Forums > General > the future of hot rodding?

THE FUTURE OF HOT RODDING?
Previous | 12 | Next

Mazda rat rod, the kid's a douche but I like the car.

--

I often drive for a road travel

I liked both the kid and the car - doesn't take himself seriously and is very passionate about his hobby. Car is nuts though :lol:.

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

All those 4chan lol kids do my nut in. Can't knock his enthusiasm though.

--

Well I loved the video. Personally I think that this is always the most important aspect of any sport or hobby. Getting young people involved and giving their twist on things.
The recent hupplah here with the Race drivers being barred from racing in GT1 as they are much faster than the Gentlemen drivers. Is certainly the short sighted and considering that they sourced these fast guys from top 10 Gran Turismo players is something that is an indication of how car driving is going and something that surprised me.
Anyway alot of Car scenes end up cacooning themselves and ending up like Steam Train Enthusiasts

--

Whiskey is my yoga

Yeah I saw that thing about the GT academy guys. It seems like a catch 22 situation. They are looking at going into other series to get more race experience though.

--

Pretty cool but I don't see the logic of making a car handle like sh1t just so that it's exciting.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

What's s lemons race?

--

Cheers

Rich

Rich B said...

What's s lemons race?

Lemons

The $500 max car cost includes preparation costs, so the RX7 would be a bit over...

Updated February 13, 2013 at 10:55 PM

--

Entirely pointless

ukpete said...

Rich B said...

What's s lemons race?

Lemons

The $500 max car cost includes preparation costs, so the RX7 would be a bit over...

only by the $13k or so he's spent. What a daft statement he raised...

--

Cheers

Rich

zedleg said...

Yeah I saw that thing about the GT academy guys. It seems like a catch 22 situation. They are looking at going into other series to get more race experience though.

The bit that makes me laugh is that Stephane Ratel is quite happy to admit that he needs slow drivers with a background in Goldmann Sachs to race in the GT series with his Professionals
- Not young fast drivers who have learnt the circuits thru games and are as fast as the professional racers as that would be unfair.:D

--

Whiskey is my yoga

I hate it. If it looked like crap and didn't have all the stupid, forced quirky details, it'd be awesome but it just tries too hard to be any good.

--

She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro.

It would have been fun if it'd be cheap - here it's a car looking like sh!t and costing money that could probably buy a good used Corvette in the US, so I'm definitely not impressed.
If the goal is to have a (relatively) expensive PoS, it would be simpler to take a decent car and then ruin its exterior condition - but I still would not get it.

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

It looks fucking atrocious and it seems to have cost a fair bit to build as well. It sounds good, but that's as much of a compliment as saying a fat, ugly, hepatitis ridden crack whore has nice eyes.

--

Stolen Orions on fire off the hard shoulder of the M8. I watched neds litter in the dark near the Tennents shop. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

Rich B said...

ukpete said...

Rich B said...

What's s lemons race?

Lemons

only by the $13k or so he's spent. What a daft statement he raised...

It's $500 for the car - safety equipment doesn't count, and that includes breaks, tyres, fuel tank etc.

pilouil said...

It would have been fun if it'd be cheap - here it's a car looking like sh!t and costing money that could probably buy a good used Corvette in the US, so I'm definitely not impressed.
If the goal is to have a (relatively) expensive PoS, it would be simpler to take a decent car and then ruin its exterior condition - but I still would not get it.

I'd be amazed if you could get something as fast as that Mazda for $13k. Also he's learning about how the car goes together as he goes. He's built a car that is completely his and I respect that. Don't like the stupid stickers and stuff but it's his car.

Bit more info and a link to a build thread

--

I'd like to know what the naysayers built when they were 19 :p ;).

When you're that age, you have a particular out-look on life which only changes with age - I personally have nothing but respect for the guy (even though I agree about the stickers LOL), he's worked his butt off and built something that is basically a home for a lairy engine (which is where all the money went).

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

Despite not liking them the stupid stuff like the interior and the wooden splitter thing fits with the Rat Rod ethos. To me it even manages to come off as less contrived than a lot of rat rods. Mostly because it actually works as you would expect a car that weighs about a tonne with a fucktonne of power to work.

--

pilouil said...

Nail on the head! To anyone who likes the car, I'd be happy to carry out the mods to yours (with a sledgehammer and some sand paper) for a nominal fee...

I thought the car was kinda cool, if it really was a "No F***s given" car, but he's put far more money and time and care into his car than most. So it's just an expensive, ugly, home garage job that can't handle.

Mike Rainbird said...

I'd like to know what the naysayers built when they were 19 :p ;).

When you're that age, you have a particular out-look on life which only changes with age - I personally have nothing but respect for the guy (even though I agree about the stickers LOL), he's worked his butt off and built something that is basically a home for a lairy engine (which is where all the money went).

I built a 1430cc Mini complete with satin black paint waaaaay before it was popular. It had lovely and rare 10" Alcan alloys wheels and would probably be described as rat look these days. But it wasn't a contrived look, I was just poor.

The externally (and bare) mounted gauges, wooden splitter etc. are just an affectation and offend me as much as stupid big glasses with no lenses in them and carrot-cut jeans.

--

She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro.

Not what I would have done, but I wish I'd had a 5.0 v8 "whatever" at 19. Obviously insurance is different out there.... :?

At this age my car wasn't any better condition (I could have used a postal MOT service) and I was like this : (i.e. majorly skinto - as opposed to a man with a silly hat)

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular