Forums > General > It's MOT time! Guess the damage!

IT'S MOT TIME! GUESS THE DAMAGE!
Previous | 123 | Next

So then kids, it's time for my 'run on a shoestring performance car' MOT.

Last year it was a whopping £600+ thanks to a shonky incompetent garage.

This year it's in with My Good Friend Johnny May, whose band I have ferried around in times of vehicular need, and who is a very good friend of a very good friend.

I'm expecting the front suspension needs working on and the ABS sensors tweeked/possibly replaced to pass as the ABS/TC light is on, which I'm aware of. These are the only known problems. Anyone care to guess the damage, strictly to pass the MOT?

I say that as I really need a thermostat change, which may not be required for the MOT (he has a full tank of gas and instructions to thrash it if necessary), and I want him to evaluate the suspension as I think the dampers are all a little soft - a full swap over for OEM-equiv or Koni Yellows is a possibility depending on how flush I feel.

250 pounds cash

Cheers

Steve

Beany said...

performance car

lol

£187.00 + VAT

Beany said...

So then kids, it's time for my 'run on a shoestring slightly sporty shopping car' MOT.

Fixed that for you. Yes, I'm in a cunty mood.

--

What's the difference between a BMW and a hedgehog?

I reckon it's all fucked, like mine

Uneconomical to repair ;)

Hmm, you're making it sound like you're prepared for a big spend, but if it went straight through the mot would you renew the dampers etc anyway or just leave it for another year?

I'm guessing it's either £0 or £value of the car.

--

Waiting to die.

NotoriousREV said...

Well I've learnt something new today.

--

Waiting to die.

Evostick said...

Beany said...

performance car

lol

This!

nuttinnew said...

NotoriousREV said...

Really?

--

All I know is Beany, it better be an interesting MOT result to make it thread-worthy....

NotoriousREV said...

nuttinnew said...

NotoriousREV said...

Really?

Aye, that you have a non-cunty mood ;)

--

Waiting to die.

£156.66

nuttinnew said...

NotoriousREV said...

nuttinnew said...

NotoriousREV said...

Really?

:lol:

£300

Or about £30 worth of bits to fix it yourself.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

nuttinnew said...

NotoriousREV said...

nuttinnew said...

NotoriousREV said...

Really?

--

Anything more than a new bulb, do everyone a favour and scrap it.

Hope it passes so you can keep enjoying it for what it is :)

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

Marv said...

All I know is Beany, it better be an interesting MOT result to make it thread-worthy....

There are definitely some bits that need attention, that may or may not be MOT related, depending on what The Lovely Mr May has to say. And he is lovely.

Nuttinnew - if it goes through at, say, a couple of hundred quid (it's not going to pass, I've accepted...), then as I've psychologically budgeted for last years MOT (£600+ by incompetent shysters that I couldn't sue for professionial reasons :evil: ) then a new set of OEM-spec or better dampers (Koni Yelllows?) or perhaps a catback zorst may be on the cards. Just to make me feel better :D

Edit for MattCambs and presumably others - it's such a good allround car (performance jibes aside) that I'd gladly spend a few hundred quid to keep it on the road, TBH.

otherwise, Mr May has a Polo going for £400 that I could use :D

Updated February 9, 2013 at 9:33 PM

8) New dampers etc will refreshen it no end, hopefully then it'll only fail on things you are expecting or happy to spend money on anyway.

Rev; that's alright, I laugh myself sometimes...ain't a whole lot else you can do :(

--

Waiting to die.

Any update? (I was only joking about scrapping it)

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

Previous | 123 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular