Forums > Geeks corner > FAO Jocks (Scotland Trip)...

FAO JOCKS (SCOTLAND TRIP)...
Previous | 12 | Next

We (at least I think) have agreed that for our summer hols this year we will go north of the border and do a bit of exploring.

So, seeing as we're nearly in March :shock:, probably time I start making a plan.

Picturesque scenery and historically significant stuff would be good... and if they happen to be at the end of nice roads, all the better!

Also recommendations for good places to stay, on a normal budget (eg. nice, but basic is fine, although a couple of nights somewhere fancy could be a good treat if there's a worthy place).

Probably a Friday to (a week on) Sunday type of affair, so maybe 8-10 nights.

Cheers chaps.

ps. We've both been to Edinburgh and are probably not too fussed about going back on this particular trip, so think more mountains and lochs than Purple tin in the city centres.;)

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Skye is purdee and a great road trip. You'll see some great scenery. I've only stayed at one hotel and it was free. (Did I mention we stayed in the same room that Michelle Pfeiffer used whilst filming Stardust? I've 5hat in the same bog as her y'know....), so not much help.

Aviemore is much improved, with loads of outdoor activities (quad biking, horse riding, clay pigeon shooting, wild deer feeding, sky parks, steam train, chairlift to the ski-slopes etc etc). We tend to use the Coylumbridge hotel as it is good for sprogs n dogs, but you won't have the same needs.

Fort William?

Inverness?

Cape Wrath lighthouse?

Glasgow if you want to see what should be the capital ;)

And you have to include a drive along the A93 at least once. From Braemare to Blairgowrie at least.

Updated February 21, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I quite liked Moffat lovely wee town. Disclaimer: I have only been there and Edinburgh :)

Cheers gents, I'll have a look into them.:)

--

- Uninspiring soundtrack

Any ideas for a good waypoint in the north of England I should think about as a good stop on the way up?

I guess it makes sense to go to Scotland now while it's still part of the UK and I don't need a visa.;)

--

- Uninspiring soundtrack

mik said...

Skye is purdee and a great road trip. You'll see some great scenery. I've only stayed at one hotel and it was free. (Did I mention we stayed in the same room that Michelle Pfeiffer used whilst filming Stardust? I've 5hat in the same bog as her y'know....), so not much help.

Aviemore is much improved, with loads of outdoor activities (quad biking, horse riding, clay pigeon shooting, wild deer feeding, sky parks, steam train, chairlift to the ski-slopes etc etc). We tend to use the Coylumbridge hotel as it is good for sprogs n dogs, but you won't have the same needs.

Fort William?

Inverness?

Cape Wrath lighthouse?

Glasgow if you want to see what should be the capital ;)

And you have to include a drive along the A93 at least once. From Braemare to Blairgowrie at least.

I liked Skye. Didn't have time to go into Inverness last time I was busy going round the north coast. Fort William was a bit boring in itself but useful to stay at as there are nice places fairly close. I've heard good things about Oban but have only been there to catch a ferry.

duncs500 said...

Any ideas for a good waypoint in the north of England I should think about as a good stop on the way up?

I guess it makes sense to go to Scotland now while it's still part of the UK and I don't need a visa.;)

Not sure where you are coming from but I've stayed in the premier inn at Carlisle a couple of times and it was OK. Just off the motorway too so nice and easy to get to.

Skye/Applecross is great. We stayed in the Applecross campsite and their Pizza's are to die for...better than the ones I had in NYC! Quite fun staying in a wishbone hut! http://www.applecross.uk.com/campsite/

You can of course class it up and stay somewhere more comfortable and of course eat in some real nice places there. The Inn is well renowned as is Applecross Garden http://www.applecrossgarden.co.uk

As regards driving then the view over Applecross' famous pass on a clear day is breath taking!

The road from Applecross to Pitlochry is beautiful and can take in lochs, dams and the famous Eilean Donan castle. On a quiet day you can make serious progress on lovely smooth tarmac.

Once in Pitlochry you can soak up some sights and relax. Can recommend http://www.selfcatering-in-scotland.co.uk/scotland_log_cabins/scotland_log_cabin.html as place to stay. We hired a log cabin with good discount and very much enjoyed access to our hot tub whilst watching the sun set, sipping a cider and watching low flying tornados run up the valley.

From Pitlochry you can then move onto Royal Deeside...Braemar...Ballater...the A93 is a fun road. I wouldn't recommend following it all the way to Aberdeen but there would be a good way to cut across east and back down towards home. The other option is to head from Pitlochry to Perth and then back down through Glasgow or Edinburgh; either is a similar distance.

If you want a real challenge then you could try and visit the most remote pub...you'll prob be using a boat to get there but seems like fun! http://www.theoldforge.co.uk It's on my to do list.

Here's my trip around some of those areas:

http://community.evo.co.uk/account/blogs/index.cfm?action=view&blogid=612CE5CC-1999-557B-63B22AD6857F6373

http://community.evo.co.uk/account/blogs/index.cfm?action=view&blogid=6156C7D7-1999-557B-638076BB0C446954

For places in England the Lake District might be a good choice depending on which side you are coming up.

We took the Caterham to http://www.millholmehouse.com/yurt.html and it was very plush for camping...well they do call it glamping!

Updated February 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I'm staying at Applecross for a weekend at the end if April. We'll have to share notes when we go for that pint.

--

Ben

So for your summer holiday you're visiting winter? ;)

I'd love to do a similar trip but I'd never get MrsREV to agree.

--

Out of step with the forum.

Ben__B said...

I'm staying at Applecross for a weekend at the end if April. We'll have to share notes when we go for that pint.

:idea:

Is that part of a wider trip, or a one off?

--

- Uninspiring soundtrack

Diesel Taxi said...

I quite liked Moffat lovely wee town. Disclaimer: I have only been there and Edinburgh :)

Some great roads between Moffat and Edinburgh as well. One of my favourite usual runs is from Penicuik to Moffat and back again. Going for a walk up the side of the Gray Mare's tail waterfall is good while you're there as well.

--

I often drive for a road travel

I'm hoping to do a Jocko trip next year, in my new car if I ever get one.

So full write ups please, Duncs and Ben!

markmctavish said...

Here's my trip around some of those areas:

link1 fixed

link2 fixed

Barry ;)

Updated February 22, 2013 at 1:11 PM

We did that last August and it was lovely. Stayed next to Ulswater on the way up then, near Loch Long, then hired a cottage overlooking the sea in the North of Skye. You will struggle not to find amazing scenery and roads once you get past Glasgow.

Make sure you go for a walk up the Cullins on Skye, properly impressive mountians/hills. Also the campsite on the beach at the base looked mega if that's your thing.

Good luck with the weather, we only had two mixed days and a lot of sunshine for the rest......we were very lucky by all accounts though.

--

Cheers,
Mike

I concur with a lot of what has been said already. Drive up the west to Skye (We got a deal and stayed here. Speyside is always worth a trip followed by a run down the the A93 and stay in Perth.

A high speed run through Glen Coe is epic as the scenery is out of this world!

The A86 & A889 from Spean Bridge to the A9 is a nice run too passing the Monarch of The Glen house

The Dukes Pass is always worth a blast Random Video

The A708 from Moffat to Selkirk is a welcome diversion of the M74 on the way up as it is a superb road starting tight and twisty and then gradually opening up with plenty of fast sweepers and great scenery.

What ever you do you'll have a great time. The items above are many of the reasons I love living up here!

8)

The Falkirk wheel is always worth a look too for the beauty of it's simplicity.

Wheel

duncs500 said...

Ben__B said...

:idea:

Is that part of a wider trip, or a one off?

One off. Set off friday night, come back Monday eve. The most epic evo meet was 4 days in the Highlands back in 2001

--

Ben

Most of what has been said so far is spot on, but a convenient loop can be had which takes in most of the places mentioned which are north of Glasgow.

Based on my experience,(and with apologies for use of old photos) from Glasgow I'd pass up through the left bank of Loch Lomond and then head from Crianlarich and across Rannoch Moor on the A82 onto Glencoe.

After Glencoe, you can jump across to Skye, before returning back and heading onto Lochcarron and eventually Applecross over the Bealach Na Ba:

We spent a night in Applecross in one of the little huts Markmctavish mentions which are perfectly comfortable, however more fancy environs are available in the surrounding area.

At this point as you have a few more days you could probably venture further north onto Gairloch and Ullapool, but you can also cut across the A890 to Dingwall and then back down the east coast starting with Inverness, pop into Aviemore and then head through Grantown on Spey. The road from Grantown on Spey through the Lecht is epic:

This then conveniently leads onto the A93 through Braemar and up onto Glenshee where you'll generally find Mik loitering most weekends. I wasn't even intending to meet him when I saw this in the Glenshee car park:

After this you can continue further south down the east coast or cut back across the country via Aberfeldy and Killin, which takes you back to Crianlarich and back south to Glasgow.

I managed the majority of this in 3 days, so if you have a bit more time I'd definitely recommend heading further north, or taking a ferry across to the Outer Hebrides for a day as, although there isn't much to do, the beaches are incredible.

Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll enjoy.

--

"Drink, drugs and driving a black Porsche Carrera what a big brave man he is, also a father and husband, HOW SO VERY SCARY!!!!!!!"

Another vote for Glen Coe, we took it in when we did Applecross in the Boxster and it was properly EPIC scenery. Never seen the like before.

Also another vote for the Granton of Spey --> Tommintoul --> Lecht road. Had a Caterham SV over there in November and it was bliss (except for the low sun).

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular