Forums > General > Porsche 924's

PORSCHE 924'S
Previous | 123 | Next

Are they really that bad?
I've seen one for sale on the way home today at a ridiculously cheap price (or so i thought) so i set about the internet for information (924 2.0 Lux 1985 i think? b reg)

I had a quick look on auto trader and found it wasn't cheap at all!
Why are the all so cheap?
Anyone had one?

Can get a decent one for less than 1500 quid by the look of it!

Updated February 10, 2013 at 2:53 PM

16vcento said...

Are they really that bad?

No, they're just not all that good.

Mostly due to the DKW engine the non S 924's used the 924S got the same engine as a 944.

Handling wise the 924 is pretty competent and they look great to in my opinion.

Cheers

Steve

It is a superb looking car for the money.
The 2.0 is an Audi engine by the look of things from an Audi 100?
Should be very simple to fix should it go wrong and the insurance is a quarter of what i would be paying for the MX5's i have been looking at.

I saw a Guards Red Turbo a few months ago in immaculate condition and I have to see it looked stunning

Cheers

Steve

Im very tempted by this one clicky

After a bit of a spruce up that would look great

Cheers

Steve

Personally, I'd be on the lookout for a 924S with the 2.5 motor. They're not much more expensive than the 2.0 litre but usefully quicker.

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

NotoriousREV said...

Personally, I'd be on the lookout for a 924S with the 2.5 motor. They're not much more expensive than the 2.0 litre but usefully quicker.

Its the insurance which is steering me to the 2.0.
£220 compared to £850+

don't know if you've already had a look round this site but probably worth a read if not.

http://porsche924.co.uk/buyers/

Also send Marv any questions you have as he is very happy with his Mrk3 924

Cheers

steve

_Steveo_ said...

don't know if you've already had a look round this site but probably worth a read if not.

Cheers

steve

I tried signing up to have a look on the forums but i've not had my confirmation back yet :(

_Steveo_ said...

Cheers

steve

And of course Lord M has 2.

I can't think of a better car 500 notes.

I have a mate who's dad has had 5+ over the last 20 yrs and he really rates them despite having lots of very interesting stuff.

He likens them to a more roomier/refined lotus elan, which he also owns. Despite the lack of power they can be hustled along.

Parts are dirt cheap and they are easy to work on too.

Really want one now and i'm supposed to be saving money!
It didn't help reading all the reviews
from years ago here! Click

Updated February 10, 2013 at 4:43 PM

carlos said...

Parts are dirt cheap and they are easy to work on too.

Porsche parts weren't over the top when I first bought my 968 eight years ago. They've crept up over the last few years and there's certain parts which have gone up four or five times in price :shock:

Not sure if this is because VW have taken over, or Porsche don't want people owning old ones anymore :?

Wonder if the 924 has been immune to this?

Anyway, from everything I've read, the 924 is a brilliant, under-rated sportscar. I've seen several on trackdays and the owners always seem to be having alot of fun. Not very powerful but they have a purity which the later 944s and 968s slightly lack.

Updated February 10, 2013 at 7:03 PM

--

ShonkySpeedHoleSpeciale

I find 924s very tempting. Probably not a great performance car, but the benefit of that is not unreasonable insurance money for us young ones! There's a guy on PH who got one as a first car aged 21 and seemed to like it. I'm 21 this year... come to think of it his car's for sale...:D

--

Entirely pointless

I've no idea why I waited until I was 25 before getting my 968. Should have bought a 924 or 944 years before that!

--

ShonkySpeedHoleSpeciale

There's a 924 Turbot going for £1600 in Scarbados but it looks like it wants a few hundred quid of work to make it a daily hack (suspension and electrics).

No, I'm not buying it. Even if it is the right colour....nnnnggg :lol:

From what I have read the turbo is the one to avoid due to reliability/running costs, the s is the most modern feeling and the na is the most pure.
On the hunt now 8)

16vcento said...

On the hunt now 8)

8)

--

ShonkySpeedHoleSpeciale

Previous | 123 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular