Forums > General > Blinded by the light

BLINDED BY THE LIGHT
Previous | 1 | Next

In the 80's my dad's Cavalier had a dark tinted strip along the top of windscreen that stopped you getting blinded by the sun when it was low in the sky.

Fast forward 25 years, and as I drive to work each morning the sun sits conveniently in between the rear view mirror and the roof line staring right in to my eyes.

Thinking about it I can't remember ever owning a car that had this feature. Did it used to be common, do any manufacturers still do it, and why do such useful things get dropped?

Both of ours have tinted top sections.

mik said...

Both of ours have tinted top sections.

This.

In addition the Audi has a separate blind for above the rear view mirror.

--

Strong Broo Racing

Seemed to remember a Merc or a BMW I had a had third miniature sun visor above the rear view mirror

My old Octavia vRS had a mini sun visor behind the rear view mirror. My new one oddly, doesn't.

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

My old Audi S6 had a third sun visor but it was just a small rectangle so still didn't exactly fill the gap above the mirror.

Most of my BMWs have had the top tinted windscreen (optional, about £60 or so). It's a gradual fade into the glass and it's grey not green so it gives you the permanent impression that a storm is brewing.

I can't remember what car it was, but it had a simple sticker to fill in the gap between the visors, did the job perfectly.

I'd like a MINI type setup where you have a front and side visor.

--

Moon on a stick.

The replacement windscreen for my Golf came with a light tint at the top of the screen. Works fairly well.

I had a tint put at the top of the windscreen on my 968. It's pretty dark so it works even better.

--

Speed holes.

I just had a look online and you can buy stips pre-cut for your car very cheaply. It's not something I'd thought of before. Think I might give it a try, its cheap enough so that if it looks crap I can just bin it.

I'm sure both my M3's had something called "Comfort Screen" which was like a an iridium wash/film that look a bit rainbowy from the outside but was magic at keeping the glare and heat out.

I've never seen an aftermarket type treatment like this.

carlos said...

I'm sure both my M3's had something called "Comfort Screen" which was like a an iridium wash/film that look a bit rainbowy from the outside but was magic at keeping the glare and heat out.

I've never seen an aftermarket type treatment like this.

Hmmm, I just had a look at BMW UK and you can spec a Comfort windscreen
for £ 160.00 on your M3. In the US you can't. A little digging and it appears to be standard, so maybe I did have a car with it on after all :oops:. That doesn't explain why the 5 series doesn't have it though unless, no, it can't be, this is unbearable. What if the car is not on it's original windscreen :shock:.

Updated February 15, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Father's old SEL500 had a mini sun visor for just this place.

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular