Forums > General > Ideas for a first car?

IDEAS FOR A FIRST CAR?
Previous | 12 | Next

Just found out from parents can buy my own first car instead of having to use my moms :D been searching for what to get and ive got around a year to save, in which i will find employment (hopefully). any ideas of what to get? insurance and mpg have to be good.

I was looking at mk1 golfs but theyre out of my budget. preferably something light and fast that i can go for an early thrashing round the country roads. cheers.

--

Pain don't hurt

Panda 100HP?

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

Delphi said...

Panda 100HP?

been thinking about it. found this but its a 4hour drive away.

Pug

--

Pain don't hurt

Have you checked the insurance on a 106 Rallye. I think you might find it a bit pricier than you'd expect.

TBH, you're going to be pretty much bound by what the insurance co aren't going to completely rape you for.

IME getting something that you don't mind collecting a few dents and scratches is probably a good idea too, at least while you find your feet.

--

Chief Wheel and Cake Monkey - Strong Broo Racing

Porsche 924

Cheers

Steve

Cinquecento Sporting or a Mini

Pug 205 XS if you can find one.

--

Clio 182/Spazda MX-5/Honda CRF450R/VFR400

nefarious_ said...

Have you checked the insurance on a 106 Rallye. I think you might find it a bit pricier than you'd expect.

TBH, you're going to be pretty much bound by what the insurance co aren't going to completely rape you for.

IME getting something that you don't mind collecting a few dents and scratches is probably a good idea too, at least while you find your feet.

+1

Basically something with four wheels and fairly reliable.You really need to get a claim free first year under your belt before you can start on anything interesting.

_Steveo_ said...

Porsche 924

Cheers

Steve

i was thinking more like a 964 but cant find any the midlands ;)

--

Pain don't hurt

Perfect

really does just depend on the insurance. close by, looks in good nic and is a pretty cool hot hatch IMO. only thing is it'd need some work since id want to replace most of the original parts since Euro rear lights arent my thing.

--

Pain don't hurt

If you're still a teenager forget anything with remotely sporting pretenses. You'll have to pay at least double what it's worth to insure it. Poverty spec supermini is your best bet.

Updated February 18, 2013 at 11:19 AM

--

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.

+1 on the insurance. You're gonna get bummed.

Ka?

--

This ^

youre advice has not been ignored. from looking around at websites and listening to you guys i think ill stick with my ma's focus (not a bad car to be fair) and keep any money i make from working for booze and saving for a better car in the future. cheers guys.

--

Pain don't hurt

Unless you really need your own car I honestly think you're best just driving your mom's car for a year or two and saving a bit of money. A Ford Ka might be alright, but you'd still be spending about £2k on insurance which is just madness IMO. Make sure you're on a policy that rewards named drivers with NCB though.

--

Entirely pointless

ukpete said...

Make sure you're on a policy that rewards named drivers with NCB though.

Definitely as you are going to have the to bite the insurance bullet one day

yeah think i'll have given it enough time for the insurance to have dropped significantly. im not driving when i go to uni and i hopefully wont have had any accidents up until then. fingers crossed.

--

Pain don't hurt

Seems like you've got the right idea Cameron. Get on your mum's, build up NCB, drive as much as you can to gain experience. And then after uni, land yourself a job and get something fun of your own.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Do a quote on compare the meerkat for all the cars you look at - saves getting your hopes up on cars that are just not going to happen...

--

Cheers

Rich

Cameron_Hill said...

Perfect

really does just depend on the insurance. close by, looks in good nic and is a pretty cool hot hatch IMO. only thing is it'd need some work since id want to replace most of the original parts since Euro rear lights arent my thing.

Good luck with that, assuming you are <21

--

Cheers,
Mike

Cameron_Hill said...

Perfect

Not a chance, you will not get insurance on that as a new driver and if you do it will be stratospheric. By something dirt cheap like a 1.1 106, Polo, Aygo. Get your own insurance policy, run round in that for a few years and then get a hot hatch. In the long run you will be better off.

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular