Forums > Geeks corner > My iPad 1

MY IPAD 1
Previous | 1 | Next

Yep :(

At least I think it's dead. I've noticed the last few days it seems to either have not fully charged or the charge has run down faster than normal. Tonight, I ran it down to 2% battery and plugged it in. Now it's constantly rebooting itself. Even if I turn it off using the top and home buttons held down, it switches itself back on.

So, I guess the battery is fubar. Any idea how much to fix it?

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

No, but have you tried hitting it with a hammer? Just a small one like. That might help. Let us know. :)

I'm doing the equivalent: full restore. Let's see if it helps at all.

--

Jobbo said...

Balls. after getting 99% of the way through the restore, it rebooted and is now bricked. $%^&%%%^^%$$£$£^&&*&!!!!!

--

Jobbo said...

Every time I try a restore now, it gets right to the very end and fails with an error of "-1". Helpful.

--

Jobbo said...

reboot your pc/mac

plug in the USB cable.

put said device into DFU.

restore.

--

GiraffeIT.com / Installations / Support / Training
evo featured Renault Megane R26 (c) Barry Club.

No dice.

You plug it in, iTunes detects it's in Recovery Mode, I start the restore, the progress bar makes it all the way across after a few minutes then it pops up with 'The iPad "iPad" could not be restored' and the Error of '-1'.

It's only 2.5 years old (ish). I can feel a Sale of Goods Act claim coming on. I don't expect a £500 electronic device to fail that early on in it's life.

--

Jobbo said...

Definatly in DFU and not recovery mode Dave ?

Let the battery run out , and then USB connect it with the DFU combo buttons ready.

--

andybond said...

Definatly in DFU and not recovery mode Dave ?

Let the battery run out , and then USB connect it with the DFU combo buttons ready.

Think so, black screen (ie not on) rather than the "Connect to iTunes" dialogue.

--

Jobbo said...

That sounds about right.

Can you get it out of DFU mode ?

--

I don't think so. How would one try? I've tried turning it off and the power/home reset combo.

--

Jobbo said...

redsn0w - exit DFU mode tool

--

Have you spoken to @JonBradbury? He's very good.

Take it to a genius Rev

Cheers

Steve

_Steveo_ said...

Take it to a genius Rev

Cheers

Steve

Failing that, give it to Andy to fix :lol:

Try it on another computer as well, rules out a lot of issues. If you can do it on a Mac that's always preferable, iTunes works better on these.

-1 is a general hardware issue, not that easy to diagnose exact issue.

Offical Support Article

As regards sales of goods/warranty then here is their blurb on it for clarification:

Apple Warranty/EU Law

Updated February 21, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Cheers Mark, I've already tried it on a Mac. It's definitely some kind of hardware fault, it's been acting a bit funny for a while.

I know what Apple's interpretation of SOGA is, but I don't think it matters what they say. IMHO, a £500+ peice of kit shouldn't fail at 2.5 years old. A similarly priced TV, for example, would be expected to last at least double that.

--

Jobbo said...

NotoriousREV said...

Cheers Mark, I've already tried it on a Mac. It's definitely some kind of hardware fault, it's been acting a bit funny for a while.

I know what Apple's interpretation of SOGA is, but I don't think it matters what they say. IMHO, a £500+ peice of kit shouldn't fail at 2.5 years old. A similarly priced TV, for example, would be expected to last at least double that.

Probably because a TV usually doesn't get handled/passed around/occasionally dropped like an iPad does. ;)

Sounds like you may have shocked it at some point and shaken up its internals slightly. :?

--

Cockwallet

It's had an easy life. Ironically, the one the kids use that we acquired 2nd hand and already damaged is still going strong.

In any case, a portable device should be designed with being passed around in mind.

--

Jobbo said...

_Steveo_ said...

Take it to a genius Rev

Except they're not. I've spoken to them a few times about why my ipad doesn't show my photostream and none of them have worked it out.

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular