Forums > General > Book recommendations please

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE
Previous | 1 | Next

As part of my NY resolution to suck less*, I want to get into the habit of reading again. Who's read anything good recently?

In terms of what I do and don't like, I don't like pretty much everything - anything by Dan Brown (obviously), anything to do with crime, anything that's set in ancient times, anything that isn't intelligently written. I like sci-fi but nothing too out-there (oxymoron possibly).

Books I remember enjoying - small sample only:

Anything by Tom Robbins
Anything by Neal Stephenson
Anything by Will Self except Butt
Anything by Michael Marshall Smith
Anything by Glen Duncan
Most stuff by Bret Easton Ellis
Gateway by Frederik Pohl - terrifyingly I think this was the last book I read, and I even remember when - 2008 :(

That really doesn't give you much to go on, does it. Basically it has to give my brain a medium-size workout but not be a slog - think Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon for something that's a little too much to be enjoyable.

Basically - if you can buy it in an airport, I probably won't like it.

Off you go.

* proving to be surprisingly difficult unfortunately

Updated February 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM

This is great

I'll start reading Fiction once I've finished all the good true stories :lol:

--

Cheers,
Mike

Have you read any Chuck Palahniuk? He wrote Fight Club and he has the same sort of Caustic sense of humour that Will Self and Brett Easton Ellis have. Survivor and Diary are particular favourites of mines. The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart is brilliant. Also Cormac McCarthy is a great writer.

--

I often drive for a road travel

I have actually, good call - Choke, and it was an excellent read.

Dice Man was OK, but something of a good idea looking for a book to house it.

Updated February 4, 2013 at 10:28 AM

50 Shades of Grey ?? :lol:

Last book I read was 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I really liked it but perhaps won't appeal to everyone.

Reminded me of what a great story teller he is so I'm going to get "It" for the kindle App on my new Tablet.

Updated February 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

Ranulph feinnes book, mad bad and dangerous (I think it's called) is a good read. He's definitely mad.

--

Done.

Palahniuk is one of my favourite writers, I've read everything he's published :).

I'll be keeping an eye on this, I read a lot but I've made a resolution to read 52 books I've never read before this year so I'm always looking for new suggestions.

--

I often drive for a road travel

Last book I read was "Tales of Toyland" Enid Blyton.

My 4 year old loved it! :) Had to change the names of the golliwogs on the fly though!!! :oops:

Cornelius Ryan "A Bridge too Far" and "All Quiet on the Western Front" are brilliant. Made me laugh and cry and makes you realise we know sod all about sacrifice.

I mostly read Schlock though, I dont want hard facts or brain fade, I read to enjoy.

"This Time of Darkness" was a historical account of the Beagles famous voyage, can't remember who wrote it but was again, a really informative and enjoyable read.

Good luck with not sucking! :shock:

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman its a futuristic war story. Its a story more so about the effects of the war on the soldier rather than about the war itself, Its amazing.

Easily my favourite book and the only ive read more than once.

Wiki

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular