Forums > evo magazine > Whats happened to EVO

WHATS HAPPENED TO EVO
Previous | 12 | Next

Been buying EVO from day one and really look forward to reading it when it drops through the door. So when I opened it up today and saw the lovley glossy cover as usual I could not believe me eyes when I opened it up....

The layout is terrible, paper quality is shocking and the pictures just no where near the quality that we are used to....

Front cover EVO quality...inside Autoexpress quality paper and layout.....Always look forward to the buyers guide yet the picture are poor and the layout terrible....One page has a long smudge mark from top to bottom....

EVO, please, please, please get the quality back in the mag and a bring back the quality layout......I really hope this is a one of.....

Updated February 22, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Fair point actually, compared with last month the paper quality has taken a real down turn. Its a shame because last months re-vamp was very promising.

...Any evo staff member care to comment on what has happened?

I actually don't often notice such things, but unfortunately have to agree. It is noticeably worse, and also smudged on a number of pages.

Glad it's not just on my head then.......Love EVO but I felt really strongly about the quality this month.....Really not what I expect from such a quality mag...

I only read the Zinio edition now - looks superb on my laptop, and no worries about paper quality. And it's cheaper.

Come on EVO...Any responce to the quality issue this month....Would be great to hear it will be put right next month...

Never like to hear from unhappy readers - especially when it comes to print and paper quality which we've tried to improve since the editorial redesign. We will look closely at the issues in the office and see if there are any similar problems.

With regards to the paper, we've improved the type we use – so we certainly haven't taken a backwards step on this one.

Andyk - if you want to post me your copy direct I will send you another. Stick a post-it in the pages that you're not happy with and we will have a good look.

Best,

Nick

While you're on Nick, when are the subs going to get the non-gloss covers that the non-subs are now getting?:)

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Just got the latest issue (April 2013).

After reading part-way through I had to double-check the cover.

It was like going back into time and reading CAR magazine from a few years back !

Can you undo the make-over ?

:P

Nick, thanks for the reply...No need to send me another copy as I have read it and I really only posted to let the team know about the paper quality so it could be put right.....It is clear from the comments above that there is a quality issue this month. Even my wife look at it and said the same...May be worth you having a closer look.....Just me but I really do not like the new layout but I am only one customer so will have to get used to it but the one thing I will not get used to is the quality if it stays the same as this month.....

Again thanks for your reply...

Updated February 28, 2013 at 6:29 AM

I like the new layout and certainly didn't notice any dip in paper or print quality.

I would like to say how much i enjoyed Richard Meaden's "some like it hotter" article. You can tell he has an extra special passion for hot hatches, the writing conveys this superbly.

Overall another excellent edition. I feel like the evo team have tailored the magazine exactly to the feedback from MY annual questionnaire!! More fast fleet, more iconic cars and more second hand buying guides!

Thanks guys, keep up the good work

i'll let you know what i think in a month or so...*watches for post planes*

Duncs500 - do you prefer the matt covers then? We'll have a look at it. Our subscribers covers have always been gloss but that doesn't mean we can't change...

Andyk - I take your comments on board about the redesign. The look is certainly a subjective matter and I hope that as the design evolves you'll begin to like it.

One of the key challenges for the redesign was to ensure that we got more words on page, and thus more in-depth stories. Add this to photography that's now given the space it deserves, and I think the overall result is a better value product.

This combined with some of the other changes on the mag means that the features section runs to approx. 76 pages, whereas the 'old' look yielded around 57. Features are the heart of the mag - and 19 more pages in the features section equates to around two or even three more features. Also, it gives us the opportunity to have more in-depth Driven tests - such as the R8 v 911 twin test in the current issue.

Lots to do, but we're getting there. Thanks for the feedback.

n

I think it looks and reads great. It was pretty cool before but the improvements have been noticeable. Keep it up Evo :P

Sounds like a few of us had a quality issue and some didn't then...

Nick, I certainly will not be moving away from EVO...Have every copy a many years of Performance Car before it. Buyers guide has always been one of my the articles I look forward to and the big pics you have of the cars and I just missed that in the new layout....Would have been good to have seen the Evora in old format but as I said I'm sure I will get used to it.

Overseas (US) subscriber here:

The paper quality clearly dropped. If the quality drop didn't save you guys some serious coin, you should be reaming the printers. Considering an overseas subscription is over $100, the quality is unacceptable.

On the plus side, I *really* enjoyed the expanded content, especially the extended articles. The photos feel a bit packed in, but they are as good as ever.

If it hadn't been for the paper, I'd say this is has been my favorite EVO outside of CotY. The writing is fantastic, and the low(er) budget sports car article slams the door on folks who say you only write about unobtainium. Nice work.

Andyk said...

Nick, thanks for the reply...No need to send me another copy as I have read it and I really only posted to let the team know about the paper quality so it could be put right.....It is clear from the comments above that there is a quality issue this month. Even my wife look at it and said the same...May be worth you having a closer look.....Just me but I really do not like the new layout but I am only one customer so will have to get used to it but the one thing I will not get used to is the quality if it stays the same as this month.....

Again thanks for your reply...

AndyK - lover of ellipsis

duncs500 said...

While you're on Nick, when are the subs going to get the non-gloss covers that the non-subs are now getting?:)

I agree - non-gloss covers for subs copies, please!

--

Speed holes.

My 2p:
- LOVE the redesign
- no paper worries here (subscriber)
- don't mind whether the cover is gloss or matt
- keep up the fine work - I echo the comment above about Meaden's hot hatch article and also Henry's Scottish adventure in the Aston

I hadn't realised any dip in quality, the photography for the Aston feature is stunning, captures the cars and the landscape beautifully. Loved the metro rally car piece took me back to being a lad standing next to the a68 hoping to see parts of the Rac entourage roar past. It's only when I buy another car magazine that it dawns on you how superior evo is. Keep it up.

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular