Forums > General > New car. This time its a good one, honest.

NEW CAR. THIS TIME ITS A GOOD ONE, HONEST.
Previous | 12345 | Next

Spent too long looking at sub £2 cars.

Everything was either depressingly bad or had things I was suspicious of.

Dealers cars were just laughably bad.

So decided to get something I actually WANTED. Think anything else would just be a false economy.

I like Aygos, but I think they are overpriced. Looking at £5k+ for a Platinum (alloys and aircon are must haves).

Tried a Twingo GT. Clever rear seats give loads of space, but again they seem expensive and the one I saw was covered in dents and scratches.

Ended up looking at a couple of Pandas. I tried a Multijet diesel before and liked it apart from the engine.
So 100HP were the target this time.
Again dealer cars are all rubbish, so a couple of prive ones.
Black '09 one for £4250 looked good on paper. But hadn't been looked after. Dents and scratches everywhere, badly kerbed wheels. Also 59k miles seemed a lot.

Then last week a private blue '08 with just 25k miles came up. It was mint. I couldn't find a single scratch or dent and virtually no stone chips. Agreed on £3800 and was sitting on our driveway yesterday afternoon.

Not my favorite colour, and I'm not sure about the Pandemonium Pack (stripe, silver mirrors, red calipers) but I am sure that it's a fantastic little car.

Updated February 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

I always like the look of these when I see one out and about. The stance and styling just look right. It'll be interesting to hear what it's like.

--

What's the difference between a BMW and a hedgehog?

NotoriousREV said...

I always like the look of these when I see one out and about. The stance and styling just look right. It'll be interesting to hear what it's like.

+1

Cracking choice for a chuckable run around.8)

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

that'll be fun 8)

please update sig to include "Panda 100hp Pandamonium" :D

I think the colour looks great 8)

Nice purchase - I've always liked Panda 100'ers

That looks rather nice - and I'm with Marv, I like the colour.

looks great! shame how compared to the current era or overly flashy hot hatches with 10 feet arches it looks quaint. only the real petrolheads will notice this gem though :)

--

Pain don't hurt

Good choice. My mate has one, they're great wee cars.

--

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.

Unfortunately I will have to call fail on it. Having tried to fit into one it didn't work.

Cracking car otherwise and I quite like the blue!

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

Nice car and the chunky looks do appeal to me 8)

--

http://retrotekracing.co.uk

I am quite surprised at how much fun it is.
Although you are sitting quite high up the complete lack of bodyroll means that you are soon throwing it around, and there is so much grip it's just hilarious how fast you can zip around roundabouts.

It has a lovely growl to it as well, really encourages you to rev it beyond 6000rpm, grab the next gear and do it again.

And that gearchange is brilliant. Was sceptical of the lever out of the dashboard thing, but it is just the perfect place. And the 6 ratios are perfectly spaced for keeping it on the boil all the time.

The Sport button is very effective. Drops the power assistance quite a lot and throttle response is turned up to 11, real hyper-sensitive. (Steering still increases to ridiculously light at parking speed, so 3 levels of assistance really).
It does only have 100bhp, but it really makes the most of them. Felt way faster than the Twingo GT (which had a bit of turbo lag).

Have been unable to avoid driving it like a hooligan so only averaging 36mpg at the moment. But insurance is cheaper than the MG was.

Ride IS hard and jiggly, but not as excessively as some will say. It suits the character of the car, (and it has LOTS of character).

Spec is good, has air con with excellent climate control, bluetooth, decent stereo.

Refinement is very surprising. Very quiet at low speeds, have to check it is actually running at idle. Much more grown up proper car feel than the Aygo.
This is the biggest contrast with the MG which shows up the time gap in their designs.

Not perfect though. Needs the tracking doing (common on these) and even this car is suffering from having a couple of ditchfinders on the front (what is wrong with people! Can't imagine how well it will corner with proper GSD3s).

Love it.

Updated February 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

Mark i think you need to read this blog, scroll down as your car has history :shock: press perhaps?

Oof

Awesome pic tho 8)

Updated February 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM

:shock:

Dobie? Was it in an Evo article?

Updated February 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM

--

Mark BT52 said...

Was it in an Evo article?

The plate looked familiar and then i remembered commenting on the photo in the blog . I believe its been in the mag before.

carlos said...

Mark BT52 said...

Was it in an Evo article?

The plate looked familiar and then i remembered commenting on the photo in the blog . I believe its been in the mag before.

Maybe Evo can pay to sort out the tracking. ;)

--

Aha
CLICKY

Amusingly, I actually read that article last week...

So now I have had two Evo group test cars

Updated February 18, 2013 at 10:24 AM

--

Spooky!

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

What are the chances?! Just had a quick scan of that article and there's no suggestion it's borrowed from an owner, so yep - an ex press car it would seem. Nothing to fear really - they tend to have thorough services and goings-over before being released on the public. And for £3800, I can't think of many cars that combine newness, sensibleness and fun as well as that. Bit of past life kudos!

Any car that can do this and stay on the road is full of win8)

I think blue is the best colour for them actually, and they're getting to a price I'd be willing to pay for one now. Good purchase, do want.

--

Entirely pointless

Going to have to change my avatar pic I think

--

Previous | 12345 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular