Forums > Moaning forum > Basic customer service

BASIC CUSTOMER SERVICE
Previous | 1 | Next

Why are so many companies lacking this?

McDonalds drive through the other night, wrong order given and no apology offered. I then had to return for the receipt as the manager said you usually have to ask for it. No you do not. Again, no apology.

Carcraft - I'm lost for words. Possibly the worst service I've ever experienced.

Our local car garage - I've already moaned about them.

Fones4u - like Carcraft, the sales people are clearly heavily motivated by commission and their desperation for a sale is very off putting.. "Just looking" is something they don't want to accept.

British Gas - £5000 bill for a house that's been empty for 10 years. After being accused of lying they also never called back when they said they would. They then reduced it to £1800 before finally conceding that no one lives there and removed all charges..

It seems to me no company above medium size understands service in this age. My mortgage co (before it was paid off) Standard Life were the exception, but they've now been swallowed by Barclays, so that won't stay so for long.

I could write an essay on this one but shall not. Worst offenders I've known: BT, Orange, First Direct (don't believe the hype) British Gas, Santandare, and this week First Utility sending me a warning of all sorts (court, pre-pay meter, access to my house) after THEY repeatedly failed to call me back as requested to set up a payment plan.

Keep a dedicated notebook to hand to log all particulars of dealings with such idiots is the best preventative measure.

--

www.leatherbetter.co.uk
Make imperfect leather brand new again.

Talking of customer service, I sent another couple of people your way al! You guys don't do new drivers do you?

--

Cheers

Rich

Rich B said...

Talking of customer service, I sent another couple of people your way al! You guys don't do new drivers do you?

Sadly not mate :( got to have a Full UK for over 2 years

I recently got a debt collection letter about an upaid Gas bill from the rental I vacated in Nov last year - despite signing up with BG in the new place and giving them my existing address/details at the time they simply did not connect the two accounts and make the obvious decision to send the final bill to the new address/account they had just set up. No, they simply sent it to the old address where the new renter never bothered to pass on any mail to the agent as requested, and when it wasn't paid they did no research at all and passed it straight to the debtors agency. Staggering waste of time and money for what accounts to simple bad management on their part IMO. If an existing customer is willingly GIVING you his new address and signing his new address up to your service, perhaps its sensible to link the two accounts?! :roll:

Alex88 said...

Rich B said...

Sadly not mate :( got to have a Full UK for over 2 years

cool, I thought that wasthe case from a previous discussion...

--

Cheers

Rich

I'm about to nail the estate agent who my landlord uses. My tenancy ends at the end of March. I said on Monday that I'm not renewing it, she got so fvcking pissed, literally said in a rude tone 'okay, goodbye, we will arrange viewings then.' :lol:

Rudest b1tch I've ever seen. She keeps calling me every few hours to arrange a viewing, and she thinks I'm the estate agent FFS, 'I've arranged the viewers to meet you at your flat at 2pm tomorrow.'

I keep telling her that I'm at uni 8am-6pm everyday and back at home at the weekend. If she wants to show someone the flat, she can do it her fvcking self!

I've also asked her to tell me in advance if someone is coming so I can at scrub the skid marks of the pan and clean up a bit and if I don't answer the phone she will ring it 10 times in a row before leaving a voicemail :lol:

Mental.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Customer Service - sadly people working in such roles are usually on the lowest of low salaries. As the saying goes, pay peanuts, get monkeys.

Also, the person on the phone doesn't give a shit about your problem. It (probably) wasn't their fault, and they are probably sick of offering empty apologies for the mistakes of a poorly managed company.

Does some teenasger saying 'sorry', make it all better for you? I hope not.

RichardMajor86 said...

Customer Service - sadly people working in such roles are usually on the lowest of low salaries. As the saying goes, pay peanuts, get monkeys.

Also, the person on the phone doesn't give a shit about your problem. It (probably) wasn't their fault, and they are probably sick of offering empty apologies for the mistakes of a poorly managed company.

Does some teenasger saying 'sorry', make it all better for you? I hope not.

I get where you're coming from but they're in a customer service role for a reason. If the amount they are paid means they can't provide an even average service then that isn't my problem at all. Their wage means nothing to me or any customer. And I'm sure no one will take their potentially low wage into consideration if they complain..

A 'sorry' wouldn't make it all better, no. But a 'very sorry for the inconvenience, sir' and a smile instead would do. It's not a hard thing to do.

That reason is normally that the jobs are plentiful, don't need much in the way of experience or qualifications. I suspect that very few people that work in customer service roles see it as a vocation.

--

Jobbo said...

Rev is correct, of course

Any company that needs a department to give 'customer service' won't give you anything of the sort. It should be each and every employees objective to treat their customers like the bread and butter that they are.
I constantly get pis5ed of with being told 'you need to speak with...' when I have issue with something. Fragmented bullsh1t left hand doesn't know what the right is doing approach to caring for customers.
If my company ever gets this big I shall NEVER have a 'customer service department' (or phone menus - 'press 16 if you want to lose the will to live...')

--

www.leatherbetter.co.uk
Make imperfect leather brand new again.

I avoid dealing with these companies where ever possible. There are good ones;

Aviva
Be
First direct
Nationwide

You would think that given it generally has a direct impact on sales they would all be shvt hot. :roll:

I have bad experience with a bank beginning with A Spanish S and a broadband supplier that I forget the name of. They would give talk talk a run for their money.

Robby1977 said...

Any company that needs a department to give 'customer service' won't give you anything of the sort. It should be each and every employees objective to treat their customers like the bread and butter that they are.

This.

One of the resellers I deal with a lot (Solwise - for all your wifi, and a substantial chunk of your non-standard networking needs) have their main network tech on the sales lines, because he can pretty much read your mind on what you need, spec you the bits, and get it in the post for you within ten minutes. He's a lovely bloke, too.

Really spanking service from them, every time.

On the other hand, Supplier B, a competitor, recently told me that they had a 'rebranded, but technically the same underneath' (IE VW golf Vs Seat Leon) piece of hardware available for immediate dispatch, when Solwise were having stocking problems. I had no time to check the tech bits at the time (hence referring to thier technical sales), but took them at their word.

Ah, wait, this is completely different (more like Golf Vs Veyron cmpared to what Solwise supply, which is the Veyron kit...), and can't even remotely do the job the customer requires.

I asked to return it, and got ISO9001 bullshit. I quoted SOG act based on misrepresentation, got put through to manager, and suddenly the return was OK! :roll:

That's the difference between a good, and bad company. A good company won't recommend something that won't do the job, or if they don't have it at that time, will recommend it with caveats. No shame there. Solwise are good, nay excellent, for this.

A bad company will do anything to try to get sales leads and deal with the sh1tstorm afterwards. Supplier B are good for this :roll:

TBF though, supplier B have decent stock of a lot of interesting kit (just not stuff at the spec I needed), so if I have time to check the specs, I'll be using them again - can't argue with their delivery times - but I won't expect/trust them to do a tech spec for me. Fact. They are now our second tier supplier for 'weirdy beardy' network gear.

If I get the time to do a tech spec, however, and the prices are comparable, I'll call Solwise first, and if they can't sell me something suitable, I'll be on the phone to Supplier B, but only after I have checked everything by hand myself.

On the flip side to this, I've just experienced some fantastic customer service from demon tweaks.
The guy I spoke to was very helpful. He had to call AP racing to find out if they had my disks in stock, promised to call back shortly, and did! And found out what pads would fit too.

Best customer service I've experienced in years.

It's sad that good customer service is the exception rather than the rule.

My worse experience was British Gas. 11 months to fix a central heating fault. It took many bitingly sarcastic letters and phone calls to get any kind of recompense. Cunts then tried to condemn my perfectly working boiler - hole in the outer casing (which wasn't air tight by design anyway). :roll: I will never, ever deal with that shower of shit ever again.

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

I generally avoid human contact when I go for groceries or other stuff as much as possible. Hence online shopping and self checkouts WTF.

But what I've realised in the US is that staff at checkouts are very slow (compared to the UK). They tend to throw items and take forever to pack. And without sounding like a racist, if the person is black, the attitude is really bad. I've lost count how many times that they've argued with customers when they were wrong. Luckily, I avoid conflict and keep my head down.

However, the railway conductors are fecking awesome and are seriously helpful :lol:.

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular