Forums > General > Wireless router recommendations

WIRELESS ROUTER RECOMMENDATIONS
Previous | 1 | Next

Hi,

Presume what is good and what is bad are the same in NZ as the UK, so any of you nerds want to recommend a good router? Flatmate is telling me an Asus RT-N56U is the one to go for...

Will be running up to three PCs, laptop, phones etc and possibly at some point trying to hook up a PC for films etc to get to the TV, but that's down the line.

I haven't bought one since I was in Glasgow, last 3yrs been using some fancy ass Cisco industry standard thing the flatmate has, but moving house soon and need to get my own again.

Help appreciated. :)

--

Innit.

Hello Dave, your flatmate is correct. Currently using the said Asus RT-N56U after much persuasion from the guy at the shop as it is rather pricey, but it has been completely faultless, easy to set up and decent connection at all areas of the house!

Do it!

--

securitycheck said...

I love the way that half the people on here design F1 cars for a living. :roll:

I got me one of these. Has been completely faultless since May last year.

Billion BiPac 7800

Bit pricey but you get what you pay for imo.

Draytek Vigor 2820.

--

Tim

Toyota. Flat Cap. Grey Slacks. Slipons. Slower than everyone.

Apple Extreme

Tim said...

Draytek Vigor 2820.

This, although I'd go for a 2830 for IPv6 goodness.

speedcamera said...

Apple Extreme

Is the only difference between that and an Express the lack of ethernet ports on the back of the Express? I.e. if you already have a gigabit switch can you buy the Express without missing out on anything?

So these aftermarket routers just replace the usual sky, bt, virgin one?

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Generally yes, if you connect to the internet over a phone line. If you're a cable customer you would normally carry on using your normal cable box, and use the new wireless box in addition.

Though not always the case - the apple one for example has no ADSL part, it's just a wifi point.

Won't that give off 2 wireless signals? (One from your own original router and one from the new one?)

Tempted to try one but the one at home has no problems despite having loads of devices connected to it. Although maybe it does have problems but I don't notice since we don't have a fancy router.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

The £50 netgear one I bought from pc world 3 years ago does the job fine..

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

Thank you chaps. Out of interest what are those DrayTek units worth in the UK? Here they are out of stock everywhere and seem to cost the equivalent of about 450 quid. Ergo, too much...

Billion unit not available here, so that Asus thing is looking the nuts currently. :)

--

Innit.

Around £200 depending on exact spec...

They are a bit much for most home use - they're normally used for keeping SMB/SMEs ticking over. Which they're bob on for.

The Asus one is pretty good I hear, so I'd go with that if it's available.

integrale_evo said...

The £50 netgear one I bought from pc world 3 years ago does the job fine..

This

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular