Forums > General > Are cars too fast??

ARE CARS TOO FAST??
Previous | 12 | Next

I will probably get set down in flames but since driving the latest purchase I am starting to think driving in the UK means you have more fun wringing out an old style hot hatch

Is 200 bhp plenty to keep you entertained??

--

Cheers Ben

Only if it's light.

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

And massive suspension travel to cope with the pot holes.

Should free up some cash for track days when you trade the M135i in for a GT86 ;)

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

Probably, but I think it is the rules/laws that have effectively taken some of the enjoyment out of driving. I have a E34 M5 as a weekend car but you need some space to enjoy it. I have been considering something much smaller/less powerful to get my kicks.

Jimmy Choo said...

Only if it's light.

This.

IIRC we all agreed that 200bhp+ and less than 1000kg is just about the perfect combination.

...and that anything below 200bhp/ton is teh ghey.;)

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

based on my limited experience, I'd say 250bhp, rwd & <1000kg would be enough for sensible fun and a hint of silliness.

ofcourse over here we have roads so long you don't see a corner for hours, so really I think it's more like 600bhp <1800kg

I think we're missing the point here. 200bhp/tonne is exactly the sort of "too fast" he's referring to, non?

--

Cheers

Rich

Depends where you are and how you drive? 200bhp/tonne would be nice!

We need a new measure: power/grip ratio

--

Ben

No.

--

What's the difference between a BMW and a hedgehog?

NotoriousREV said...

No.

This.

The more the merrier.

--

3 - 2 - 1 - Go.................

My 140bhp MX5 is more fun than either of my other, faster, cars. Doesn't stop me planning to supercharge it; it'll still be fun but more fasterer fun.

It's human nature, well it is now, to always to be looking for more.;)

Probably getting back to the old argument I would prefer Torque and Handling to BHP.I personally can't see much point in galactic top speeds. other then when playing Top Trumps.

M135i said...

I will probably get set down in flames but since driving the latest purchase I am starting to think driving in the UK means you have more fun wringing out an old style hot hatch

Is 200 bhp plenty to keep you entertained??

Definitely.
Albeit in a Golf GTI instead of a limp-wristed GT86.

:P

duncs500 said...

Jimmy Choo said...

Only if it's light.

This.

IIRC we all agreed that 200bhp+ and less than 1000kg is just about the perfect combination.

...and that anything below 200bhp/ton is teh ghey.;)

What does the Exige weigh Duncs ? My VX is 930kg and 240bhp so is a little better than prefect :D

--

New Skool Turbo Power

YouTube Channel

It depends on the road and volume / spacing of traffic.
In perfect conditions you can have a blast in just about anything.

ETA however for general road conditions... No.

Updated January 31, 2013 at 12:59 PM

No.

I spent a couple of weeks driving a 140bhp not hatch, and now happy to be back behind the wheel of something with a considerable power to weight advantage and don't seem to have an issue being able to push the accelerator all the way down.

Ok, so you don't sit there at full throttle for as long, but the acceleration is more entertaining than the act of pressing the trottle and waiting for the rev counter to swing around.

--

cheers,

Harry

Too many old sheds.

My 150 bhp Diesel is definitely not too fast.:(

--

Strong Broo Racing

Cars are too fast, the speed limit here is 70mph so why do cars need to go faster than that?

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

Sammyturbo said...

What does the Exige weigh Duncs ? My VX is 930kg and 240bhp so is a little better than prefect :D

8) That's lighter than I thought for the VX. I've never weighed the Exige but it should be about the same. With 218bhp I feel a little under-endowed. I'll have to sort out some upgrades to get us on level pegging... probably a diet for me is as good a place as any to start though.;)

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular