Forums > General > That Colin McRae documentary...

THAT COLIN MCRAE DOCUMENTARY...
Previous | 12 | Next

I'm just catching up and watching it now and a thought strikes me...

"We" are always lambasting various F1 drivers who are very quick, but who crash a lot, and that's basically what McRae was.

Don't get me wrong, I was as much of a fan of him in the 90s as the next man, but the brutal truth is, he could have been far more successful if he'd known when to back off a little in order to secure a win/championship.

No denying the skill he had, but as the saying says "Two finish first, first you have to finish"

Been under a rock for the last week?

Beany said...

Been under a rock for the last week?

Basically, yes, I have been...

For some reason people forget the actual stats: first ever British WRC champion, 25 wins - Makkinen only managed one fewer win despite 4 championships.

Makkinen also retired 56 times out of 139 starts, McRae 60 times out of 146 starts.

Updated February 2, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Also rally isn't like F1 where the surface is all one perfect predictable material, I'm sure the drivers know their limits. Kimi pretty much crashed every rally race whereas he didn't crash once in F1.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Jobbo said...

For some reason people forget the actual stats: first ever British WRC champion, 25 wins - Makkinen only managed one fewer win despite 4 championships.

Makkinen also retired 56 times out of 139 starts, McRae 60 times out of 146 starts.

McRae did seem to bin his car when it mattered most though!

PugRallye2 said...

No denying the skill he had, but as the saying says "Two finish first, first you have to finish"

That's a new one two me. ;)

--

Entirely pointless

As I said in the other thread, great "driver", not as great a "racer"

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

Dinny_G said...

As I said in the other thread, great "driver", not as great a "racer"

He was a good enough 'racer' to win WDC though.

Once

--

and unfortunately his tendency to crash a lot was also his downfall.

Certainly left his reputation under a very dark cloud

his driving style very much reminds me of nebpors

cheers

steve

Dinny_G said...

Once

The mark of a loser, being crowned the greatest amongst your peers just the one time.

--

She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro.

PugRallye2 said...

Two finish first

This is not how it works. :lol:

JL said...

PugRallye2 said...

Two finish first

Are you good at spelling?

Do you have a strong grasp of grammar?

Then what you need is iOS auto-correct.

You too can look like a complete divvy.

Just like all your friends....

:cry:

PugRallye2 said...

JL said...

PugRallye2 said...

Two finish first

Are you good at spelling?

Do you have a strong grasp of grammar?

Then what you need is iOS auto-correct.

You too can look like a complete divvy.

Just like all your friends....

:cry:

:lol:

Fvck yeah autocorrect is brilliant - for example, as someone who uses the word "mate" in approximately 99% of all text messages, for example, it tenaciously clings on to the belief that what I really mean is "Kate". Thanks. :(

JL said...

Fvck yeah autocorrect is brilliant - for example, as someone who uses the word "mate" in approximately 99% of all text messages, for example, it tenaciously clings on to the belief that what I really mean is "Kate". Thanks. :(

are all your mates called Kate ?

NotoriousREV said...

Dinny_G said...

Once

The mark of a loser, being crowned the greatest amongst your peers just the one time.

Who called him a loser??

I merely said his skills as a driver out did his skills as a racer

--

Dinny_G said...

NotoriousREV said...

Dinny_G said...

Once

Who called him a loser??

I merely said his skills as a driver out did his skills as a racer

And I merely pointed out that your statement was twaddle.

--

She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro.

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular