Forums > General > Withdrawal symptoms

WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS
Previous | 12 | Next

I miss driving :(.

I could rent but at $500 per month (exc. insurance + taxes) for a Chevy Spark, no thanks. Public transport is fine but still pretty expensive at £120 per month which includes a 2 hour train + 30 minutes walking commute. So, I've decided to buy a bike and cycle to work; in the middle of nowhere, through a forest with deers (and bears, apparently) at -15oC :lol:.

Went for an entry level road bike which was on sale:

It's going to be interesting few months!

Are you over 5 foot tall?? That's a very small bike :D

I'm about 5ft4 so it's a 50cm :lol:.

Updated January 26, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Hope you enjoy it. Sounds like a good place to ride - away from the traffic....?

Where has bears? :?

mik said...

Where has bears? :?

FYI

Aha. I'd forgotten about that -apologies mr tbc. :oops:

So how is it going? Where in NJ are you?

Aww bless you that is tiny. 8)

It's adequate, alright! :lol:

@ Mik, thanks for asking.

I'm based in Stirling but work at Madison. NJ is a lovely place and I've settled down much quicker than I expected. The people are really helpful and pretty fit (where are all the fatties?). The only current downfall is the baltic weather. It's stupidly cold; I will never moan about it being chilling in Scotland ever again. Also, they don't understand my half Glaswegian, half Ayrshire accent :lol:.

Updated January 27, 2013 at 1:24 AM

That's fair enough - i'm taking eldest miklet down to play Rugby in Ayr tomorrow, so I've had to dust off my 2003 edition of "speak ayrshire" for him to read in the car.

If the train takes two hours how long is it going to take to ride? :shock:

At least you have half decent roads - I'm going out of my head for not driving or riding since xmas.

(it's sunday and I'm bored out of my head in this shitty city)

--

Bunta's Tofu

Dr.(tbc) Alex said...

It's adequate, alright! :lol:

@ Mik, thanks for asking.

I'm based in Stirling but work at Madison. NJ is a lovely place and I've settled down much quicker than I expected. The people are really helpful and pretty fit (where are all the fatties?). The only current downfall is the baltic weather. It's stupidly cold; I will never moan about it being chilling in Scotland ever again. Also, they don't understand my half Glaswegian, half Ayrshire accent :lol:.

My Mum's family are from Newmilns, and that is one hard accent to understand :lol:

--

Out of step with the forum.

Didn't realise you'd moved to the 'states :shock:

* Bunta - the commute only takes that long because there is no direct route so I have to switch trains. Cycling takes about an hour. And you're right, there are some nice roads here and excellent scenery.

* Rev - :lol:. Back home, I live in Hurlford so it's only 10 mins away from the Newmilns.

* Marv - only for 4 months.

One thing that I've notice about the American's style of driving is that they take an age to come out of junctions, even when it's clear. Plus the majority of roads are much wider than ours but they don't really do walk paths. Then again, they don't walk as it's drive thru central here.

An interesting fact according to my housemates: In the state of New Jersey, you can't buy petrol by yourself. Someone working in the station must pump the "gas" for you :D.

Bunta said...

(it's sunday and I'm bored out of my head in this shitty city)

Have you not got a job at Valve yet? :roll:

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

You're DIW if you live in the USA and don't buy an old V8 muscle car for a few dollars.

It looks like a lovely place to cycle though 8)

--

Entirely pointless

ukpete said...

You're DIW if you live in the USA and don't buy an old V8 muscle car for a few dollars.

It looks like a lovely place to cycle though 8)

Exactly. I was under the impression that they were issued to you on arrival.

--

Plump eyes?

Big respect for cycling in bear country for a 1 hour commute.

Puncture proof tyres? :lol:

Is it a cyclocross bike? That looks pretty rough for a road bike :shock:

Carlos, I actually took a wrong turn there. The locals kept asking if I was lost :lol:.

I was expecting a series of V8s but surprisingly there are more European cars or hybrids around here.

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular