Forums > General > Little car is dead.... need new BIG car!

LITTLE CAR IS DEAD.... NEED NEW BIG CAR!
Previous | 1234 | Next

So - it seems like having a little car was the wrong idea... my little iQ got rear ended yesterday (luckily the kids weren't in it) and that got me thinking - I need a big car. Little cars are frugal, fun and funky - but if you get hit up the rear - then you fly off up the road it ends up getting written off.. yes, the iQ is damaged beyond repair.

So - what next... ?

Budget £15k ish
Seats - 4
Must be able to fit my bass playing gear in
Fun factor - at least 10.
Size - big enough for me not to worry about being rear ended again.

Car history includes Nissan 200SX, Clio182 BMW135i...

Updated February 13, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Audi S4 avant

Wow that's really a write-off on a 61 plate car?! :shock:

--

Tim

M135i 8 Speed Auto. Alpine White. Faster than Yu.

Yep - but I took a pretty heavy impact to the rear and then another to the drivers side - so the chassis is probably bent. Parkers guide has it at around £7.5k value - so... £4k repairs makes it a write off I guess?

Sheesh. New for old policy?

--

Tim

M135i 8 Speed Auto. Alpine White. Faster than Yu.

Still waiting for their 'offer' - based on market value... :-(

StEvie_200SX said...

Have had the offer through on our car. Had we done nothing to it in the year we'd had it I would have been satisfied, but apparently four new tyres (eight weeks old) on new rims are worth nowt and with everything else that had been done the car should have been worth more, especially as some of the recall work was for a limited period only and would now cost a grand to have done by Volvo.

550i M Sport

E55K

Hemi goodness!

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

Wanna buy a VXR8? I'll even give you change for rear tyres and SUL ;)

--

ClubLupo
Technomotive - Games, Cars, Stuff

DeskJockey said...

550i M Sport

E55K

Hemi goodness!

lol at the nearly 4 year old photos for the Dodge.

Hadn't thought of the 550i as a 55AMG alternative, cheers for that (or is it more of an E500 alternative? - off to check the stats at Parkers)

--

Am considering the 5-touring... also an A6-Avant is nice.

Not fond of the E55 looks - prefer the C-class.. but that's not big enough to be big...

Kinda like the old V70 - but that's a bit dull...

Also considering RX-8 (love japanese cars) or Scoobywagon (wife thinks not...) or an EVO VIII?

Had been thinking about a VXR-8 - could be fun... or maybe a 996 C2S... OR..... chuck another £10k in the pot and buy a 997?

as someone surrounded by commodores (_vanilla vxr8_) every day, get one. they're big, lazy, comfortable & reliable. great for kiddies (i grew up in the back of them), and with a great big pot of GM parts. even if you keep it for 15/20yrs, you'll still have a healthy supply of oem/aftermarket parts from Oz.

and they sound luuuuuvverly. :twisted:

Updated February 13, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Just ran the idea past the Mrs. and she said NO - it's a fookin Vauxhall... what are you thinking..

StEvie_200SX said...

Just ran the idea past the Mrs. and she said NO - it's a fookin Vauxhall... what are you thinking..

But it's not - it's a Holden. You can put the "proper" badges back if you like ;)

--

ClubLupo
Technomotive - Games, Cars, Stuff

StEvie_200SX said...

You DIW :roll:

Updated February 13, 2013 at 11:30 PM

She'll let you drive in that little Nissan, but veto a VXR8?

WT actual F? :lol:

I'd buy an S4 Wagon like THIS

--

I'd rather be wrong than dull

Jag XJR?
Legacy Spec B?

Updated February 14, 2013 at 6:09 AM

--

Cheers,
Mike

JonMad said...

DeskJockey said...

550i M Sport

E55K

Hemi goodness!

lol at the nearly 4 year old photos for the Dodge.

Hadn't thought of the 550i as a 55AMG alternative, cheers for that (or is it more of an E500 alternative? - off to check the stats at Parkers)

Maybe a better match for the non supercharged one.

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

DeskJockey said...

StEvie_200SX said...

Have had the offer through on our car. Had we done nothing to it in the year we'd had it I would have been satisfied, but apparently four new tyres (eight weeks old) on new rims are worth nowt and with everything else that had been done the car should have been worth more, especially as some of the recall work was for a limited period only and would now cost a grand to have done by Volvo.

550i M Sport

E55K

Hemi goodness!

Dont take first offer. tell them what you have spent on it and tell them you can provide receipts...
I got an extra 500 quid for my old 407 that way

Liking the idea of an S4 Avant - and also the 5-touring..

Considered a 159 Sportwagon but not getting much support on that one.

Reason for getting the iQ in the first place was it was little, fun and totally economical. Coming from a 135i which ate tyres and gobbled fuel etc...

But now we realise that in a rear collision - little car is not a safe option for the passengers..

Was planning to buy a 911 this year (as I turn 40) and this has kinda forced the issue a little... but I am going to need more ammo to convince the Mrs. that either £15k on a 996 or £25k on a 997 is a sound 'investment' and isn't going to cost us £000's... each year..

What would the running costs be for a £!5k 996? £1k a year? How about a £25k 997?

Previous | 1234 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular