Forums > Moaning forum > people & insurance claims

PEOPLE & INSURANCE CLAIMS
Previous | 12 | Next

whilst trying to make it across a blocked roundabout yesterday it appears that I may have scraped the bumper of a 3 series with the arse-end edge of my ifor williams trailer. I wasn't aware of anything until a bloke in a 320d starts trying to flag me down further along the dual carriageway.

Turns out he does have a scratch on his bumper that was probably caused by my trailer. I couldn't see anything due to the angle of the roundabout and certainly wouldn't have felt anything that minor. He's a nice polite guy, I'm apologetic..it's all good..

We exchange cards and I ask to be sent the bill for repair as on inspection he doesn't deem it worthy of an insurance claim...an hour or so later I send him an email just to confirm that I'd like to pay the bill for a repair. I hear nothing back for a few hours and then the inevitable...

'If you don't contact my insurance company on this number before lunchtime tomorrow and admit full liability for this accident then I'll have no choice but to contact the highways agency for cctv footage'

I reply to the effect that I've no desire to deal with his insurance co. directly and as he's chosen to go down that route then here are my policy details.

In saying this apparently I'm now denying all knowledge of the incident and he's also reporting me to the highways agency as I drove over the kebstones on the centre of the roundabout he was blocking..

I have advised him to go ahead.

wtf, how can I admit to something that I wasn't even aware of and have no idea what he's claiming for? Was offering to pay in full as a gesture of goodwill not enough ffs..

How to make a mountain out of a molehill...

Annoying cunt

He'll probably be wanting to put in a claim for whiplash and mental anguish.

--

Chief Wheel and Cake Monkey - Strong Broo Racing

nefarious_ said...

He'll probably be wanting to put in a claim for whiplash and mental anguish.

No doubt his insurers affiliates will encourage him to do so.

There's no honour to be found. We are a failure of a species.

If the front of his car hit your trailer, presumably at the back of yours, then surely he will be liable, particularly if he was illegally blocking a roundabout.

Sounds like a real skid stain of a man. Not least on his choice of cars. :roll:

Notify your insurer then deny it happened; say the scratch could have been there previously and you didn't feel anything. That'll annoy him.

Yeah, say the idiot drove into the back of your trailer whilst he was trying to push through traffic & as a result you need a new winch.

Probable result will be a 50/50, which is a better result for you (than a fault claim) & a pisser of a result for him.

Nice guys finish last Tim.

--

Cheers,

Gwaredd

steelesigns.co.uk

Tim didn't feel anything; it's up to him to prove that Tim caused him damage. The presence of damage isn't proof of anything except the fact that damage exists.

Does he have a witness?

does the offer to pay for repairs not constitute an admission of liability?

--

Out of step with the forum.

NotoriousREV said...

Maybe he just took pity on the chap and decided to pay for the repairs despite them not being anything to do with him...

If I give money to the NSPCC does that make me a paedo? :lol:

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

NotoriousREV said...

I don't think it does. I was careful to use the words without prejudice and clearly stated that it was not an admission of liability and just a gesture of goodwill when making the offer.

Anyway, complete about turn. Chap now says that he's only just read my initial email, has apologised and is taking his 320d to a local bodyshop to get a quote :roll:

If it seems a reasonable cost I'll just cough up. It may well have happened just as he said and I'd be pretty pissed off if I'd watched someone scrape my car and drive off into the sunset. If it doesn't seem reasonable then the insurance co.s can deal with it.

Life is too short for such hassles.

If it is just a bumper scrape should be £100 or less. No doubt bodyshop will quote or full bumper respray.

NotoriousREV said...

Depends how it's worded - sounds very much like Tim did not admit liability. I'd advise anyone to be cagey in these circumstances; you don't want a stupid minor thing which may not even be your fault to turn into a whiplash and hire car claim against you for £10k. Even if your insurers deal with it, it'll increase your premiums.

Surely he should have left room for the trailer and car infront of him to pass clearly? The over hang on a wagon is the same thing but larger, if you drove into an area where the over hang of a trailer is likely to move into then surely it's your fault?

On another note someone was talking earlier about the claim they've made for whiplash when they were a passenger in a car that was hit at less than 5mph. She also admitted she had no pain or ill causes from the incident but would be pushing for £3k.

No, it was his rear bumper. He moved forward enough to let me through. Although the transit made it through the gap easily, he claims the trailer with a narrower width managed to clip his rear corner. I suppose it might have bounced against the middle of the roundabout or something.

He's come back with a quote of £450 inc vat. I've suggested £200 is the most I'd cough up or we use our insurers.

Pictures for damage, £450 can't be far off a new bumper bought in a respreayed. If he argues then do as Jobbo suggested.

Orange Cola said...

Pictures for damage, £450 can't be far off a new bumper bought in a respreayed. If he argues then do as Jobbo suggested.

you've clearly never seen a repair quote for a modern car. A bumper is usually something stupid like £900. It's a proper racket.

--

Cheers

Rich

Why doesn't the bellend get a smart repair done?

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Mito Man said...

Exactly. I have seen the results of a good one and it was £100 odd.

Daddydadbo said...

Mito Man said...

Exactly. I have seen the results of a good one and it was £100 odd.

Linky?

--

Strong Broo Racing

He's agreed to take £200 and forget about it.

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular