Forums > General > New car musings and couple of Audi test drives

NEW CAR MUSINGS AND COUPLE OF AUDI TEST DRIVES
Previous | 12 | Next

Need to get a new car sorted out sooner rather than later as the ML is likely going back in April as that's when the 3 yr pcp is up, got a guaranteed residual from Mercedes which is more than the current value so more likey to just hand it back, don't like the new ML and the cls cars have the full transmission tunnel in the back, meaning rear space is a bit more limited..

They offered a new shape E63 for £699 a month though, although £8k down, before official release and already with a 9k "dealer contribution"

So anyway the audi's,it was the A7 first of all, in 3l BiTdi guise,Quattro, s line spec so 20's nav etc etc.

The one in the showroom was actually the black edition , with 21" wheels with 4 x 275/30/21 :shock:(about £280 each, I checked)!

Under the lights it looked great, and after wondering around the mercedes, Audi and BMW dealers it makes you realise audi have got the styling really spot on, they are all very generic but compared to bmw especially they are just so much nicer to look at..

Anyway back to the A7, away from the showroom lights and with the test cars 20"s I just can't decide about the looks, nice from the front but a saggy arse!

The engine, after reading reviews I was expecting great things but this lump takes diesel to a new level, it's a genuinely quick car, over 300bhp, oodles of torques, and reall world mid range pull from 50-80 that i have really missed having the ML where I have not gone for overtakes because it just does not have the grunt. the gearbox is the great 8spd auto with paddles which actually work compared with the ML's 7 speeder, checking the figures afterwards it does 5.3 to 60 FFS :lol:

It even sounds good, I am not joking here, a throaty growl and parked up it has a distinctive engine note, it makes the ML engine which is the latest gen blue efficiency version seem coarse.

Driving wise It's a typical audi, loads of grip, firm suspension, but the road noise was worse than expected, other than that It was pretty standard fare, big boot, good spec, still a big car but compared to the 4x4's and with the coupe styling you get the high shoulder lines which means the kids visibility is reduced, also would struggle to get 2+car seats, recaro young sports in our case but then I suppose nothing other than people carriers would and they aint an option (neither are estates btw according to her) :p

The Q7 was a top spec s-line plus with 21" wheels and the 245bhp 3l tdi but it felt like it was pulling an anchor even compared to the merc, rode well even on 21" wheels with the air ride..

Long and short of it none the wiser, with a 3 and 5 yr old and maybe another in the foreseeable I really can't decide, "sensible" option of the two audis is the A7 with Lease deals being £100 cheaper than the Q7, who's interior is really looking its age now, the A7 dash is absolutely fantastic, Q7 replacement is imminent as well so the spy shots Indicate anyway.

We also popped in to have a quick look at land rover as she likes the evoque, although a quick squint and it's far too small, the new Range Rover is awesome though but the one in the showroom was an eye watering 101k :o

X5's are off the list as too expensive to buy and likewise big money to lease.

I need a drive of the M5, it's the only thing that's actually interesting me and at "reasonable" lease prices.

Updated February 16, 2013 at 7:18 PM

--

A yellow loltus

That BiTDi engine is brilliant. Even the single turbo version in the A4 sounds genuinely good; they really do make petrels pretty redundant. Shame they're not as economical as equivalent BMWs.

Considered an A6 Avant or Allroad BiTDi? If I were buying new I'd probably choose an Audi now for the reasons you mention. Although it all depends on the deal as ever, which is why I'm not...

I didn't read your post properly but I think the A7 arse looks great, especially the squared off Kamm tail. Good looking motor.

--

What's the difference between a BMW and a hedgehog?

Rev is correct. I quite fancy an A7 when they've depreciated.

Voila:

--

I reckon the guy who designed the A7 saw a dog taking a sh1t and really liked how dogs bend when they take a sh1t. That's what it looks like. A dog taking a sh1t.

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

No it doesn't. And Clarkson said that about the Chrysler Crossfire a decade or more ago so it's not even original.

You of all people on this forum can't say what looks good and what doesn't.

--

A7

--

Mito Man said...

You of all people on this forum can't say what looks good and what doesn't.

I don't think a penchant for colourful interiors has any bearing on my ability to distinguish two things which look entirely different. You're entirely wrong and you're just trotting out a line you've heard on Dave.

Jobbo said...

That BiTDi engine is brilliant. Even the single turbo version in the A4 sounds genuinely good; they really do make petrels pretty redundant. Shame they're not as economical as equivalent BMWs.

Considered an A6 Avant or Allroad BiTDi? If I were buying new I'd probably choose an Audi now for the reasons you mention. Although it all depends on the deal as ever, which is why I'm not...

It's like it's evolved so quick its missed a couple of generations, it's that good!

She's worried the A7 wouldn't be big enough, it's huge :lol:

The daughter loved the A7, laughed out loud every time you booted it :twisted:

--

A yellow loltus

Never liked the A7, looks like an A6 that's been bummed by a CLS Merc. Do not want.

--

Tim

M135i 8 Speed Auto. Alpine White. Faster than Yu.

couple of good pics here,the 21's really do make the car, I am such a tart :lol:

One in the showroom was white , exactly like this actually
clicky linky

--

A yellow loltus

I saw an A7 black edition in Birmingham this week. The wheels looked large but I had no idea they were 21". I think the RS3 style 5-arm wheels are getting a bit prolific now though.

21" wheels? WTF!

Those 21" rimz look huge!

I really like the A7. Very smart looking thing.

--

This ^

There's a new RR Sport coming which would fit the bill perfectly... not coming soon enough though if you have to change in April :( What about a Cayenne? Or a leftfield choice of XJ Supersport with 500bhp? You will get a very big discount!

fixed link for Teh twenty onez

How much discount on the XJR, I know someone who told a mate he got 20 grand off a new XKR cab last week:?

--

A yellow loltus

Foz said...

fixed link for Teh twenty onez

Oof, that looks damn good to my eyes. They should do a V10 RS7.

--

Try a GL.

Narrower than a Disco 3 and the same length as a Q7. A proper 7 seater and still has a boot and another level up from a ML in refinement. Massive inside aswell.

Not sure how the newer engines fare but admittedly the 320 was a little sluggish. Not driven a 420.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular