Forums > General > Section 59

SECTION 59
Previous | 12 | Next

Anyone else had one of these?

I undertook two cars turning right on a dual-carriageway-linking roundabout last night. I.e. went around the outside of them. Leaving the roundabout I noted that the trailing car was now hot on my heals, undertaking the other car. I'd clearly shown him the way to get past the dawdler in front of him, and now he wanted to drive with some gusto for a bit.

Half a mile up the road and there's two police cars at the side having pulled someone over. I slow down a tad and pull into lane 2 to give them some space, but I'm still doing 85 or so, and the limit for my van is 60 on a DC. I note with interest that the other car is still right behind me - I'm surprised he didn't bottle it a bit past the (busy) police cars. Most people normally do.

Next roundabout I undertake another car while going straight across, and as a result run fairly close to a car in lane 1 as I exit before being able to get back out into lane 2. But I'm focused and alert and don't feel too bad about it...

Anyway, the car that's been following me all this time then puts his flashing blues on and pulls me over. Doh.

Still, a section 59 (a slap on the wrists basically) isn't bad considering I undertook 3 vehicles, one of them an unmarked police Fiesta ST, and got up to about a ton between roundabouts, and allegedly almost hit another car.

It's amazing what you can get away with if you're just polite, articulate, courteous and apologetic.

His description on the form:

"You have undertaken the police vehicle continuing on to a roundabout using the outside to negotiate a right turn. You have then continued at speed narrowly missing another motorist causing the vehicle to deviate."

While writing me up he commented that my van had had a "hell of a lean" on it when I attacked around the outside of the roundabout. I think he thought it was in danger of falling over or something, which clearly ain't gonna happen. He mentioned video footage, and it was all I could do to not go "Video? Video?! Show me show me show me! Can I get a copy of it please?"

:D

Updated February 15, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Don't get another or your van will be seized :lol:

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

i got one on my R32

twat in a van wouldn't pull over out of lane 3, after 4 miles of an empty lane 2 i nailed it and undertook him and shot of like a scalded cat

van behind me had a chief superintendent in it :roll:

i got bollocked for what seemed like an hour on the side of the road

lesson learnt, i avoided motorways now if i can

sold the car 6 weeks later :shock:

Updated February 15, 2013 at 11:38 AM

--

Making pancake mix on your mums pancake tits

WIBBLE

Why were you driving like a cock ?

Jobbo said...

Yeah, which is an odd thing to do. "We will seize your van, and you can pay £140 to get it back." Why not just fine me £140? Why not give me some points? Points are the best deterrent, surely?

It only lasts for 12 months anyway, not overly worried about it.

He said something about them intentionally handing these out instead of slapping everyone with 6 points for dangerous/due-care-less driving. I didn't quite follow why, and was in a bit of a rush so didn't want to hang around chatting with him for too long.

_Mick_N said...

I'm sure your "Fugly could keep up with a C55 AMG driven like he stole it" didn't involve any law breaking or driving like a cock whatsoever.

--

Cheers

Rich

_Mick_N said...

Was running late for valentines shagging. My FB moved away a few months ago, but just happened to be in the area for work yesterday/today. Unfortunately she accidentally gave me the wrong postcode for her hotel which turned what should have been a 25 min journey into 1hr or so. I used this as my defence too. "I know it's no excuse officer, but..."

He seemed to understand and said he wished he was off to do the same :D We also joked about how I'd be driving like a saint when I went back home, post-boffing ;-)

Most coppers are pretty decent, imho.

Rich B said...

_Mick_N said...

I'm sure your "Fugly could keep up with a C55 AMG driven like he stole it" didn't involve any law breaking or driving like a cock whatsoever.

Nope none whatsoever

_ said...

I undertook two cars turning right on a dual-carriageway-linking roundabout last night. I.e. went around the outside of them.

So you were in lane 1 and the 2 other cars were in lane 2? And you went past them on the roundabout in those positions?

I don't actually get what's wrong with that. :?

_Mick_N said...

"...my van...."

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

_Mick_N said...

Rich B said...

_Mick_N said...

Nope none whatsoever

either you're a liar or the worst driver alive then. I can't think of a single way to drive a 350bhp car fast enough to have another car think its a race and not break the law. I'm intrigued though.

--

Cheers

Rich

If you continue at or below the speed limit in the slow lane and happened to go past a slow car dawdling in the middle lane, can they do you for that?

I can't see how the person on the inside lane can be in the wrong.

Serious question.:oops:

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

You know those roundabouts the the exits of motorways and dual carriageways? You can take those at 70 right?

--

How about not having a sig at all?

_ said...

Jobbo said...

Yeah, which is an odd thing to do. "We will seize your van, and you can pay £140 to get it back." Why not just fine me £140? Why not give me some points? Points are the best deterrent, surely?

It only lasts for 12 months anyway, not overly worried about it.

He said something about them intentionally handing these out instead of slapping everyone with 6 points for dangerous/due-care-less driving. I didn't quite follow why, and was in a bit of a rush so didn't want to hang around chatting with him for too long.

much higher cash raising opportunities doing this

--

Making pancake mix on your mums pancake tits

WIBBLE

None of the cars that I undertook were exactly dawdling. I was fairly committed at 9/10ths or so while railing around the outside of the roundabout, and accelerated briskly up to a ton or so before getting hard on the brakes diving down the inside of the third car on the next roundabout... I was definitely driving like a cock, I don't deny it.

If I'd known the first car I passed was a police I would have been utterly shocked if he [i]hadn't[/b] pulled me over for my behaviour.

Many years ago I received one too, for acting the d1ck. I was driving through my home town one evening during freshers week at the local campus. There were I'd guess 20 female uni freshers at a bus stop waiting to go in to Nottingham on a night out. None of them wearing very much and a lovely sight for sore eyes!
The said stop was positioned next to the the exit for a roundabout, at the start of a (30 limit but none residential I add) straight that was probably 300 metres long?
Being in a shouty blue 172 Cup I did what most young testosterone filled males would do and demonstrated it's 0-60 to them, in the vein hope that one of them may be impressed enough to want to sleep with me.
One person definitely wasn't impressed though, the off duty cop walking down the road at that very same moment.
Received a knock on the door the next day to him relaying what he witnessed, a telling off and a section 59 produced. Ooooops....

Updated February 15, 2013 at 2:51 PM

--

www.leatherbetter.co.uk
Make imperfect leather brand new again.

I just don't really understand why I've been given one instead of speeding fine/points and/or "driving without due care" etc. I've certainly got a lot more for a lot less in the past!

Not that I'm complaining like, just curious.

Witnessed by plod but unable to prove what you've done wrong i.e no usable video or certified speeding kit in use?

_ said...

I just don't really understand why I've been given one instead of speeding fine/points and/or "driving without due care" etc. I've certainly got a lot more for a lot less in the past!

Not that I'm complaining like, just curious.

You were pulled by a copper who still has an ounce of decency in him and prefers to speak to the driver and judge the instance on its merits, nothing more. Stuff him and have him displayed somewhere, because he's a dying breed.

--

BMW Car Magazine @QuentlyBentin

carlos said...

Witnessed by plod but unable to prove what you've done wrong i.e no usable video or certified speeding kit in use?

Was it a traffic car or something like an unmarked astra?
If it was a traffic car it was a decent copper if unmarked panda car they probably had no evidence for formal prosecution so sect 59 was the only way to go.

Should start using section 59 for middle lane hoggers.

Carl

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular