Forums > General > Used Coupé Ideas...HELP!

USED COUPÉ IDEAS...HELP!
Previous | 123456 | Next

People of EVO I need your help!

I am in the fortunate position to be looking for a car to replace my aged and veryyyy boring VW Polo. I have a budget of around £19,000 and up to £4,500 to spend on insurance (yes you are reading the insurance figure right, i'm only 19!). Practicality is not a priority and I want someting a little exciting, an auto box preferably with a DSG/paddle shift (yes the enthuiasts are screming that it's impossible) but I do a lot of town driving! At the moment i'm looking at TT's, Sciroccos and those sorts of Coupes.

Any Suggestions?

Please HELP!

--

An automotive photographer...check it out! www.facebook.com/zaidhamidphotography

I'd suggest not spending £4.5k on insurance.

--

Cheers,
Mike

Grabs Pupcorn.

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

I agree with Mike. In fact I wouldn't spend £19k on a car either at your age. Unless you are pretty flush :lol: in which case:

E46 M3 (possibly even an E92)
F40
Diesel Golf.

With your criteria of DSG, I'd be looking at a gen 2 Audi TT for up to £10k.

I had a quick look at your Facebook page. Keep up the good work :)

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

TBH if I'd choose to spend a lot less than that on something like an e46 coupe, invest most of it for 5 years or so then get an even better car when the insurance is half reasonable.

If you're not as boring as me and do want to spend the ful amount I'd suggest getting a 996 or Cayman S for that sort of money, not sure if you'd be able to get insurance at all though. I just think you'd lose so much money in depreciation and insurance on one of the cars you suggested over a few years on, let's be honest, not a mega exciting car, that you'd be missing out in a few years time when the money could be put to better use IMO.

If you do spend £20k on a car at 19 though, fair play.:D

--

Entirely pointless

ukpete said...

TBH if I'd choose to spend a lot less than that on something like an e46 coupe, invest most of it for 5 years or so then get an even better car when the insurance is half reasonable.

If you're not as boring as me and do want to spend the ful amount I'd suggest getting a 996 or Cayman S for that sort of money, not sure if you'd be able to get insurance at all though. I just think you'd lose so much money in depreciation and insurance on one of the cars you suggested over a few years on, let's be honest, not a mega exciting car, that you'd be missing out in a few years time when the money could be put to better use IMO.

It does rather sound like this gent's rather minted, so let him get on with it ;)

Only trouble is my nephew's first year insurance on his 1.0 Corsa was £3k last year...

Meant to say - like the pics on your Flickr account OP.

Updated January 28, 2013 at 10:58 PM

--

Caterham 7 - Seat, steering wheel, pedals, er... Lights?

Why not buy something a fraction of the price, possibly a FWD, maybe a classic hot hatch. If only here was one with the added oooompf of a turbo. In black. That would be awesome.

If only.

--

GiraffeIT.com / Installations / Support / Training
evo featured Renault Megane R26 (c) Barry Club.

911 C4S.

Job done.

--

Say My Name

I don't get the logic behind "£19k and £4.5k for insurance" - have you some quotes that help us understand what such a ridiculous figure will insure you?

--

Cheers

Rich

it does sound strange, and ever so slightly silly to me too

Nothing vaguely interesting will be insurable for £4.5 like a M3 or an Porsche...

--

Making pancake mix for your mums pancake tits.

I tend to agree with Mito. When I first started driving in 2000 it cost me £800 to insure a 1.1 205. Anything with high performance would have been well North of £2k. Fasy forward 15 years and I'd say £4.5k would be minimum for a 19yo.

--

My Flickr

Invisible Speakers

Presumably it's a £23.5k budget including insurance but you can't bring yourself to spend more than £4.5k on the latter?

mattcambs said...

I tend to agree with Mito. When I first started driving in 2000 it cost me £800 to insure a 1.1 205. Anything with high performance would have been well North of £2k. Fasy forward 15 years and I'd say £4.5k would be minimum for a 19yo.

This. At 28, having passed my test six months previous, a K11C Micra 1.0 cost me £700 to insure in my own name.

With two years NCB, a Puma 1.7 is £650. Bear in mind I'm 30 now and in the sticks.

I'd suggest getting something older and cheaper (lots of decent, reliable, fun cars for under £3k these days - never had it better) and spend the rest on coke and hookers - a far more salient investment 8)

Thanks for all the responses they have all been noted! As for those who recommend me waiting, yes it does make sense to wait but my polo is literally failing me on the long uni commutes every week...beginning to fall to bits and I would rather get something a little exciting now than have a car to 'bridge the gap' so to speak, until my insurance comes down when i'm about 25 and i have to get something a little more sensible. I am planning to hold out until May: Admiral will insure me on a lot of 2.0 turbos for about £2750 with my families multi-car cover when I hit my 2Oth and earn my 2nd year of no claims (partyyyyyyyy) :D.

Updated January 29, 2013 at 9:35 AM

--

An automotive photographer...check it out! www.facebook.com/zaidhamidphotography

mattcambs said...

I agree with Mike. In fact I wouldn't spend £19k on a car either at your age. Unless you are pretty flush :lol: in which case:

E46 M3 (possibly even an E92)
F40
Diesel Golf.

With your criteria of DSG, I'd be looking at a gen 2 Audi TT for up to £10k.

I had a quick look at your Facebook page. Keep up the good work :)

Thanks for the suggestions, will be sure to have a search for an E46! And thanks for having a look!

--

Rich B said...

I don't get the logic behind "£19k and £4.5k for insurance" - have you some quotes that help us understand what such a ridiculous figure will insure you?

VW Scirocco, 2010 TT: £4477 with Admiral (yet to put it into multi-car) fully comp with a £500 Excess

--

ukpete said...

I took a look at a couple of Caymans, no insurer dare to even quote me! Having looked at all the recommendations of a short term car between now and my 25th I am considering it. Thanks!

--

I'm 25 and my insurance renewal for the Scirocco last month was £501 (including breakdown etc) ;).

Pays to wait and build up some serious no claims.

--

3 - 2 - 1 - Go.................

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

I'm 25 and my insurance renewal for the Scirocco last month was £501 (including breakdown etc) ;).

Pays to wait and build up some serious no claims.

If you got a budget of 19k at the age of 19, I guess waiting is not really a necessity is it? Still stupid spending this amount of money on a car at that age, let alone insurance...! IMO.

Previous | 123456 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular