Forums > Gaming forum > PS4/New Xbox/SB - next gen this year!

PS4/NEW XBOX/SB - NEXT GEN THIS YEAR!
Previous | 12 | Next

PS4 details should be coming on Feb 20th.

Looking forward to seeing what they have come up with.

No solid Xbox news per say, but rumours suggest a number of hardware "levels" - cheap media box style and an expensive all the toys in the box version.

Both are going to have to be pretty special to make me veer away from a SteamBox or mega powered gaming PC however.

I don't think I'll be able to ignore the Wii U when the new Zelda and Mario Kart land either...

--

Bunta's Tofu

To me Playstation's USP has only ever been GT. Unless GT6 is a launch title I really can't see why you'd want one.

I'm a big fan of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. The third game was meant to be a PS3 title but looks like it will shift to the new platform.

Uncharted and God of War are also a laugh, but if I had to choose between Nintendo or Sony exclusives, Nintendo wins hands down.

The main thing is Steam however - big picture mode via HDMI really shows up just how far behind the current generation of consoles are (understandable as they are old) - Steam is also as simple as a console, plug in a pad and away you go.

Ok, so the next gen consoles will hopefully be mind blowing but Nvidia and ATI will just go and make them look silly again a few months down the line - this always happens, sure, you have to pay a lot for the top end cards but I'm reaching the point where even xbox live is getting stale - part of that is the time difference as none of the guys I used to play with (clam down Beany) are online at the same time so it is a bit redundant for me.

Anyway! I still can't wait to see what is in store for 2013 - but I dont think I will be buying all the platforms as in previous generations.

Updated February 3, 2013 at 1:21 PM

--

Bunta's Tofu

I'm waiting to see what Valve do with the Steam Box as I like the convenience of a box I can just plug in and it's ready to go.

I am getting more tempted to build a gaming pc though, it's sheer laziness that's stopping me :).

--

I often drive for a road travel

I'm still sceptical on the Steam box. I like the thinking, but I want a few more details on the implementation before I'm a convert.

Sony really need to pull something out of the bag to win over the US/UK markets, as for me there just isn't the games out for the PS3 to make me interested. Will be interested in the new XBox, however.

In all honesty I just don't play my console (360) enough. I prefer PC games for their customisation, mods and scope. I love being able to truely multitask and in all honesty, the PC gaming crowd is just....better than the console one. A game of Battlefield on the PC is night-and-day compared to the consoles.
Heck, on the BF global challenges, the PC hit the teamworking goals twice as fast as the 360 and PS3 combined.

--

ClubLupo

im waiting for the steam box more than the ps4. a touch screen on the controller, whats the point? just makes the already ridiculously overpriced, and xbox inferior controller even more expensive.

it'll take me at least a year to buy and play through all the ps3 games ive wanted but either couldnt be arsed to buy or cost too much at the time. im yet to have played uncharted and will work my way through the rest of the assassins creed series.

i havent got the money for a gaming pc (not that theyre expensive just that im skint) so the steam box is what im waiting for. some of the best pc games are the ones us console gamers miss out on. cant wait :D

Updated February 3, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Bunta said...

The main thing is Steam however - big picture mode via HDMI really shows up just how far behind the current generation of consoles are (understandable as they are old) ... even xbox live is getting stale - part of that is the time difference as none of the guys I used to play with (clam down Beany) are online at the same time so it is a bit redundant for me.

I dusted off the old X360 today and played some more Mass Effect 3 .. man the X360 is starting to look old.. low res textures, low-poly-count objects. But as you say, it's 7+ years old so it's to be expected. So long as the new PS4/Xbox is as good as modern PCs today I'll be happy.

We've discussed it here before, but the first console company that nails day-one-full-price downloads and does a proper steam-clone, ie. all games installed onto HD, no need for discs, and lots of cheap-game-sales will win.

The last time I played my PS3 was for Journey, which was only a 2hr game, before that.. um.. I can't remember. Certainly nothing else in the last 12 months.. If only Ni no Kuni was available for the X360 or PC.. it looks like a great game.

Updated February 3, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I think the specs of the orbis and next gen 360 look great on paper.

I was speaking to a developer mate - he reckons that the orbis specs will blow the MS stuff out of the water and sony have learnt the lesson on the coding of the console.

Also the devices will offer a subscription service. You can download the game ready for launch and everything is stored on teh hard drive. Almost like a JTAG xbox now.

The 3d immersion systems interest me.

--

GiraffeIT.com / Installations / Support / Training
evo featured Renault Megane R26 (c) Barry Club.

I play/buy about 10:1 Xbox: PS3 games, maybe higher.

Will almost certainly not be buying the new PS, despite having owned all three previous consoles. Sony just don't have good enough exclusives and multi-platform games are nearly always better implemented on the Xbox (so I read).

Great Blu Ray player though.

Updated February 5, 2013 at 10:08 AM

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

I've always been a PS person, but a lot of that PS love was derived from the GT series which they've taken in totally the wrong direction.

I'll be thinking seriously about switching to XBox for the next generation. I would still be able to play COD, and Forza is better than GT these days. All the other games are really just a bonus.

I'm sure they'll be another chunk more expensive will they?

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

The rare PS3 experience was always made worse by fecking huge/slow firmware updates I had to download + install prior to playing a new game. Sony had the nerve to make background downloads of firmware a paid-for service.

Updated February 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM

exiges said...

The rare PS3 experience was always made worse by fecking huge/slow firmware updates I had to download + install prior to playing a new game. Sony had the nerve to make background downloads of firmware a paid-for service.

The updates are annoying, and some of the game updates are ridiculously large (I'm thinking GT).

That said, don't you have to pay for XBox live?

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

duncs500 said...

exiges said...

The updates are annoying, and some of the game updates are ridiculously large (I'm thinking GT).

That said, don't you have to pay for XBox live?

I got so sick of the PS3 forced updates last year I bought an XBox 360. A little over the top maybe, but I don't get to play it that much and so each time I turn it on the thing wants to spend 10 minutes downloading and installing updates. The only good thing about the PS3 is that the online services are free. Yes you do have to pay for Xbox Gold, the free version does not allow multiplayer gaming.

What annoyed me on PS3 was that BLOPS 2 had a 30mb update a while back. It took 30 minutes on a 20mb connection. All the updates are painfully slow even if they're small.

I'll buy both new consoles when they come out since its not like they cost too much.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

speedcamera said...

Oh my. That is a lovely piece of design. For reals?

Updated February 8, 2013 at 7:49 PM

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

No - it wont be called the ps4 Isnt that unlucky in the Japanese world ..

--

GiraffeIT.com / Installations / Support / Training
evo featured Renault Megane R26 (c) Barry Club.

David_Yu said...

speedcamera said...

Oh my. That is a lovely piece of design. For reals?

It was on the AV Forums news page. Probably a concept but who knows these days? It's hard to keep things under wraps - see the iPhone 4.

They always produce several weird and wonderful design mock-ups that bare zero resemblance to what actually gets manufactured.

Current rumours also suggest they're dropping the Dualshock controller design for one with a touchscreen.

--

I often drive for a road travel

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular