Forums > General > Who's good for broadband?

WHO'S GOOD FOR BROADBAND?
Previous | 12 | Next

Currently with Virgin, prices going up constantly and very unreliable. Who do you use?

Sky and they've been fine for my modest usage. Need to upgrade to FTTC though and torn between Sky & BT. I think BT is marginally cheaper.

--

It's not a Golf | Neither is this | This one's just a posh Beetle

I've used BT for years and not had a single problem. Great service IME

--

This ^

I'm using BT Infinity and have no complaints TBH. Never had any drop off in performance, whereas Virgin was always going wrong when I had. Although when I had Sky broadband that didn't see to go wrong much either.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Zen - not cheap but never goes wrong and great customer care (when I bought a new Router, they helped out with a problem I had with it. not in their remit but they helped all the same)

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

We had BT at our old home and it was perfect. Now have Sky and it's terrible, I think we're in the area affected by crap speeds since they've been selling a load of the sky boxes in London with the anytime feature so the broadband gets so bogged down at the weekend.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Zonda_ said...

Currently with Virgin, prices going up constantly and very unreliable. Who do you use?

Fibre Optic Cabled?

Updated February 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Virgin is cable, can't get their fibre optic here.

IDnet. Quality costs.

Be broadband. Pretty cheap but fast and reliable.

Diesel Taxi said...

Be broadband. Pretty cheap but fast and reliable.

Sky are reputed to be looking at buying them, last I heard, as they have run out of backhaul on their own service.

Expect Bes service to go through the floor in three, two, one, as their backhaul is filled with Sky customers.

I've been with Be for a while now, been ok service wise, reliable uptime too. This Sky news doesn't fill me with joy mind.

Be is owned by O2: i'd be surprised if they sold to Sky. I'm with O2 and have never had any problems... Mind you, that might be because their router station is next to my house! Be was the same connection rate, but slightly more expensive- I'm on 20Mbps for £13. 8)

--

Cheers,

Ian

Beany said...

IDnet. Quality costs.

What Beanster said. Faultless. Been with them probably about 7-8yrs now.

Just noticed my Virgin connection speed has been doubled at last. Now on 60Mbps; Speedtest.net gave 61.42Mbps so that's pretty good :D

The only problems I've had with Virgin in 4 years have been a couple of days with dodgy connection last year while they were upgrading things.

Jobbo said...

Just noticed my Virgin connection speed has been doubled at last. Now on 60Mbps; Speedtest.net gave 61.42Mbps so that's pretty good :D

The only problems I've had with Virgin in 4 years have been a couple of days with dodgy connection last year while they were upgrading things.

What sort of speed do you get if you torrent something?

You know, something not cached on Virgins CDN/edge cache servers...

Dodgy connection from day 1 and still the price goes up.

Beany said...

Jobbo said...

What sort of speed do you get if you torrent something?

You know, something not cached on Virgins CDN/edge cache servers...

6MB per second or more, now. Need to be running concurrent torrents to reach that since the upload speed at the other end isn't good enough.

That's not so bad. My mate on Virgin in Kent gets massive throttling and contention issues...

I'm a bit lucky getting Virgin - my village is on the edge of an old Telewest cable area so contention isn't an enormous issue (since there aren't many people in the village) but the connection speed is as good as in a bigger town.

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular