Forums > General > More surprising than Pope's resignation

MORE SURPRISING THAN POPE'S RESIGNATION
Previous | 123 | Next

I was flicking through last week's Autocar when I noticed that the weight of the Merc E250 saloon at 1605kg was lighter than the 'enthusiast's choice' Jaguar F-type V6S at 1614kg! Does anyone know of anything more incongruous in the world of motoring?

Perhaps we could get Prof. Brain Cox to comment on whether we actually know what the Jag looks like as I suspect that light is distorted by it.

--

PaulJ

Wow, that's a massive difference :roll:

Not that surprising. Convertibles are always heavier than you'd think.

--

This ^

It is considering the Merc can seat 3 extra people and house their luggage. Jaguar should be ashamed.

--

PaulJ

PaulJ said...

It is considering the Merc can seat 3 extra people and house their luggage. Jaguar should be ashamed.

Aygo is about half the weight of a Merc SLS and the same applies.

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

I am surprised by how comparatively light the W212 is compared to the E60 and F10.

I know my Jorg Gray watch is heavier than my Citizen ecoDrive! 8)

That just makes the Jag seem heavy though.

The Jag is made of Aluminium as well, I would have thought it would be closer to Boxster type weight.

4-cylinder Merc lighter than 6-cylinder Jag shocker. Convertibles always weigh more than hard tops; the SLK250 CDI weighs 1590kg and the SLK55 weighs 1690kg, as a slightly more sensible comparison.

Jobbo said...

4-cylinder Merc lighter than 6-cylinder Jag shocker. Convertibles always weigh more than hard tops; the SLK250 CDI weighs 1590kg and the SLK55 weighs 1690kg, as a slightly more sensible comparison.

OK. Compare the new Boxster weight to the Jaguar - both 6 cylinder convertibles, and Jaguar still need to try harder.

By the way I'm embarrased to point out that the Boxster Spyder was lighter than my Cayman R...

--

PaulJ

Why compare the Boxster to the Jag? Mid-engined layout means the Boxster doesn't need a propshaft; the Porsche is much less powerful etc.

This isn't going the way you thought it would eh Paul ??

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

Jobbo said...

Why compare the Boxster to the Jag? Mid-engined layout means the Boxster doesn't need a propshaft; the Porsche is much less powerful etc.

To take your points in order:

1.Because I think many potential new buyers might.
2.More importantly, mid-engines also mean low polar moments and therefore greater agility.
3.I prefer to think in terms of power to weight ratio, though if you'd mention torque to weight I might not have had a comeback, (can't be bothered to do the maths).

Updated February 13, 2013 at 4:24 PM

--

PaulJ

V8 Jag sounds fantastic. Car looks great too. Click

It's actually 1775kg ;)

Clicky

[quote="_Mick_N"]It's actually 1775kg ;)

The one in Autocar is a 'Blue Efficiency'. Don't know if that makes any difference to the weight or if they have made (another) error. If I was a Jaguar designer I'd hope the Merc weighed 1775kg!

--

PaulJ

have they taken the golf clubs out of the boot ?

PaulJ said...

[quote="_Mick_N"]It's actually 1775kg ;)

The one in Autocar is a 'Blue Efficiency'. Don't know if that makes any difference to the weight or if they have made (another) error. If I was a Jaguar designer I'd hope the Merc weighed 1775kg!

Well why don't you pop your CV into JLR and right the wrongs then?

To55er :roll:

Orange Cola said...

To55er :roll:

:roll:

:roll:

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Previous | 123 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular