Forums > Geeks corner > What Phone?

WHAT PHONE?
Previous | 123..6..91011 | Next

It's coming up to renewal time for my mobile phone contract. I currently have a Huawei Ascend G300. It's ok and the year I've had it hasn't exactly been hell, but I've come to the realisation that I am a bit of power user and I have to pay for that by getting a better phone.

Prior to to the G300 I've been an iPhone man and I'm highly tempted to return with a 5, but I know that the next one isn't that far away, so dropping a large amount on the current one is putting me off a bit.

Other temptations have been the Nexus 4 and the Lumia 920, but I think these could well be replaced in the very near future.

If I'm going to go Nexus, it'll be sim free, otherwise it's on contract.

I'm willing to put £100 up front and £30 per month and I need at least 400 minutes, a lot of texts and 250mb (as I'm on WiFi pretty much everywhere).

What is the forum consensus? Anyone been particularly happy/unhappy with their phone choices? Is there a new wave of tech on the 1-2 month horizon?

HTC One X+ or Nexus 4.

The S3 isn't a bad phone but I don't like Samsung's software.

Or try the BB10?

Bear in mind that the new smartphones will be out soon.

Xperia Z is out soon, and the Galaxy S4 shouldn't be too far away either. HTC will probably have something too.

Alex88 said...

Xperia Z is out soon, and the Galaxy S4 shouldn't be too far away either. HTC will probably have something too.

When will they be though? Is it worth waiting? I've never been one for waiting too long. You gotta hop on the tech train at some point!

Still very happy with my SGS2. It does everything I want it to really well. I was worried about it feeling old tech by the time my 2 year contract was up, but TBH even having had a few plays with an S3, I'm not really fussed about changing it. Contract is up in Oct, so the new generation should have come out and then dropped in price by then.8)

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

GK1985 said...

Alex88 said...

When will they be though? Is it worth waiting? I've never been one for waiting too long. You gotta hop on the tech train at some point!

Samsung tend to announce stuff around Feb but can't really say when they'd release it. Probably April.

I get what you're saying but I personally couldn't buy something knowing the replacement is due soon.

If you want to buy now, I'd go for the Xperia Z. Better screen than anything currently for sale, waterproof and dustproof and is getting some pretty good reviews

Xperia Z is out Mid Feb apparently. Great specs and being water proof (1m for 30 mins) and dust proof makes it very appealingl

The blackberry Z10 is out tomorrow. I've used some preproduction units, and now seen finished ones. They look great. Really, really good.

New S4 will probably be even bigger again, so i'd give that a miss.

I use a Nexus 4, its really good, and very glittery.

RichardMajor86 said...

Xperia Z is out Mid Feb apparently. Great specs and being water proof (1m for 30 mins) and dust proof makes it very appealingl

The blackberry Z10 is out tomorrow. I've used some preproduction units, and now seen finished ones. They look great. Really, really good.

New S4 will probably be even bigger again, so i'd give that a miss.

I use a Nexus 4, its really good, and very glittery.

Samsung phones just don't interest me. Think it may be the design.

I haven't given the BB any thought but will have a look when it hits the shops. Is the Nexus an S5 / iPhone 5 competitor?

The Nexus 4 is in the same category as the Galaxy SIII and iphone 5 - but at a bargain price.
There were supply problems (so some people sold them at inflated prices) but now it's apparently sorted out by Google (and LG who manufactures them) so you can buy one from play.google at the official price which makes it exceptional value for money.

--

Pilouil
Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 69.0424 bhp

You cant argue with the price of a Nexus 4! GOOGLE PLAY STORE

Slight downers from it, the battery is fairly crap (i think this is about par though) and the Camera is also crap (read cheap).

Has Richard pointed out that he has a Nexus 4 yet? And that he got it cheap through work? :lol:

Ordered an 8GB one for my g/f yesterday. Since I'm paying for it I'm going to have a jolly good play with it.

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

Jobbo said...

Ordered an 8GB one for my g/f yesterday. Since I'm paying for it I'm going to have a jolly good play with it.

The phone or the g/f? ;)

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

duncs500 said...

Jobbo said...

The phone or the g/f? ;)

:lol:

duncs500 said...

Jobbo said...

The phone or the g/f? ;)

I'll see what she thinks of the phone then tell you :lol:

--

JL said...

Oh b*llocks you're right

Galaxy Note 2 as it's full of awesomeness and is thoroughly shithot.

nexus 4 for all round excellentness. galaxy note 2 for all round hugeness and nearly-as-excellent-as-the-nexus-4-ness.

phut said...

nexus 4 for all round excellentness. galaxy note 2 for all round hugeness and nearly-as-excellent-as-the-nexus-4-ness.

This is my plan for the two phones I need - Nexus 4 will be my personal phone till that contract comes up for renewal, at which point I'll get a Note2 and use the N4 as a works handset and get them to chop that for a SIM only deal.

Can't be deeved with midrange phones, nothing but compromises.

Edit: Just dropped £280 on a Nexus 4. Oh yes.

Updated February 2, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I'm so tempted by the Nexus 4 - only two things holding me back:

- suspicion that there may be a 32GB version around the corner (as happened with the N7) - 16GB just isn't enough

- lack of removable battery and an SD card slot...

But they're very good phones.

On a related note, I've been using a new Blackberry Z10 for a few days. And I'm very impressed. Physically a very nice device and they've done a great job on a "new" touch screen UX - without just making another iOS/Android clone.

Of course, it won't save their bacon, but it could manage to retain the Blackberry loyalists (although I suspect for most of them, it's the physical keyboard that they really like about BBs)...

Major iPhone annoyance since 6.0 is that iTunes gets shut down randomly when you're not using it. If you're playing 5 min songs then no big deal but when the Essential Mix you're listening to starts at the beginning again after you've not used the phone for a few hours it's annoying!

PugRallye2 said...

I'm so tempted by the Nexus 4 - only two things holding me back:

- suspicion that there may be a 32GB version around the corner (as happened with the N7) - 16GB just isn't enough

- lack of removable battery and an SD card slot...

But they're very good phones.

On a related note, I've been using a new Blackberry Z10 for a few days. And I'm very impressed. Physically a very nice device and they've done a great job on a "new" touch screen UX - without just making another iOS/Android clone.

Of course, it won't save their bacon, but it could manage to retain the Blackberry loyalists (although I suspect for most of them, it's the physical keyboard that they really like about BBs)...

We had half a dozen SMEs who used Blackberry for mobile comms/tasking etc.

The last one has bought a job lot of mixed EAS capable devices.

The attitude towards blackberry in companies that don't have tens of thousands to spend on dedicated infrastructure is demonstrated by the fact that when the general manager of the company told me their iPhones had arrived, and they didn't have to deal with the BBs needing activation, the server module locking up and requiring a full restart (a known problem with no fix) she literally, no word of a lie, did this:

SMBs who aren't rolling in cash (IE all of them I've met) hate their BBs/BES, and are staggeringly glad that EAS/iPhones/Android can now do 90% of the functionality for far less cost and complexity, if end to end govt level encryption isn't required - just mobile email and calendaring. Now that BES isn't even remotely required for this, they are glad to see the back of it.

Previous | 123..6..91011 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular