Forums > Moaning forum > Poor employers

POOR EMPLOYERS
Previous | 123 | Next

I submitted my request for 3 weeks leave for May, back in the New Year. We need 3 weeks to make the trip to France camping with the kids worthwhile, and my disabled daughter requires more time to settle than most. No problems in previous years so there is clear precedent, and one senior manager has a clear 4-5 weeks off every summer. As usual I will transfer everything I can to my underling guy. In previous years and against the wishes of my family, I've remained 'on-call' for my holidays.

Now I've been called to a meeting to explain how I will 'guarantee' that there will be no problems while I am away, or the request will be denied.

Idiotic employer, but can't seem to get my foot in the door anywhere else. Most frustrating.

When I landed in Heathrow on Saturday having been away for my sister's wedding I had a text and a voicemail from work wondering where I was.

Yesterday the hotel owner left me a VM saying it had caused problems and that was "Not how we do things"

I called back, mentioned I had filled in a holiday request form and mentioned it to her in a meeting two weeks ago, and also mentioned it to the three managers who I regularly see.

She spluttered then said "Oh well that is finished with, must do better next time"

So presumably I should fill in a form then chase them relentlessly despite her saying if I didn't hear back it was fine!

Effing shower of poo!

Book two weeks off and then 'catch' a week long stomach bug after eating a horse burger...

Yep is one option, as is, formally requesting it as unpaid to spend time with family, which they are not legally allowed to refuse. And then they'd owe me a load of dosh for unused holiday allowance :roll:

Well the meeting is in an hour, we'll see what happens.

Jon

Stick it to 'em Jon! Some companies don't half take the piss sometimes.

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

No idea what industry you're in but the reason why you can guarantee nothing will go wrong is because your seniors will be doing their fvcking job properly.

If you were going away when there was a project deadline looming then they can understandably express their concerns. Why don't you ask them how they guarantee the company won't fold when they take their time off? Works both ways.

Orange Cola said...

If you were going away when there was a project deadline looming then they can understandably express their concerns. Why don't you ask them how they guarantee the company won't fold when they take their time off? Works both ways.

GPWM, I'll use that one :lol:

Tell you what, if you can guarantee there'll be no problems while you ARE there, you can come and work for me.

--

She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro.

NotoriousREV said...

Tell you what, if you can guarantee there'll be no problems while you ARE there, you can come and work for me.

I saw him first!

--

Tim

M135i 8 Speed Auto. Alpine White. Faster than Yu.

Holiday reluctantly approved, followed by an hour of me being told that I'm rubbish at my job. By someone who doesn't have a clue what I do. Good, eh?

Just Jon Innit said...

Holiday reluctantly approved, followed by an hour of me being told that I'm rubbish at my job. By someone who doesn't have a clue what I do. Good, eh?

At least with you being rubbish they wont miss you for three weeks though! ;)

There is probably the same bumhole to good guy ratio for bosses as employees and I must admit I have had a couple of super bosses but there do seem to be a lot of bosses who fall into the former camp!

Currently, there is a couple living in the same house as me. His gran mother sadly died last week so he had to return to China for the funeral. His wife (different company) was given the same period off with full pay.

Just as an addendum, it looks like they end of the line for me working here - my heart bleeds :lol: But if there are any jobs going anywhere, give me a shout. I'm an IT do-everything kind of guy, support, development etc.

Cheers,
Jon

Holiday was one of the reasons which helped me start job hunting, they do it to suit them and it can really put stress on family when you can never properly plan anything.

Onwards and upwards, if they act like that then screw them :D

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

Just Jon Innit said...

Just as an addendum, it looks like they end of the line for me working here - my heart bleeds :lol: But if there are any jobs going anywhere, give me a shout. I'm an IT do-everything kind of guy, support, development etc.

Cheers,
Jon

Well that sucks. Where are you based?

--

She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro.

@rse end of nowhere (north lincs) but tbh would be happy just to escape, so stuff like a long commute or renting a room local to a new workplace would not be the end of the world.

Biggest problem is, having stayed far too long in one place (12 years), it's difficult to summon the confidence to get out there and do something new despite knowing full well that I can turn my hand to anything IT based with the right backing. I guess working for somewhere that likes to knock your confidence every 2 minutes is less than ideal.

Jon

Jon are you on linked-in? If you are connect with me and I'll put you in touch with a couple of good recruiters I know.

--

Tim

M135i 8 Speed Auto. Alpine White. Faster than Yu.

Cheers Tim, I'm on there and have sent a request. Appreciate the help.

Jon

Just Jon Innit said...

If you do get a job with someone else, can you leave your current position by masturbating on your managers desk?:lol:

--

Do not act as if thou wert going to live ten thousand years. Death hangs over thee. While thou livest, while it is in thy power, be good.

Tempting isn't it? Apparently it's all about communication, not necessarily getting on with the job and making the company money. Maybe I can scrawl something with my semen?

As far as I can see the only thing I'm rubbish at is office politics, as I tell it straight rather than kiss a$$ with the rest of them.

Sad fact is that the latest technique I've developed makes it possible to bill clients £3k+ a day. I think they believe that if I go, I'll transfer that knowledge to someone else?

Previous | 123 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular