Forums > Moaning forum > DIY bodgers

DIY BODGERS
Previous | 12 | Next

Decorating our k1tchen and today involved papering over the light switches, so I switched the two main lights on and then turned off the breaker off they went so I removed the two switches. As I was tucking the wires away I got the full 240v blast. Some cvnt has wired the under cabinet lights to the fvcking socket ring and run it through the same switch as the main light! Not amused and my fingers hurt. This house is one bodge after another.

How is k1tchen a swear word ffs

Carl

Dr Carlos said...

Not amused and my fingers hurt. This house is one bodge after another.

How is k1tchen a swear word ffs

Carl

Welcome to my world..

How about the dining room table they didn't want to move out of the room so they stained the wood floor around it and hid the unstained bit with a rug.

Or the bed-shaped patch on the bedroom wall where they didn't paint ?

Or the rotten outside door frame filled with white bathroom sealant and painted over.

Or the outside door that has no lintel above it.

Or the k1then sink drainage covered with inches of silicone to stop it leaking when a £10 replacement would have solved it.

Or the small, but clearly visible crack in the rendering that has allowed water to penetrate and now the entire wall render has blown and needs replacing.

Or the bricks that have spalled and rather than replace, they've just cemented over.

Or the electric gates that stopped working, so instead of fixing (it was a blown fuse), they just used a chain and padlock for years.

Or the front door they didn't use that much that was a bit draughty, so they just sealed it up with more bathroom sealant.

And those are just some of the things we've found recently. Honestly, people shouldn't be allowed to do such things to houses.

Updated January 27, 2013 at 3:55 PM

In our house we found the cables for the wall mounted TV had been run up the chimney over the open flame gas fire. There's a double socket in the study where the feed is taken from another socket behind a fitted desk unit. To allow the drawers in the desk to open and close, the cover has been removed from the hidden socket so it's completely open and reachable by little fingers. Loads of things were patched instead of being fixed, the phone sockets are basically a load of extension leads plugged into each other etc.

--

Out of step with the forum.

Don't start me off, a garage>dining room conversion where the so called professional builder removed the lintel entirely! Or the loo overflow that just empties into the cavity wall, the patio doors that don't even close fully, allowing a terrific draught in when its freezing outside..

I'm staying out of this one. I've stopped thinking about it now.

When I re-did my kitchen at my previous house, I discovered that all the cooker power points had been spurred off the cooker. :shock:

--

Something witty goes here.....

Jorg Gray Ltd Edition Watch Number : 313631

I'm a plumbing/heating engineer and I find this sort of stuff all the time- it makes my job all the more difficult. When you do electrical work day in day out you quickly learn not to trust just turning off the breaker. You test everything- worst I've seen was someone used an earth wire as part of the upstairs lighting wiring. The earth wire in the whole house was 240v live

jamcg said...

I'm a plumbing/heating engineer and I find this sort of stuff all the time- it makes my job all the more difficult. When you do electrical work day in day out you quickly learn not to trust just turning off the breaker. You test everything- worst I've seen was someone used an earth wire as part of the upstairs lighting wiring. The earth wire in the whole house was 240v live

Just remembered the boiler and programmer wiring. It took my old man who used to wire houses 3 hours to work it out. Still we are done now and it looks as if prices in our area have risen. So I think I'll call a new agent tomorrow and see what they think.

Carl.

There's some properly dodgy sh1t going on at my uni flat. All the switches are wired in the wrong way round so off = on :lol:

I'm going to kick the landlord in the nuts if I ever see him.

--

How about not having a sig at all?

Mito Man said...

There's some properly dodgy sh1t going on at my uni flat. All the switches are wired in the wrong way round so off = on :lol:

I'm going to kick the landlord in the nuts if I ever see him.

Check them first. Give them a lick. Seriously. If it feels like a 9v battery on your tongue, it's in need of urgent attention.

You should probably check the sockets too. And the oven.

--

Romantic BDSM

Gloucester's answer to Eddie Jordan

I replaced the face plates on all the downstairs light switches at our old house. Turned off the circuits, checked the wires with my electric screwdriver as a backup, all good. Even the last one, which for some reason I idly switched on immediately after finishing (before turning the circuit back on at the consumer unit); it lit up. I'd done the whole thing live without noticing :shock: - forgot to do my backup check because every other one was fine. Couldn't work out what circuit it had been bodged into.

Updated January 28, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Our old flat was circa 1880 and we bought it from an old dear whose husband had smoked himself to death.

When steaming off teh hideous wallpaper and ceiling paper I had to stop and go for a walk from the nictine dripping out. :?

I also decided to open up a wee loft space half way up he stairs and when I took off a large sheet of hardboard I discovered rotting wood under a skylight. After digging out the rotten wood I had to get a velux window fitted and hen board out the new gap completely. The whole place had just had paint or board slapped over any problem. :roll:

Jobbo said...

I replaced the face plates on all the downstairs light switches at our old house. Turned off the circuits, checked the wires with my electric screwdriver as a backup, all good. Even the last one, which for some reason I idly switched on immediately after finishing (before turning the circuit back on at the consumer unit); it lit up. I'd done the whole thing live without noticing :shock: - forgot to do my backup check because every other one was fine. Couldn't work out what circuit it had been bodged into.

I only noticed mine because I had to grab the end of the wire to push them back into the box so I could paper over it all.
Had to buy a new switch too as I threw it across the room when I get the shock and it smashed!

Carl.

The shower isolator in our (from new) house melted because the live wire had never been tightened, and arced under load.
They randomly decided to install the boiler in the bedroom, not the k1tchen .
In my house in Scotland you could move one of the interior walls by hand, and the k1tchen sockets arced. I had to rewire them. The skirting below the front door was held in place by a blob of silicone. The bottom was hanging above a 3" wide gap leading to the underfloor space. This was hidden by carpet. Quite draughty.
Both new houses built by pros.

My house in town had a single brick extension built without planning permission in the 1990s. It was waterproofed by painting the interior with gloss.
It was so damp it actually sweated on the inside.

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

Oh and the roof has been edged with crap mortar which is falling out. Next door are losing tiles. We've got Starkings trying to move in, and you need a hard hat to put the bin out.

--

Knackered old hairdresser's sh1tter

Carlos, couldn't you check the cables were not live before touching them?:?

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

A mate of mine bought a house where the previous occupant had carpeted up to a wardrobe. And not a built in one - no, a free standing wardrobe :shock: :?:

--

and from the beginning think what may be the end.

Reminds me of when I moved into my apartment here in India - the shower handle was live with mains electricity, which added an extra element of excitement to washing :lol:

I checked a few things around the place with a multi-meter and found that the fridge and microwave casings were both live too...

Turned out the earth wasn't actually connected in the fuse-box :?

Cheers, Rich

--

having sex with three hookers at once and getting your mother to watch a video of it to score you on technique afterwards

duncs500 said...

Carlos, couldn't you check the cables were not live before touching them?:?

I switched one set of lights on and then turned off the breaker and they went off. There were two circuits (the downstairs lighting an the sockets) wired into the same switch.

Dr Carlos said...

duncs500 said...

Carlos, couldn't you check the cables were not live before touching them?:?

I switched one set of lights on and then turned off the breaker and they went off. There were two circuits (the downstairs lighting an the sockets) wired into the same switch.

I got that, but you could still check whether there was any current in the wires you were about to touch no?

--

+ Non-limited edition of the Exige 240R
- Uninspiring soundtrack

Previous | 12 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

Please contact the webmaster if you have any problems or queries relating to this forum.

MEMBER LOGIN

|
Connect
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Subs Info | Affiliate Programme
Our Other Websites: The Week | Auto Express | Custom PC | IT Pro | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | PC Pro | bit-tech | Know Your Mobile | Octane | Expert Reviews | Channel Pro | Know Your Cell | Know Your Mobile India | Digital SLR Photography | Den of Geek | Magazines | Computer Shopper | Mobile Phone Deals | Competitions | Cyclist | Health & Fitness | CarBuyer | Cloud Pro | MagBooks | Mobile Test | Land Rover Monthly | Webuser | Computer Active | Table Pouncer | Viva Celular