Forums > General > Has anyone got rid of their landline?

HAS ANYONE GOT RID OF THEIR LANDLINE?
Previous | 1 | Next

Today was the third visit for Virgin Media to try to fix my landline. They couldn't gain access to some cabinet in the building so will be back a fourth time.

I use them for TV (basic channels only, hardly gets watched), phone (hardly ever used) and internet (used heavily).

I could tell them to sack off their attempts to fix the line, drop the TV part too (strong freeview area) and just get internet for £22 a month, rather than the £44 that my bundle has gone up to.

Any downsides? Anything these days that still requires or expects a landline number to be present?

Until yesterday we only had the landline because it made the TV+Internet bundle cheaper.

Now it also allows the house alarm to dial out.

--

DeskJockey
---
Now fueled by heavy oil...

I dont get cable, so have to have a landline for Internet.

Only ever use the landline for phoning the old man (local rate, natch) and the fibre/internet connection.

If I could get rid of the landline phone, I'd be tempted, but it's handy to have a fixed line when (and it is when) you forget to charge your mobile and need to make a call IME.

Good luck with taking the phone line out of your package and expecting it to get cheaper :lol: TBH, my landline phone died when I was flooded last year and I've not replaced it nor plugged anything into the Virgin phone socket since. I have missed it so little that I had forgotten I still have a phone connection until I read this thread.

I believe we've got a landline, but I've never plugged a phone in to it. I assume all you get is promo calls on landlines these days anyway.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Yes, dumped ours when we moved. Not missed it at all. We use Skype to talk to the folks in the UK, they text then I call back at 2 cents a minute, which is a little more reasonable than the 80 cents a minute the dinosaur phone company charged :roll: Obviously we used Skype before we moved, too, but we've not had any issues without it.

I could live without it, only use Skype, FaceTime and whatsapp

My iPhone is on £10pm with a £1 gig add on, use maybe £1 of calls

--

WIBBLE

I've never plugged a phone into mine, but it was cheaper to have it and not use it than not have it (virgin).

--

Cheers

Rich

Jobbo said...

Good luck with taking the phone line out of your package and expecting it to get cheaper :lol:

Yeah, just taking the phone out gives almost no discount. I can live without the TV though; I tried plugging in a tiny portable aerial from an old USB TV card and got perfect Freeview reception, so I really don't need that from Virgin either. Only have "M" TV, which seems to be about what Freeview has anyway.

This shows 30MB without phoneline at £22.50 a month after the initial promo, so going to that from my current package effectively halves my bill.

When we moved into our house originally we kept the previous owners' phone number and used to get loads of sales calls every day for them. Then, when we moved back from Amsterdam and had everything reinstalled, we opted to have a new number, thinking this would stop the endless stream of shite. Now we get loads of calls for someone who obviously owed a lot of money to a lot of people, hence now we don't use the landline at all.

--

What's the difference between a BMW and a hedgehog?

Current flat I'm at would have cost less to go for the landline option as well as cable internet...

Thankfully parents have BT internet and Sky so BT Openzone and Sky On Demand it is 8)

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

0845 etc numbers. Some of those numbers are hideously expensive on a mobile.

--

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on.

IaFG Supercharged Muppet Division

I still have a land line. The oldies don't even recognise their mobile phone ring tones so getting rid of the traditional dog and bone would be a night mare - the eldest ones are genuinely scared of ringing mobiles :lol:

unzippy said...

http://www.saynoto0870.com/ ;)

Updated February 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM

simongardner said...

unzippy said...

Yes to Balmer, partial yes to Simon as not every company makes their geographical numbers known.

Depends how often you dial 08 numbers really.

It's not just 0845/0870 either - I know there was talk about abolishing this, but carriers used to charge anything up to 40p/min to 0800 numbers....

Rich B said...

I've never plugged a phone into mine, but it was cheaper to have it and not use it than not have it (virgin).

Ditto. I tried not to have it but the package was cheaper with it. I argued that it leaves them another service for them to increase the price on whenever it suits them but they weren't having it.

Only signed a 1 year deal, so i can get it cheaper by threatening to leave when the deal's up.

simongardner said...

unzippy said...

I'm always on that site. It's saved me a fortune!

If it wasn't for the ADSL needing the phone line id bin it. Nobody ever phones for me on it - they phone the mobile.

--

Strong Broo Racing

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular