Forums > Moaning forum > BMW E61 tyres

BMW E61 TYRES
Previous | 1 | Next

I've not had much luck with the wheels and tyres on either of my 545i Tourings. The first one was always a little vibratory on the motorway until the garage spotted that two of the wheels were cracked, so they never balanced properly and gradually lost pressure. These cars are very sensitive to the pressure being wrong which doesn't help; not only does it upset the suspension but it seems that it messes up the wheel speed sensors and steering angle sensor and confuses the ESP.

By the time I sold the last one I'd had a full set of tyres, a set of new wheels (used the best two to replace the cracked rims, threw away the cracked ones and sold the remaining two) and it drove smoothly. So I was quite pleased that the second 545 drove smoothly at first (on a combo of two Dunlop run-flats, a Goodyear run-flat and a Falken normal tyre; I didn't mess with this until they wore out because it felt fine).

Ever since the complete new set of tyres was fitted last September, two have gradually been losing pressure. So gradual I couldn't get the bead to produce any bubbles when covered in Fairy Liquid, but enough to need topping up 4-5psi every week. Since the car's so sensitive to pressure I didn't even trigger the TPMS warning before knowing I needed to top up so this wasn't too annoying.

But it did need fixing so I bought a set of decent wheels (which happened to come with one pair of good Dunlop run-flats on, pleasing) and on Monday I went to a tyre place to get the wheels swapped over for the decent ones with less corroded edges. I noticed that one of the other tyres was low on pressure - irritating, obviously a puncture. So I had that fixed at the same time.

During this week I've noticed the handling and stability was a bit wayward, which I thought was because the tracking was out. Then this morning the steering was quite heavy turning left, I thought a wheel bearing was failing due to the grumbling, and after a mile or so the TPMS warning came on; I guessed the previously punctured tyre was not repaired properly. And when I stopped to top it up, the pressure was really quite low (surprised the TPMS didn't trigger sooner, to be honest).

Felt fine back at normal pressure but I've got yet another puncture to fix. Why do I have such rotten luck chasing tyre problems on E61s?

Fit inner tubes. ;)

I overhead the tyre place (who failed to fix the puncture) telling someone on the phone they couldn't fit inner tubes now. Sounded like they would like to do so :lol:

TBH I'd have been better off doing a string repair myself.

Make sure they use a bit of bead sealant when they refit the tyre.

--

Strong Broo Racing

Shouldve paid more than a tenner to get them fitted proper ;)

One of the reasons I refuse to put expensive tyres on mine is the common ruining of the rears due to the standard camber.

In other news the tax is now 270 a year. Daylight robbery

SimonB said...

One of the reasons I refuse to put expensive tyres on mine is the common ruining of the rears due to the standard camber.

Our 750 wore the inner edges at a stupid rate and barely touched the outer at all.

Seems to be a BMW trait, I remember asking my dad in the 70s/80s why the rear wheels of the BMW in front of were leaning in so much at the top.

--

Impreza WRX STi Spec-C V-Limited Toshi Arai Edition/ GTR/ Panda 100HP Pandamonium/ 316d

SimonB said...

Shouldve paid more than a tenner to get them fitted proper ;)

In other news the tax is now 270 a year. Daylight robbery

This set was bought from and fitted by Event Tyres, I'll have you know. I didn't order cheap ones from the internet then pay through the nose for fitting like you :lol:

As I mentioned previously, the rear tyres are wearing fine; not noticeably more on the inner side than the outer. Just as they did on all of my other BMWs. KDS alignment for the win.

Updated February 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Your car shouldn't be wearing the tyres out unevenly.

Jobbo - stop being such a tight arse.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Certain tyres in my set of Avus 1s used to lose about 4-5psi a week. It was mainly because of corrosion where the tyre bead sits and a bit of corrosion around the valves.

This was solved by having all four wheels powedercoated and new tyres fitted (tyres needed replacing anyway)

The tyres haven't lost any pressure since November.

Same with my 968 wheels - since having them powdercoated, they barely lose tyre pressure either.

Jobbo said...

on a combo of two Dunlop run-flats, a Goodyear run-flat and a Falken normal tyre

:shock:

Paging Lynn Faulds-Wood.

--

Tim

M135i 8 Speed Auto. Alpine White. Faster than Yu.

Mito Man said...

Your car shouldn't be wearing the tyres out unevenly.

Jobbo - stop being such a tight arse.

Buy a real car.

HTH.

Jobbo, I had my BMW geo set up after I bought it and ditched the run flats. I was chatting to the bloke who does the setup and he reckoned most BMW's carry one person 95% of the time and even when there are more occupants it's rarely with people and luggage in the boot so setting the Geo to the most common usage would get the tyres to last. My rears have worn much more evenly since but they're still not perfect.

BMW's fault for fitting SLA on the rear, mcphersons on the front and making the distance between the two a bit big :D

Sorry, how does moaning about punctures turn into being a tight arse and wearing my tyres out quickly? It's Broccers who is the tight arse who has wear problems :lol:

Jobbo said...

It's Broccers who is the tight arse who has wear problems :lol:

:shock:

--

How about not having a sig at all?

So Beemers have tyre problems and indicator problems and expensive gearbox problems. That will be the teutonic build quality then?

Should chop the back end apart and fix the geometry problems.

I'll get my big saw.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

I don't think there's anything innately wrong with E60s when it comes to wheels, tyres and suspension; I've just been unlucky with punctures and pot holes.

Of course, compared to a Saab it actually handles well so it's possible to feel when the tyre pressure is low ;)

...And the problem is: a crack in the alloy. FFS. Good job I've bought a new set, really.

Mark BT52 said...

SimonB said...

Our 750 wore the inner edges at a stupid rate and barely touched the outer at all.

Seems to be a BMW trait, I remember asking my dad in the 70s/80s why the rear wheels of the BMW in front of were leaning in so much at the top.

Defintely a BMW trait, but not exclusively limited to them it would seem. I had the Abarth's geo checked a couple of weeks ago as the inner edges of the front tyres are wearing. My Tuna confirmed that all was near enough.at factory settings and thus this wear is normal. He added that it's quite common for BMWs and all manner of other cars to display the same trait due to how their geo has been designed.

Im a proper cheapskate with this car that is very true.

8)

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular