Forums > General > Over-engineering

OVER-ENGINEERING
Previous | 1 | Next

Hi, Was interesting to read about the Hennessey Venom GT in evo 180, particularly the gearbox capable of taking 'as much as 2000bhp'. What other production cars or components are so hugely over-engineered for the intended use?

Any sugestions?!

The gear train of a Jorg Gray. It is designed to handle an escarpment torque output of 0.005ftlb whereas the Jorg Gray only produces a measly 0.002ftlb.

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

Spoken like a true watch nerd.

--

http://retrotekracing.co.uk

I thought the death of the RB26 engine with the R34 Skyline GT-R would see the death of 1000+bhp GT-Rs, but I was wrong. Tuners are regularly making 1400bhp or more on the standard VR38 block (obviously with uprated rods and pistons) in R35s.

And they are approximately 947.3 times more reliable than 1000hp RB26s.

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

Mito Man said...

The gear train of a Jorg Gray. It is designed to handle an escarpment torque output of 0.005ftlb whereas the Jorg Gray only produces a measly 0.002ftlb.

Escapement?

Yeah, fvcking iphone...

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

99% of 4x4s on the road have two more driven wheels than needed.

Saab 900 took something crazy to make in man hours as it was overengineered, isn't stopping them rusting now sadly.

speake-marin watches. they're also better than jorg-grays. :)

Wasn't the Phaeton tested at 186mph and had to keep a cabin temp of 18 degrees at that speed?

Something suitably ludicrous anyway.

Oh and the W124, W126 era Mercs.

Dave!

--

I came here to drink milk and kick ass..... and i've just finished my milk!!!!

VW Mk2 Golf.

Them & cockroaches will be only things that'll survive any holocaust.

David_Yu said...

I thought the death of the RB26 engine with the R34 Skyline GT-R would see the death of 1000+bhp GT-Rs, but I was wrong. Tuners are regularly making 1400bhp or more on the standard VR38 block (obviously with uprated rods and pistons) in R35s.

With over a litre of extra capacity, that is hardly unexpected....

A STANDARD internalled Cosworth engine - crank, rods, pistons, oil pump (with just flowed ports and suitable sized turbo) can produce 230% of it's OE out put - now THAT is over-engineering :p.

Updated February 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

Mike Rainbird said...

David_Yu said...

With over a litre of extra capacity, that is hardly unexpected....

A STANDARD internalled Cosworth engine - crank, rods, pistons, oil pump (with just flowed ports and suitable sized turbo) can produce 230% of it's OE out put - now THAT is over-engineering :p.

Well when OE output is that puny it makes doubling it easier. :P

Thing is (and I remember writing an article for EVO about it before the R35 was launched) I assumed that with all the talk of "being untunable" that the VR38 would be engineered to be just enough to provide a decent safety margin.

Ironically R35 tuners who have tried bored and stroked versions had issues with the blocks cracking. Most have gone back to the stock block complete with standard plasma lining.

--

Share your car adventures.
www.auto-journals.com

Real life with cars

I remember all the hype about that. At the time I couldn't understand why Nissan wanted to prevent tuning, as the Skyline was an icon BECAUSE of this, not despite it.

--

Nordschleife - there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right!

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular