Forums > General > Car prices in Portugal

CAR PRICES IN PORTUGAL
Previous | 12 | Next

I read the article on the 35k pounds GT-R here on evo and that made me wonder..
Why is it that here in Portugal a 2012 GT-R is 110k pounds (€130k). Even with the unreasonable taxes we have, it seems a bit too much..

This occurs with pretty much any car company, although japanese cars seem to be really cheaper in the UK. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

How much is the new Chevrolet Corvette in Portugal.
In Blighty its reckoned to be £50,000
but over in the US of A its only £30,000
If performance cars were that cheap I would have one.
Considering a move to America based on that. mind you by then I wouldn't have the money left for the car. grrr :evil:

--

Procrastination Man will be with you in a minute...

jmdv said...

Why is it that here in Portugal a 2012 GT-R is 110k pounds (€130k). Even with the unreasonable taxes we have, it seems a bit too much..

This occurs with pretty much any car company, although japanese cars seem to be really cheaper in the UK. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Because the 35k GTR is secondhand ;)

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Mito Man said...

jmdv said...

exactly. Beany bought a yellow puma second hand for a grand or so (it needs a new cv joint btw) - they cost way more than £1k new in Portugal.

--

Cheers

Rich

CCC4U said...

How much is the new Chevrolet Corvette in Portugal.
In Blighty its reckoned to be £50,000
but over in the US of A its only £30,000
If performance cars were that cheap I would have one.
Considering a move to America based on that. mind you by then I wouldn't have the money left for the car. grrr :evil:

Can't find prices for the new corvette, but I saw that a camaro in the UK is about £35-40k, in Portugal prices start at £85k.. thats 50k MORE.
And considering that the average monthly income is LESS than £1000 (which is sad) here in Portugal... it really makes me mad

Mito Man said...

jmdv said...

Even so, a used 2009 GTR with 14000 miles costs £80k. It's crazy.. it's almost as cars dont depreciate here.

Updated January 30, 2013 at 5:36 PM

You've got sun, quit whinging! ;)

--

Cheers

Rich

Rich B said...

You've got sun, quit whinging! ;)

We have much more than just sun :D but when you like cars you want to be able to afford something you like. Here you just can't.. unless you get your hands dirty :\

jmdv said...

Even so, a used 2009 GTR with 14000 miles costs £80k. It's crazy.. it's almost as cars dont depreciate here.

You could buy one in whatever EU country with no additional tax (avoiding UK and Ireland if you want to avoid having the steering wheel on the wrong side :P ) - in France the first prices are about €50,000 (about £43,000); for instance.
Prices seem to be similar in Germany (or in Spain, but they seem to be scarcer there then in Germany or France).

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

Guess they need to find some way to drag the country out of the shitter.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

pilouil said...

jmdv said...

You could buy one in whatever EU country with no additional tax (avoiding UK and Ireland if you want to avoid having the steering wheel on the wrong side :P ) - in France the first prices are about €50,000 (about £43,000); for instance.
Prices seem to be similar in Germany (or in Spain, but they seem to be scarcer there then in Germany or France).

Not really, because here we have to pay a tax to legalize foreign cars, even from the EU. It's cheaper it the car is old, has low emissions and low cc. For a GT-R none of that helps.

jmdv, here in Ireland we have to pay VAT on our cars, just like practically every other country. On top of that we also have to pay VRT (vehicle registration tax).

So a brand new car like a GT-R would have the Manufacturer price plus delivery charges X 23% for VAT x 36% for VRT. (VRT varies on the CO2 emissions levels here from 14% to 36%.)

Do Portugal have a similar system?

Many people here buy second hand cars in the UK and have to pay the VRT on them when they bring them into the country. As the VAT was already paid for in an EU counrty that doesn't have to be paid again.

Here in Portugal we pay ISV which translated means "tax over vehicle", IUC which I think is related to emissions and other factors and we pay IVA which is a tax over anything you buy, car or not, doesn't matter.

IUC is paid annually

Grabbing the GT-R example we have:

Base price: €75.599,98 = £64.938,13
ISV: €28.221,16 = £24.241,13
IUC: €733,19 = £629,78
IVA: €23.878,86 = £20.511,23

Final price: €127.700,00 = £109.690,50

Also, cars depreciate a lot less here.

The cheapest used e92 M3 in the most popular car site, from late 2007 with 55k miles goes for £45.4k.

And to make you laugh now the cheapest mx-5 goes for £3.6k. It's a 1.6 model from 1990 and it has 75k miles on the clock.

Now have in mind that the anual wage for most people here is around £6-8k.

The cheapest new Corvette costs £114k here.

Updated January 30, 2013 at 8:50 PM

If it's any consolation, you have to pay sales tax on used cars in the US. 8% here. Yeah I know...

JustMax said...

If it's any consolation, you have to pay sales tax on used cars in the US. 8% here. Yeah I know...

Ha, I found that out when one of my house-mates just bought a 2007 Civic. Apparently, used cars hold their value quite well in NJ anyway.

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

JustMax said...

Ha, I found that out when one of my house-mates just bought a 2007 Civic. Apparently, used cars hold their value quite well in NJ anyway.

Yes they do. In particular the larger cars don't plummet like they do in the UK as V8's doing 20mpg don't put people off. After the initial depreciation prices flatten out and don't seem to drop that much.

Kad, if taking your base price of a GTR is €75599.98, then the same car in Ireland works out at the following

Base price: €75599.98
VAT @ 23%: €17,388
VRT @ 36% of base price + VAT: €33475.67
Total €126463.65 or £108,464 UK.

So, it is worse for us here! This is one competition I wish I didn't win. Granted though average wages here are higher than stated above.

On top of that we also have road tax to pay per annum. On a 2013 model GTR it is €2350 per annum.

Updated January 30, 2013 at 10:56 PM

JustMax said...

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

JustMax said...

Yes they do. In particular the larger cars don't plummet like they do in the UK as V8's doing 20mpg don't put people off. After the initial depreciation prices flatten out and don't seem to drop that much.

Our host did previously suggest that her mechanic friend has a 90's Volvo of some description for sale. He wants $5000 for it :lol:

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

JustMax said...

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

JustMax said...

Our host did previously suggest that her mechanic friend has a 90's Volvo of some description for sale. He wants $5000 for it :lol:

Yep, real shitters when you get down to $5k :lol:, especially as there is no MOT, only emissions checks!

I shudder to think what Beany's Puma is worth over here! :D

JohnmcS2000 said...

Kad, if taking your base price of a GTR is €75599.98, then the same car in Ireland works out at the following

Base price: €75599.98
VAT @ 23%: €17,388
VRT @ 36% of base price + VAT: €33475.67
Total €126463.65 or £108,464 UK.

So, it is worse for us here! This is one competition I wish I didn't win. Granted though average wages here are higher than stated above.

On top of that we also have road tax to pay per annum. On a 2013 model GTR it is €2350 per annum.

How exactly do you 'win' if the price here is £109.690,50?
Like kad said, in Portugal if you want to own a decent car you have to be way above the average income.. or just spend money you don't have like many people did here, but that didn't end too well for the most.

Updated January 31, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular