Forums > Tech > FAO Techies/Flewy - Steering groan ?

FAO TECHIES/FLEWY - STEERING GROAN ?
Previous | 1 | Next

Car : 2008 W204 C 200 CDI Manual 120k miles

Yesterday after performing a three point turn, just slightly right off centre, there is a creek/slight groan from the steering.

You can feel a small nugget of resistance, a slight lumpy feeling.

This only happens when stationary or at low speeds.

Power steering fluid level is correct.

Edit: 20 mins earlier, I stalled the car whilst going around a corner - Related ?

Any ideas ? :(

Thanks !

Updated February 20, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Top mount? Doubt the stall is related.

--

YOLO

I'd start by making sure the system is bled and check the quality of the hoses. It's possible the pump's on it's way out, but check the cheap/easy stuff first.

--

Something witty goes here.....

If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.

Googling about I have a hunch it is the bushes on the steering column

Jobbo said...

Top mount? Doubt the stall is related.

Should be able to tell if its top mount / TRE.

Jack the car up on one corner ( probably the side you deem noisiest )

Sit on your bum with the tyre between your thighs. ( this is options )

Place hands at 12 and 6 around the tyre

Wiggle tyre with a little force ( not enought to pull it off the jack if you are a powerfully build managing director )

If it clunks / clicks or wobbles it topmount

Do the same on 9 and 3

Its the TRE then ...

If neither , it didnt cost you ..

--

GiraffeIT.com / Installations / Support / Training

Sounds like it'd cost you your nuts if you did pull it of the jack.

--

The only c-word I'm allowed to use is cockwomble :(

Definitely not a top mount. I am sure the squeaky groan is column / pump related.

Ii had this on the Landy and it was a steering UJ.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular