Forums > General > Should there be a max number of times you can take driving test?

SHOULD THERE BE A MAX NUMBER OF TIMES YOU CAN TAKE DRIVING TEST?
Previous | 12 | Next

Watching the news this morning and there was a story about someone who's failed their driving theory test 107 times.

This is obviously an extreme example, but should there be a limit on the number of times you can take your driving test?

If you've done it loads of times and still not passed, then maybe driving's not for you.

I'm pretty sure you can't take pilots' licence tests over and over again. Same for becoming a surgeon and no doubt other professions where you could directly mpactbother people's lives?

So why domwe see driving as a right, when some people clearly aren't cut out for it?

If you pass the test, then you are deemed a good enough standard to drive on the road, who cares how many times it takes.

Driving is a right IMO. If you can prove you can meet the standard required, drive within the laws of the road and pay all the relevant taxes/insurances/etc then it is your right to drive on your roads.

--

Cheers

Rich

I don't think there's a limit on pilots licences.

While I understand the idea that someone shouldn't pass by dumb luck after many retries, I actually think this is fairly unlikely to happen.

I wouldn't be comfortable condemning anyone to a life of public transport, especially in the sticks.

Yes. Driving isn't a right and there should be a limit. If you can't pass a standard test in five attempts then you're clearly not able to grasp the concepts involved in a way that make you safe in traffic.

Add in a rule of dispensation for more attempts if a convincing case can be made. Cancellations do not count as an attempt.

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

PugRallye2 said...

Watching the news this morning and there was a story about someone who's failed their driving theory test 107 times.

At £31 per theory test, that's a nice little earner for the DVLA.

--

Speed holes.

This is a tough one - on one hand driving requires some skills, and on the other hand the society is arranged in such a way that being denied the possibility to drive is a serious penalty.
Apparently the political solution that's been chosen is to try and accomodate very low standards for driving skills, by rules (e.g. low speed limits) and technology (e.g. ABS, EBD and whatever other acronyms).
Eventually my guess is that public roads driving will be replaced by sitting in self-driving cars which might be a good thing after all - since for the above reasons it's more and more difficult to enjoy driving on public roads, at least with self-driving cars you will do able to do something else while moving.

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

I don't understand how people can fail the theory test.

Failing the theory test? Not necessarily, that suggets that the person simply hasn't been 'trained' for at least one part of it (hazard perception possibly?) correctly.

Failing the practical test? Yes, there should be a maximum followed by the lack of ability to resit for a few months. And possibly an upper limit beyond that.

Remember, most people driving today never took a theory test.

As for 'driving is a right', no, you don't have the 'right' to drive over a ton of metal at up to 70mph. It's a privilege that's earned by showing the ability to control said ton of metal safely and with a modicum of competence, and an understanding of how the rules of the road work.

You can't have a right to do something that involves skill - that's not how the world works.

In some cantons in Switzerland if you fail your test 3 times you are referred to a psychiatrist.

Beany said...

Failing the theory test? Not necessarily, that suggets that the person simply hasn't been 'trained' for at least one part of it (hazard perception possibly?) correctly.

Failing the practical test? Yes, there should be a maximum followed by the lack of ability to resit for a few months. And possibly an upper limit beyond that.

As for 'driving is a right', no, you don't have the 'right' to drive over a ton of metal at up to 70mph. It's a privilege that's earned by showing the ability to control said ton of metal safely and with a modicum of competence, and an understanding of how the rules of the road work.

You can't have a right to do something that involves skill - that's not how the world works.

This with bells on. My irritating twunt of a housemate has failed 7 times and has the spacial awareness of someone who has drunk a bottle of JD, he can barely see and supposedly attempted his last 2 tests without wearing glasses. I couldn't think of anything scarier than being in a car with someone like that.

As for driving being a right, what a load of shit, that goes a long way too explaining why driving standards are so piss poor. :roll:

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

John said...

I don't understand how people can fail the theory test.

some people have real problems with taking tests

plus a lot probably cant speak english :p

i don't have an issue with the number of tests, the lack of skid testing, night driving, m way driving and avoidance driving is an issue for me

plus the fact that all new drivers seem to be taught to drive at 22mph but not to stop for anything ...

--

Making pancake mix on your mums pancake tits

WIBBLE

I passed my test on the 6th try. Actually.

I don't know about this limiting thing, some people get super nervous and sh1t biscuits but are pretty good drivers (once they eventually pass) when they're not in a 'test environment' so they fail by just losing it and forgetting how to pull away without stalling and forget how to park etc.

Some others pass first time and crash straight into a post the next day. A lot of the worst drivers I know are those that had no prior experience of driving, then took an intensive course during a school break and then passed. All of them crashed within a month.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Beany said...

In Ireland, there was no driving test at all until 1977. you wrote off for a licence and they sent you one.

Explains a hell of a lot to be honest

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

MitoMan speaking some sense.

Has his account been hacked?

Fair enough some people get nervous come testing time, but that still isn't enough of an excuse. I failed my first practical test because I was so nervous I could barely remember my name.

Second time round was a breeze as I knew what to expect.

If you need more than five attempts I still hold you shouldn't be driving.

As for passing theory in five or less attempts? That should be the limit. I passed with a 39 degree fever (fee was non-refundable) so it isn't that hard.

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

Five times is excessive. Rather than introduce a limit I think a minimum number of lessons (including motorways!) should be proposed and if you fail then there needs to be 4 lessons before the next time you can retake the test. After five then a minimum of 10 further lessons are required before you can retake. Etc.

If its a privilege, it should be for the best. Fail once and you've lost it.

--

Cheers

Rich

Rich B said...

So there's no happy medium? Either let every spaktard have control over 1.5 tonnes of metal or just a handful of supremely talented?

--

Cheers,
Mike

caneswell said...

Rich B said...

So there's no happy medium? Either let every spaktard have control over 1.5 tonnes of metal or just a handful of supremely talented?

there is a happy medium in place right now. You pass the test, you can drive. But this isn't good enough apparently.

--

Cheers

Rich

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular