ARE A NATION OF ANIMAL LOVERS
Previous | 12 | Next

On the A243, a car coming opposite us hit a deer at quite quick speed judging by the way the car disintegrated. There's about 10 cars pulled over with all the occupants watching the poor thing slowly dying. I'm a bit too squeamish for it so I'm just in the car.

Bloody good turnout though compared to the cyclist I saw hit a year ago on King's road, I think 2 people helped then.

Shame no one has the cojones to put it out of its misery, I've offered my Leatherman. Some people are frantically making phone calls to somewhere.

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

Finally it is dead.

--

Had you or anyone else done the right thing, you'd be all over the front page of the Mail

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

Years ago between stansted and saffron walden the car two in front hit a deer, stopped and drove over its back legs to carry on their way. The car in front also drove off. The wife and I watched the poor creature drag itself onto the verge with its front legs only to then lie there suffering. We called the local police (who seemed to be annoyed at being troubled) to ask them to get a farmer to put it out of its misery. We did this because according to Hannah's dad, who is an ex copper, you should report hitting anything bigger than a pig or something! Anyway I thought the people who drove off lacked compassion. And I hated seeing the poor beast in such a state.

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

My dad told me that apparently it's queens property like Swans are so if something happens to them you have to report it, this is all according to another person who was there who told my dad.

And yeah someone called the Police to see if they could help, but they were annoyed, so they called the RSPCA who also couldn't help and then they tried calling vets, to put it down I assume, as it had lost a few of its legs :(

--

You can legally shoot deer, you just need the appropriate rifle and licence, the issue is feeding them to keep them close to you to shoot/kill them and killing them out of season or at night.

I keep an axe in the car for this eventuality.

Nothing worse than a sheep hanging out of your wheel arch.

I witnessed a bike hitting a sheep on Brecon and an axe would have saved everybody a lot of pain :(

I just have my neighbour on speed dial, he loves a good BBQ.

carlos said...

I keep an axe in the car for this eventuality.

Nothing worse than a sheep hanging out of your wheel arch.

I witnessed a bike hitting a sheep on Brecon and an axe would have saved everybody a lot of pain :(

They don't have small skulls, would be more akin going from the frying pan to the fire before the curtains closed. The only humane way is a gun, either way its going to be a nasty end.

Updated February 23, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Mrs hit a deer a while back. She called and asked me to help. By the time I arrived there were half a dozen people all staring at this animal that was clearly in agony. I used a lump hammer to the skull and it passed instantly.

Bear Grylls can kill a buffalo instantly with his pinky. That man has skills.

--

Sadly most of us dont carry guns, nor do we have the strength or technique to snap it's neck.

The best thing to do in this situation is call the Police to attend, then cover the Deer's head with a cloth or something so it is dark and it cant see. this will help calm it down.

I am thinking what an awesome film, The Long Kiss Goodnight is.

I am always staggered that in a country that struggles to maintain basic servcies like schools and hospitals there alwasys seems to be money to rescue dumb whales that seem to die after being "rescued" anyway. Sentimentalist pish!

If you hit a deer you have to leave it, person behind you can take it home and eat it though.

I always have my very handy Gerber multi tool in the car and would if necessary finish it of with that. What an epic waste of Police time to call them out. If you are that concerned and can't/won't finish the animal off humanly then call out a vet and pay for the animal to be euthanised. You can then try to claim it back on your insurance with the repairs to your car or take it on the chin because you've done the right thing.

Had to kill 2 dogs in Cabinda, it's the right thing to do but also a horrible feeling. A crappy way for an animal to go.

Doing a deer would be just as hard so it's understandable why people just looked on.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

Mito Man said...

Bear Grylls can kill a buffalo instantly with his pinky. That man has skills.

Chuck Norris only has to look at it and it passes

--

Cheers,
James

The body has disappeared.
Does the council collect them, or foxes, or do people eat them?

--

Mito Man said...

The body has disappeared.
Does the council collect them, or foxes, or do people eat them?

We all do. Deer is the new horse.

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

Deer meat is the beef of Sweden.

--

There is some rule where if you ran it over you can't keep it, but the person behind can.

--

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on.

IaFG Supercharged Muppet Division

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular