Forums > General > Tyre Fitters

TYRE FITTERS
Previous | 1 | Next

Am I alone in being quite shocked by this?

Booked car in for 4 tyres changing.
Had told them what the car was and and year.
Got there and was told they were strapped for time.
The 50 quid I had been quoted was wrong.
It was now 65.
I agreed on 60.
They then said as they are runflats it would take a whole hour.
No worries would leave it.
They then discovered I had provided part worns and declined the job.

60 pounds per hour is not enough for a tyre fitter = wtf?

I drive 10 yards away to charlie browns and got it done no fuss for 58 quid.

Anyway - 60 quid an hour is not enough ....????

Shirley you see the risk in part worn runflats that may appear good :D

Dont understand? New runflat is 180 half worn with a puncture repare is 45 fitted - if you ever have the misfortune to have a bmw the rear camber kills the tyres so you would never buy a new one if you knew this.

I've never had any of my BMWs kill the rear tyres unevenly.

£58 is a rip off still. My local place will fit tyres for a tenner a corner.

As per Jobson my tuna fits and will dispose at £10 per tyre so i agree with your cost objection, but my point is can you see if a runflat has been runflat for any period of time and is therefore expired even though it looks good and is carrying tread ?

Updated January 31, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Jobbo said...

Mine was 10 a corner too last time and I'll be in there tomorrow having a pair fitted to the grandis as I'm bored of tripping over them in the garage.

Carl

Runflats cost more to fit, its a fact boys.

Anyway what evs.

It was more the point that tyre fitters think they are worth more than 60 quid an hour that got my goat.

Jobbo said...

You are alone on your e61 then - maybe you should drive it more

SimonB said...

Jobbo said...

You are alone on your e61 then - maybe you should drive it more

10,000 miles in 10 months is pretty reasonable I'd say. Enough to tell if the tyres are wearing unevenly.

It's not just E61s that people have said wear their tyres anyway; it's been said of all BMWs, by people who don't bother getting their alignment done properly.

My bmws have all trashed the inner edges first at the back, although all are excellent on fronts even if regularly pushed hard.

Rear of the e36 has camber set to the minimum possible with standard arms, lowering it will have added some though.

I always intend to get tyres rotated part way through their life, but never remember until they're too low to be worth saving :oops:

Edit to add, I've considered buying a tyre removal machine as its such a ballache carting wheels and tyres around, although my local fitters are very good and will stick any tyre on any wheel and balance it for a tenner.

It does annoy me when before I'd found them you'd turn up and they'd have people sitting around doing nothing but they'll still refuse to make £40 for half an hours work as you've not bought the tyres from them. Surely £40 minus a few pence for a valve and some balance weights is better than £0 :?

Updated February 2, 2013 at 12:11 PM

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

SimonB said...

Runflats cost more to fit, its a fact boys.

WTF are you still running runflats?! Ditch them for some decent tyres and it'll ride a whole heap better! The spare tyre kit from BMW is about £110.

--

Tim

M135i 8 Speed Auto. Alpine White. Faster than Yu.

Jobbo said...

Correct! Since I'm paying a tenner a corner too. In Switzerland!

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular