Forums > Ask evo > How to rent a fun car in Britain?

HOW TO RENT A FUN CAR IN BRITAIN?
Previous | 1 | Next

I'm an American traveling to Britain this May for the first time. I've been an avid EVO reader since almost the beginning and have always envied the great roads you have here in the UK. My lady and I would really like to rent something fun for a week to try and retrace some of your test routes around Wales/Scotland. The problem is that it seems my choice is either a mundane rental car from the airport (at least they're manual there) or wildly overpriced exotica from specialty prestige rental companies. Are there any other options that I'm not aware of? Ideally I'm thinking of something like a Renaultsport, Mazda MX-5 or the like.

Any help would be appreciated!

Updated February 6, 2013 at 10:14 PM

clio 200?

--

Pain don't hurt

C_Hilly said...

clio 200?

Sure, but what I meant to ask was WHERE to rent something like that for a reasonable price?

Depends how much you want to spend: Caterhams are around £200/day, but if you have a twisty road ANY hire car will be decent. There are no really crappy hire cars in the UK like there are in America with your crappy Chevy Cruzes and the like. I rented an 3cylindered Toyota Aygo to go to Goodwood and it was the most fun I've ever had in a car.

However, there are Fiat 500 Abarths aplenty and even the standard 500 should suffice for driving fun on most roads.

Edit: Google is your friend. Look up "Fiat 500 Abarth hire Scotland" or wherever you are going + car of your choice and see what comes up

Updated February 6, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Old MX5

Caterhams

--

Roadgoing Group A racecar

Dan Webster "Your car actually sounded quite good from up there"

I love those rental caterhams - that is almost what I'm looking for - but the prices are still pretty steep! Maybe it's the conversion rate that's turning me off. Here in the states we have a car-sharing website called RelayRides where you can rent other peoples' cars. The prices are much, much cheaper. Would love to find something like that.

As for the old MX-5, I already have one! I love it to death, but I don't think I'm ready to drop $150/day to use one there. Maybe $75?

There are different car rental companies in UK, you can also hire car from airport as there are also many car rental companies. Once I have hire car from LU car rentals. They have all type of cars and vans and all cars are insured and come with breakdown cover when travelling outside the UK.

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular